Oh my back hurts!!!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by newplayer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Hi,

Please guys, I need your advice. I was just walking around in my room last night,
    not doing ANYTHING fancy, I sat down for 2 seconds and stood up, then all of a
    sudden, I felt a sharp pain somewhere just above my right hip, and all of a sudden,
    I couldn't even seem to stand up without a lot of pain!! I thought I might have
    twisted my spine or something, so I tried to move my waist -- it was pretty painful,
    so I decided to lay down on the bed. Once in bed, most positions are painless,
    however, I get pretty sharp pains every time I tried to flip from one side to the
    other.

Finally, I managed to fall asleep in a painless position, and this morning, the back
    pain seems to have lessened some, but it can still be pretty painful to stand or
    to walk around.

Have I just pulled a muscle which would heal itself in a couple of days? Or have I
    done some serious damange to myself?

Thanks a lot!!

NP

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    nasty - sounds like you've trapped a nerve.. best thing to do is rest and get some information from the doc on stretches you can do to 'untrap' it.

if your young you should be able to recover pretty quick from this. i've had a trapped nerve for over 3 years - but with stretching, and careful posture exercises the pain is completely manageable..

hope this helps

Coops

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Back muscle spasms? I used to get that sometimes after a baddy session when I don't stretch down. Also, the bed could be a factor as stiffer mattresses (cheap IKEA ones) doesn't support the back in its natural S-curve.

4. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Thanks a lot!! It really helps! So, would you mind telling me how a nerve can be
    trapped and untrapped? How does one get a trapped nerve? I wanted to see
    a physio today, but they've all been booked out, so there was not much I can do
    about it, maybe I will see a GP or some other physio tomorrow.

So, when you say that you've had a trapped nerve for 3 years, do you mean the
    pain has lasted for 3 years, or it keeps coming back for 3 years? Are you still able
    to play badminton?

Thank you.

NP

5. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Oh, that could be it too!! I had a pretty exhausting session on tuesday and I
    didn't stretch down (I don't actually stretch down at all). So how exactly does
    back muscle spasms happen and how did you feel when it happened to you?
    Most importantly, how and how long did you recover from that?

I actually have a rather expensive bed, and the mattresses is pretty soft. I think
    it's my posture that's making things bad .... :crying:

This really happened at the worst possible time ... I had to give an hour-long
    seminar today -- standing up!!

I still want to play badminton tomorrow .. :eek:

NP

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Usually it's one initial sharp pain followed by rippling waves of mild aches except it subside when I massage it. You work your back more if you're a wristy player who does alot of over the shoulder shots and/or taking the shuttle really late overhead. It's more of a symptom of a weak back. When I started doing exercises that works my core (back, abs, etc...), I got no more back problems. Then again, my form has gotten alot better so that could be a factor as well:p.

7. coops241180

Product Owner
    mmm, well the way you described the pain you got is very similar to mine when it recurs.. it feels like something jsut pings in my back - and it's usually doing something really simple like getting up from a crouched position at the net.

i'm quite a tall person and the physio said i had bad posture, my lower back has been out of position for years and caused my hips to rotate to the point where the bones/muscles lean on a major nerve (happens to be the sciatic nerve in my case - which is the major nerve bundle that runs down your leg)

don't worry - it doesn't stop me from playing at all, i just have to look after it, always stretching in the morning and the evennig and before and after matches. i was taking anti-inflammatory's for a while, but after about 18 months of good posture and stretching the pain is small enough for me to cope.

the physio or your GP will figure out exactly what it is that you've done. it seems unlikey that you've pulled a muscle if you weren't doing anything strenuous.

trapped means simply that the muscles around a nerve are puttng pressure on the nerve which causes the pain which can happen during normal muscle movement on rare occasions.

utrapping simply means releiving the pressure permanently by putting the nerve / muscle back where it should be :)

hope your GP / physio can sort you out. but if you've got bad posture - you could be in for the long haul like me...

cheers

Coops

8. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Thanks a lot coops!! I really appreciate your comments.

Arghh!! I'm really sorry to hear that. What you just described sounds really similiar
    to the pain I'm experiencing! When I move my leg to trigger the pain, the pain goes
    all the way from just right above my right hip down to my right leg on the outside
    of my thigh -- this must be the major nerve boundle that you are talking about!!

Oh good, I'm really impressed that you are still playing badminton after all this. I think
    I will take some ani-inflammatory gel today and see if it can easy the pain. I'm seeing
    a GP the first thing tomorrow, then I'm going to play some badminton! What kind of
    stretches do you do, by the way?

Um... that's probably what happend to me last night, I will ask the GP tomorrow
    about it.

Thanks a lot!!

NP

9. coops241180

Product Owner
    ah right - defo sounds like a trapped nerve if the pain runs down your leg.

i can't really describe the posture ones, they're hard to explain without showing you in person...

the stretched i do tho are...

hamstrings and quads - the normal ones - make sure you back doesn't arch when your doing quads - push you hips forward and you shoulders back...

back - lay down on your back and bring one knee at a time up to your chin - or as far as you can.. then do it with both - you should feel a stretch in the middle of your lower back.. try to suck in your guts while you do it - seems to improve the stretch.

now do one leg at a time again, but this time bring your knee across your body towards your shoulder - this one could be quite difficult on the leg your getting pain down - but persevere as this apparntly could untrap the nerve since it's near the root of the sciatic nerve..

hope this helps.

try looking up sciatica on the interent and stretches - that might help..

Coops

10. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

It helps heaps!!! Thanks so much!!

NP