Controling your returns

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Seifer, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Seifer

Seifer New Member

Hi
    I have problems controlling my return it always ends up outside. I cant manage to control this even if i tried weakening the power of the return or changing the style of return. I am currently using a Muscle Pwoer 25 with a yonex bg85 string and I also have problems wehn returning smashes when i block a smash I get to return it to the opponents side of the court but it only gives the opponent another chance for the opponent ot smash. What should i do?

I am open to suggestions.:p

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It sounds to me like it's just a question of practising more. :p

But in order for me to suggest some drills, please be more precise: what type of return are you trying to produce, and in what situation(s)?
    And when you say your returns end up "outside", what do you mean? Do they go long or wide?

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    What type of return?

Short doubles
    Short singles

Flick doubles
    Flick singles
    High singles

What are you trying to achieve when returning?

Short
    Long
    High
    Low

In order for us to help, you need to explain the problem better.

I can tell you something now without any further info though-Your racket WONT make any difference.

4. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    You can't do anything else except practice, practice and more practice. You should try asking somebody shoot high clears to you and again, practice...

5. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    hello Seifer. :D

I agree with what Jamesd20 said. Your racquet won't make a difference. Also, practicing a lot will help (drills, not just games)

(I'm definitely no expert) Just wondering, how high are your clears? I'm just guessing that maybe your clears are a bit flat (meaning, they go up at a shallow angle and go down at the same shallow angle). Your defensive clears should bring the shuttle almost as high as it could go and then look like it's suddenly dropping right on the baseline (or right before it, inside the back alley). Again, I'm no expert. So anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

IMHO, the best thing for you to do is to train under a very reliable coach (and not just get advice from players like me :p) 10 sessions under a good coach (former national or junior national player) is cheaper than a new racquet. :D

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Delayed gratification or instant gratification... which is better?

Seems that one doesn't appreciate the value of coaching until too late down the road while the flashy design and promises of the latest racquets never fail to entice the novices. I paid almost a new mid-range racquet's worth to take formal group lessons this summer and have already reaped some rewards from them. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a new racquet more than a feeling of satisfaction from making a good play/shot/save.

I am definitely looking forward to private lessons from the pros:).

7. Seifer

Seifer New Member

well..i actually emphasized my racquet only to give additional info.just in case you might ask.:p