Danes at Glencoe

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Did anyone of you Canadians go and meet the Danes when they visited Glencoe?

2. May

May Guest

cooler said that he didn't knw abt it.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i knew abt it afterward :(
    mag, better check on Camilla M. webpage for some recap.

4. Not Fair

Not Fair Guest

So sad to tell you all that Badminton Canada did not notified the public about this! The Elite Training Centre that happened to be at Glencoe (is actually a private club) is only serving Albertians. Other players from other provinces had to find their own way out! No wonder Badminton in Canada never being promoted! Thanks to these bunch of selfish people!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

hey, i live only 20 min drive from glencoe and neither myself nor my friends knew about it. I went to glencoe a week after and i saw lots of posters still plastered on their walls advertising this exhibition. I guess those posters never gotten beyond outside glencoe.

6. Not Fair

Not Fair Guest

That's even worse, Cooler! Both Badminton Canada & Glencoe had to have a good explanation about this! Was it hosted by the Canada Elite Training Centre which involved Badminton Canada or was it hosted by Glencoe Club? But one fact for sure is: From World Badminton news "On the invitation of Canada's Elite Training Centre in Calgary........." which means the invitation is from Canada's Elite Training Centre.

What a shame!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I can't understand the non-publicity for the Exhibition match. Mind you, there was a demo by some China players in HK and I only knew about it through the grapevine.

8. Resistance

Resistance Guest

it is no wonder why Badminton do not get a the recognition that it deserves... These exbitition matches or whatever demos we call them, are of world class quality but brought to you by a bunch of baffoons who knows nothing about promotion, markeing, or branding... it is a very u ncoordinated effort in all aspect.

Don't get me wrong.. I love badminton but I am just very frustrated if not pissed at how Badminton Alberta handles its events. We pay $25 a year and I do not see any value in these membership fee. I mean, our ranking sheet is updated every 6 months... what is the point. Cheung wrote:
    >

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

resistance, very well put, that's why i'm not a member of badminton alberta. They don't practice what they preach.

10. Chris

Chris Guest

You've said my mind, Resistance! Have you seen the message Dave MacMaster posted this morning in the Guest Book of Badminton Canada? Why didn't he posted the details of the camp instead of asking people to send him e-mail about any questions! Also, the website for Badminton Alberta had not been updated since Jan 26, 02 (usually it'll be updated by Jeff everyday if not every other day). Do they not have any guts to prove they're not a bunch of idiots?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

2002 demo

Well well well, look like our bitching is paying off. On Dec 18th 2002, glencoe is hosting exhibition matches. I don't have all the detail yet but i think 2 top danes will be there playing XD an MD, plus.... Kelly Morgan. Last time i saw her was like 8 to 10 years ago and she had the smoothest strokes i've seen. I'm sure she is even better and stronger now. The cost is 5 CAD per people and the money collected goes to a charity. Seating might be around 200 to 300 people. When i get more details, i'll post them here.

12. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    You guys are a little off base here. The Glencoe foots the entire bill for the players to come here and brings them here to play and help the Glencoe players. Badminton Canada nor Badminton Alberta pay a dime so if the Glencoe doesn't want to advertise or let the public into their event that's their call. I'm not a member of the Glencoe so I'm not just defending the Glencoe from that perspective. If someone wanted to help the game then let them get some players and see how many people show up. I remember in the early 90's the Canadian Open was held at the U of C and the first year one of the Sideks were here. The crowds were good but the next year attendence was poor and the third was miserable. Corporate Alberta supported the event for the first two years and backed out the third. TV coverage was good but no sponsors. At least the Glencoe brings the players here to help the training centre guys get better and if we get some International results from it then great. Then maybe we can blame CBC for not broadcasting a sport that so few people watch. Stop dumping on Jeff Bell from Badminton Alberta. He does a great job and if your rankings aren't up to date then maybe you can volunteer some time and help him out. Bad Alberta pays the bills and keeps raising funds to help grow the sport.

Cheers
    Eggroll

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

The players to be at glencoe on dec18 are

jesper larsen (denmark, 13th MD)
    nathan robertson (england, current 2nd in XD)
    kelly morgan (wales 15th WS)

#13 cooler, Dec 14, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2002