Korea Players

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by GTO-demon, Aug 20, 2005.

1. GTO-demon

GTO-demon Regular Member

student
    can anyone post some korean MS, MD, MX, WD,WS players?? haha...
    thx

2. Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Regular Member

diploma student
    i can post on here if i managed 2 take a photo with Lee Kyung-Won during d Malaysian Open last month!!
    i got her at d gate but she was so rushing tt she had 2 reject me...
    i was sooooooo disappointed!!:crying:
    i like her u know, she scream a lot on court though i think she is very cute!!!!!!!!!

3. event

event Regular Member

4. GTO-demon

GTO-demon Regular Member

student
  5. littledumbduck

littledumbduck Regular Member

05WC pictures

Lee Hyun Ii
    Hwang Ji Man (i think)
    Lee Jae Jin

Attached Files:

6. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

I just made a research of park tae sang in the world ranking .. and surprisely i didn't find him ! :eek:
    Did he retire ?? he was young .. of maybe he has been fired .. don't know :confused:

7. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    hmmmmm anyone know wat happened to ha tae kwon ? seems like he disappeared after the surdiman cup...

8. sugar_free

sugar_free Regular Member

University Student (Dentistry)
    Seems that there are many korean players missing from the international stage:crying: ... First Lee Dong Soo, Kim Dong Moon and Ra Kyung Min, then Kim Yong Hyun, followed by Ha Tae Kwon... Is it true that Ha and Kim are coaching the Korean national team now? How about Ra Kyung Min? I haven't heard any news about her, the last one is about her relationship with Kim:D ...

9. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    All of the them, except for Ha Tae Kwon, have retired. You can do a search on each of them. They are still playing competitively within Korea.

10. sugar_free

Glad to hear that... Thank you for the information...

11. event

event Regular Member

Cheongsa is right about them all retiring except for Ha Tae-kwon. All four from the Olympic finals are still playing for Samsung Electromechanics. See this link (in Korean):

http://www.hi-clear.co.kr/doc/team_info/profile.jsp

Ra Kyung-min is still playing for the Daegyo Noonnopi team and she and Yoo Yong-sung are trainers for the Korean National Team. Kim Dong-moon was apparently helping coach for the Worlds in August but I don't think that is a permanent position. Other threads here mention that he is looking for work and English study opportunities abroad.

Kim Yong-hyun is the real question mark. His last international result was the quarter-finals of the China Open in Nov 2004 with Lee Hyo-jung. After that, she seems to have been paired with Lee Jae-jin from the Indonesia Open onward. The only results for Kim that I can find for since then are domestic. He and Jeon Wol-shik when they lost the final at the Korean nationals to Kim Dong-moon and Lee Hyo-jung in Dec 2004 and he reached the semis of a domestic tournament in early June, playing with Kim Sang-soo. Losing his partner to Lee Jae-jin could be for performance reasons but not even playing on the national team in 2005 sounds like injury. Still, his mixed partner got paired with a rising star and his doubles partner(Yim Bang-eun) got paired with the only old star left (Ha Tae-kwon). Maybe they just don't want him any more. He's older than I thought. He was born in '78. He's now playing for the Dangjin County team. In other words, his team is sponsored by a local municipality as are Shon Seung-mo's, Lee Hyun-il's and Lee Jae-jin's domestic teams.

12. sugar_free

Thank you so much for the information, event... You seem know all about the Korean team:D ... Korean team is really strong and they (the Korean players) are really nice to the fans too...

13. event

event Regular Member

I don't know that much but I can read the websites. I also regularly saw most of the players you mentioned because they were training with their Samsung team at my gym all through May this year. They also show the domestic tournaments on Korean TV once in a while, not always live.

I'm glad you've had good experiences with the players as a fan. I try not to bother them both because I'm pretty old and because whenever I see them, they're in the middle of doing their job. I've heard that Kim Dong-moon had a lot of fans in Indonesia and I wondered whether it was a novelty for some of the Koreans to be treated like celebrities abroad. They are obviously celebrities in badminton circles here but I'm not so sure about outside that. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them could walk down a crowded street in jeans and a T-shirt and not be recognized. That is certainly true of non-Korean players. A friend of mine from Indonesia told me he bumped into a former Chinese world champion in a market in Seoul and he was the only one in the crowded marketplace (or in the whole city?) who knew who she was. Even the average badminton player here doesn't pay much attention to the world scene.

I've often thought of the novelties that some celebrities may find if they can't get any privacy in one country and then be invisible in another. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Luis Figo or David Beckham could spend days in cognito in several cities in Canada.

14. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I thought I read news here that said Kim Yong Hyun got married and subsequently retired.

He did reach quarter finals of MD in Olympics with his partner beating Lars and LR. Also consistently reaching at least the quarters finals of most of the grand prixs...maybe it was a personal choice, as he would appear to be a useful player to have around to prop up the rankings, so I doubt the squad asked him to step down.

15. sugar_free

I have to tell you that you are so lucky. The only badminton player from indo that played (just for fun) in my gym is Candra Wijaya. His friend is my neighboor. Well, Kim Dong-moon is famous in Indonesia, he's a really good player, so sad he already retired as an international player. But I don't think he is known in Indo outside badminton court or maybe outside Senayan.
    In Indonesia, even a teenage celebrity is more famous than a world-class badminton player. I've seen a badminton player (he had win so many tournaments and has already competed in Thomas Cup at that time) shopping in Ranch Market and only some men recognized him. But I have seen an artist inside a medicine store and all people inside the store recognized him, although the way he act in the movie isn't really good and (in my opinion) only good looking.
    But when I went to Istora Senayan last Indo Open SF, I'm really surprised because so many people recognized players outside Indonesia (Korean, Malaysian, etc) although they didn't wear their badminton jersey. Even they recognized Lee Cheol-Ho, which was still junior player last year. I was really amazed:D ...

16. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Mr. event, can you post a few pics of Han Sang-Hoon and Yoo Yeon-Seong???

17. event

event Regular Member

18. event

event Regular Member

19. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Thank you, Don.