Results 1 to 17 of 30
Thread: SHB 98 or 99?
07-09-2005, 02:45 PM #1
SHB 98 or 99?
Hi guys, I am planning to get a pair of badminton shoes. But i am not sure which one to get. My friend has a pair of 98 and he said it's pretty good. And he told me 99 isnt as good as 98 becuase 98 gives a slight ankle protection becuase the ankle part is abit higher than 99... Which one should I get?
07-09-2005, 11:06 PM #2
get shb99Originally Posted by quik_silver
SHB98 is lighter than SHB99, lower to the floor than SHB 99.
SHB 99 has better cushion, much better sole, wider toe room for comfort fit.
Up to you to try out both and decide.
07-10-2005, 12:07 AM #3
just get shb99, you wont regret...at least i didnt
07-10-2005, 12:18 AM #4Originally Posted by quik_silver
07-10-2005, 12:48 AM #5Originally Posted by Wong8Egg
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM #6
I have both and prefer the 99s.
07-10-2005, 01:20 AM #7Originally Posted by quik_silver
the only differentiation when choosing between SHB99 and SHB98 is the shape of your feet. if you have wide or flat feet, get the SHB99, if you have narrower feet, get the SHB98.
you should have found this info by searching this forum.
07-11-2005, 11:32 AM #8
I prefer shb99 Lo. The material seems to be tougher and the lateral claw seems to work.
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM #9Originally Posted by ants
do u own the shb99 lo?
07-11-2005, 11:51 AM #10Originally Posted by khwong
07-11-2005, 11:56 AM #11Originally Posted by ants
07-11-2005, 12:12 PM #12Originally Posted by khwong
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM #13Originally Posted by ants
07-19-2005, 03:04 PM #14
what if you have quite narrow feet, but also flat footed. wich one should I buy?
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM #15
My 99s are a bit wider than my 98s. I'd say with narrower feet, go with the 98.
Originally Posted by täby_swe
07-20-2005, 08:18 AM #16
Not sure where some of you guys get your info from.
I've bought two pairs of the 99's to replace my two 98's. I still have my 98's for comparison.
I have noticed little difference in the cushioning ability between both shoes, but here are the things I noticed:
The UK sourced 99's are:
1) Definitely shorter, narrower and tighter at the toes than the 98's and more akin to the 89. Having said that, they do stretch a little more width-wise. This is so noticeable that I'm now wearing a UK size 10 on the 99, instead of the UK 9.5 in my 98's. I'm not at that age when my feet are getting bigger either. You can also see the difference if you take a measuring tape to the two shoes. I still have my 95's (UK9) and 92's (UK9) and have noticed that Yonex shoes sizing has changed especially around length over the years.
2) The upper sections are slightly stiffer offering a more fitted feel to your feet than the 98
3) Lateral support in significantly better than any shoe I've tried due to the prominent side support. This supports sideways movement and allows me to change direction faster. Also helped me return to playing after serious cruciate knee ligment damage, as it aids in reducing the amount of sideways knee roll.
4) The 99's feel stronger in the lower section and slightly less flexible than the 98's. Thus providing greater support.
5) Arch support is slightly better too, but I'm sure this is down to the greater hugging of the foot from the sides, due to it being slightly narrower and those lateral supports holding the foot tighter too.
6) The level heel support feels the same, but then again I have a small heel and achilles area.
I have very wide feet that narrow towards the heel and ankle area and always find it difficult to source decent shoes.
I would stick with the 99's. The biggest improvement is in the amount of lateral support, just remember you may find that you need to go up by half a size to get the correct fitting if you are used to wearing the 98's.
07-20-2005, 06:53 PM #17
ShB99 LO have better materials as well. The uppers are tougher than the normal Yonex shoes.