super Dan or disappointment Dan?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by Common Aussies, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Common Aussies

Common Aussies Regular Member

just wondering your thoughts on todays final is taufik that much better, or is it just Dan can't handle pressure

2. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

This is the first time Lin Dan was in a WC final[Taufik was too but he's more experienced]so i am sure there were nerves...completely indicated by the no. of unforced errors he made.But the way he lost,he has defintely let his fans down.I was infact thinking that he had a slight edge over Taufik.But hats off to Taufik for such a brilliant display.

3. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering if this has anything to do with Lin's match with Peter at SF? Wasn't he seen somewhat limping or holding his ankle? Maybe there was a problem with his ankle and for some reason he didn't want to say it. Either way I was watching the game and I was thinking: 'this is not the real Lin Dan, there must be something wrong with him, physically or emotionally'. What was even more puzzling was that he couldn't even receive Taufik's smahes and get the shuttle over the net most of the time. That was appalling! Seriously, what's wrong with him?

4. diablo

diablo Regular Member

I thought I heard from StarSport commentator that Lin Dan was watching his girlfriend (Xie Xing Fang) before so he might not be able to focus well in his match against Taufik. Was that true? I couldn't imagine anything more fatal except than this reason.

5. Darth Andrianus

Student
    You're kidding, right? Man, if that was the case, that would be disaster. Since they have gone on previous tournaments before as a team I'm sure they get to watch each other play their games all the time, so I find this possibility somewhat unlikely .

6. diablo

diablo Regular Member

Anyone who watched the play on StarSport must have heard the comments though I didn't hear it too clearly, cause I was too busy cheering up for Taufik :D

Can someone else confirm if that's true or not? Those of you who watched the show in the US should be able to see whether Lin Dan watched Xie's match against Zhang Ning or not.

I really couldn't imagine any other reason why Lin played so bad against Taufik. He's very experienced and well motivated to beat Taufik.

7. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I don't think it was a case of nerves. Taufik was playing at his very best. He is techincally much more competent than lin dan. Anyway Xie won her match, so how would that have made any difference to LD's perfomance???

8. redrooster

redrooster Regular Member

student

come on mate. i just don't like it when people try to find excuses for lin dan's lost:mad: taufik proved that he had already beaten lin in singapore and now world championships. tell me, did lin watched fang fang befor he was due to play taufik in the semi of singapore?...NO. taufik is just too good for lin in any given day:D

9. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    I agree with redrooster...people are making excuses...as i've said in the other threads, Taufik owns lin dan (2-1) even coming into this tournament...now they are 3-1...and the ranking is very deceiving as Taufik got to play only 5 tournaments...in my opinion, had Taufik played all 9 or 10 tournaments, he will be ranked no. 1...So people, let's not find excuses to the humiliation of lin dan...let's accept the fact that LD has to go back to the drawing board and find ways of beating TH...

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You know what? I have a feeling that Lin Dan may be going the way of Chen Hong in being infected by the Taufit phobia. The next Lin Dan vs Taufit match in a top tournament will be critical as it will either confirm this or provide a lifeline for Lin Dan to regain his confidence.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Agreed....I have said earlier that this defeat (plus the earlier defeat at Singapore) will haunt him from now onwards whenever he meets Taufik!

12. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    i sat where you can see if the players are watching-during the xie xing fong case, i didn't see lin dan watching, but when lin dan was playing, i did see her and zhang ning peaking for a slight second.

13. noeryan05

noeryan05 Regular Member

not only Lin Dan and chen Hong but peter gade christensen too.

14. floorfilla

floorfilla Regular Member

Lin Dan simply lost to a better player. That's it.

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If Taufik owns Lin Dan, then the score would be 3-0 (now 4-0). I hate using a word like "own". I think no player "owns" another.

There are two facts:
    1. Taufik was superior
    2. Something was wrong with Lin Dan
    It is not an excuse. You can see it with your own eyes. I know some people cannot accept fact 2 because it downplays fact 1, but I think both are facts.

16. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    you hate the term "own" because you're trying to interpret it literally...hate it all you want but i'll use it...there was nothing wrong with Lin Dan...Your fact no. 1 made it appear that there's something wrong with LD, which is your fact no. 2 of course... :D

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If there is a figurative meaning to "own", it would be close to the literal meaning.
    If Lin Dan played like he normally did, he would have at least lost more respectfully.

18. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

In the 1st set Taufik didn't even smash once. Both players looked very relaxed and slow.

Unforced errors and net play were Lin Dan's two big mistakes. I don't know if it was psychological or technical.

19. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    lin dan wasnt that aggressive, it didnt show, taufik wanted it more thats why he won

20. Darth Andrianus

Student
    Now that is a very interesting point. I thought about this but not sure if it is true. It could be that even after Lin Dan's victory over Taufik at the Sudirman Cup Final, there is so much excitement/anxiety/apprehension/curiousity/hype around all subsequent Lin Dan-Taufik matches that Lin Dan himself gets completely nervous to a point of being wrecked that he just becomes awkward when playing against Taufik. There might also be a little bit of Taufikphobia around the Chinese national team that contributed to this. I am an Indonesian and I support Taufik but despite all these comments about TH being superior, you still have to admit Lin Dan was just not himself for their past two encounters.