American commentators are morons

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by westsideweiming, Aug 22, 2005.

1. westsideweiming

westsideweiming Regular Member

Usually, in the badminton videos I download, the commentators are either British or Chinese. The British commentators are sublime and graceful in their language, and display a lot of class and knowledge about the game.

But I was watching the 2004 gold medal match between Taufik and Shon Seung Mo, and for the first time noticed the commentators were American. Now you'd think for something as big as the Olympics, you could get a couple of experienced badminton commentators. But no, it's America, and naturally, the commentators have to be two brainless NASCAR fans who probably bet on professional wrestling.

These guys commentating on this match were the most clueless, vapid numskulls who have commentated on national television.

In the first 10 minutes of the match, I noticed the following:

1. They constantly reminded the viewers about the basics of badminton (you can only score if you're serving, 15 points to win, etc.). While this is extremely annoying, it's understandable, since it's being played to an ignorant, American population.

2. They tried to aggrandize the only "macho" part of badminton - the jump smash - at EVERY DAMN OPPORTUNITY. Of course, it's friggin American television, so it's all about the big dumb browbeating sports with body-checks and tackles. And to "sell" badminton to the American audience, they say "OOHH BABY WHAT A GREAT JUMP SMASH YEEAAHHH" every time someone smashes, as if it's Bret the Hitman Hart instead of Taufik. To them, the jump smash is like the slam dunk of basketball - it's showy but inherently useless unless they get in position to do it, which is the main part of the game. They said "jump smash" like 20 times in 10 minutes. Even basketball announcers aren't that lowbrow.

They actually said, and I quote, "the bread-and-butter stroke for Hidayat is the jump smash." What the HELL? Must they dumb down the game to such obtuse terms? God, they sully the sport of badminton every time they mention the "jump smash" as if it's the only thing they do.

3. They make DREADFUL line and net calls.

In only 10 minutes, they screwed up 3 times.

Taufik was on a 9 point winning streak, and Shong Seung Mo did a cross-court net shot that didn't make it over the net. Like the blind imbeciles they are, the announcer says "well, huh, that ends Taufik's streak." It was only when they watched the slowmotion, zoomed up instant replay when they realized "OH, it didn't make it over the net!"

What the hell!? Even I knew that it didn't make it over, without watching the replay. These Americans. No wonder they couldn't even see the puck on televised hockey.

Later on, Taufik smashed the bird and it hit the tape, but it still went over the net. Again, the announcers said "AH! MISSED IT!"

At this point, I was pulling my hair out. NO, HE DIDN'T MISS IT. You can even see all the Indonesian fans cheering and Taufik pumping his fists. It's so obvious. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!

A few minutes later, Taufik does this awesomely deceptive drop shot that catches Shon Seung Mo off guard, and the announcer actually said "OH WHAT WAS THAT?? HUH HUH HUH..."

Jesus christ, are you functionally retarded? You've never seen a deceptive drop shot? And you're a pro commentator? Oh my god.

Mind you, that was only 11 minutes into the match. I turned it off after that in wretched disgust. There are probably plenty more jewels like these later on. Maybe I'll finish watching these some time and post them.

#1 westsideweiming, Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ha Ha... funny stuff. I can envision your face reddening with rage with every point :D. You should calm down before you bust a blood vessel.:)

3. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

I's what i very greatly feared. Why couldn't they just get someone from an american club to to the commentating? liek from the OC badminton club or whatever? it would have been so much greater. I'm glad I have chinese tv.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    lmao, that is funny. i believe the commentor is some nhl analyzer. but seriously, hes one of those people who make america seem to be full of idiots/morons. :cool:

5. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    copy that whole post and send it to ESPN... haha

6. Pball

Pball Regular Member

"Seem to be...??" How many don't even know their state capital, let alone the nation's??? How many don't even know 3 countries and their capitals.. their Vice president..?? They majority can't even spell correctly.. America is full of it... just look at guy in the White house.. LOL!!! ;)

7. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    AHHAHAHAHHAA.. :D

8. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Am not sure about this.... They manage to made us pay almost US$5 billions in lumber tax which is illegal and now is refusing to pay us back the monies. Pretty smart :rolleyes:

9. Pball

Pball Regular Member

hmmm... maybe you got to deal with the other 2% of the pop... (omigod.. this is getting very near the borderline.. just having a joke.. hope no one takes this too seriously..)

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

interesting post, but you can't blame only the American, it is likely the same if it is boardcasting over here in a Canadian channel.

On the bright side, this is the first time I ever know that badminton have been boardcasted on American TV. :eek:

11. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Actually I'd have to disagree with that. The Canadian woman who did the commentating on the Zhang/Audina game was not nearly as irritating as the americans.

12. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Be kind and forgive them. US is still a baby to this sport. Everyone has their first time, right...? ;) Don't be unhappy.

13. Togey

Togey Regular Member

I wince everytime they say 'bread and butter stroke for Hidayat'... so lame.

Bread and butter?! Are we in the same year?

14. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Well, ESPN in US is new to a lot of sports. (ie. badminton, table tennis, football or soccer even hockey) I just turn off the sound and just watch the grace of net drop shots the beauty of silence. And yes, ESPN is too cheap to fly in a UK commentator. American viewer are use to chennel surfing. Many of the viewers are tuned into the game in the middle of commercial from other channel. I think that is why they keep repeating some of the rules we knew already.

About the bread and butter. I don't think they can call it "THE MONEY SHOT" if you know what I mean.

Whatever is done is done. It will be another 10 yrs before there is another badminton WC in US again. I think IBF is partly responsible on the screw up too.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For this one, I don't think they are wrong.

As u've metioned, the general public in US does NOT know badminton at all. Therefore, repeatly point out the rules is a good education for the general public, to let them play the game the right way. Of course, for ppl like us, who already know the rules in heart, it might be annoying. However, if u want to promote the sport in the "new world", u have to settle with the fundamental. Just try to bring back ur own memory, if u 1st time watch a new sport, don't u want some one to give u the right information such as history and rulez? Rather than being left alone, and don't know what the hell is going on there? :rolleyes:

You won't believe how many times I see the newbies come to gym, serve over head from the baseline, and count with 15,30,40, etc with tennis scores... :cool: However, if u want to get more ppl to join us, be patient, and teach them from the start.

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Maybe they are getting ready for the new scoring system ahead of the game :p

Usually a country willl use it's own commentators and they are normally not badminton fans or players, even at the all england we have a bronze Olympic medalist and her co-comentator who have been doing all the comentary for years and are not too bad but in the studio it is alway someone different with Jo Davies and Darren Hall (I think) basically to play the part of the beginner and have things explained to them by the ex players to make the audience feel a bit better about not knowing anything about the game ;)

There is a plan bahind getting non-pro badminton players as comentators

17. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

they do the same with most sports that are new to them, when soccer started they used american football and hockey guys, they tried the usual sayings. goal tender, shooter, rather then getting in someone to teach them or watch other channels coverage from the country the sport comes from.

18. badm addict

badm addict Regular Member

Student
    At least badminton is being shown...

If badminton werent even on t.v, ppl would still think of badminton as a sport confined to that back yard; ie. noob weak shots, no running involved etc. To this day i have friends who are like: "Oh badminton? that sport isnt challenging at all...like come on, all you do is stand there and hit this lil piece of plastic around." im like..wtf...badminton is an intense sport. *cough* the fastest racket sport *cough* So the crappy commentater is a noble sacrifice if the public are to view badm in its finest; powerful rallies, swift shots and all that good stuff. :p

19. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Yes, I agree that the commentating for the 2004 Olympic Finals was ABSOLUTE CRAP. I was especially stricken by the line "OOHH BABY WHAT A GREAT JUMP SMASH YEEAAHHH". When I heard that line, I was absolutely shocked at the type of commentating being used in a badminton match. I immediately turned off the volume afterward. That comment sickened me because it was very awkward outburst.

But then again, you really cannot blame the American commentators. Firstly, it was an NHL hockey analyst who commentated. His remark is merely normal in hockey and secondly he knows nothing about the game. Thirdly, reminder of the basics is not only a reminder for the commentator, but for non-badminton fans. American commentating is not exactly meant for the average badminton fan, nor even a novice, but for complete beginners and those who do not play.

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

[QUOTE....American commentating is not exactly meant for the average badminton fan, nor even a novice, but for complete beginners and those who do not play.[/QUOTE]

We here are a badminton community. We have different levels of experience in the game but because we are into it, we understand it. When North American TV airs badminton, they are not necessarily preaching to the converted but rather to the new (see above quote). This actually is what the IBF is looking for - a newer audience. Just like the US winning the WC MD is good for badminton, anything that airs is also good. It's just because we are used to a different level of the game that we are critical of the quality of commentary. Think about it. If you were a beginner or someone new watching the game of badminton, it would be useful for the commentators to go through the basics of the game, wouldn't it? Think of yourself in that same position watching a totally foreign sport, if you thought the commentary was over your head, you might switch the channel. Hey, I'd rather have badminton with crappy commentary than no badminton at all or to lose potential audience because they didn't understand what was going on. That said, some proper training of the crew would be certainly help too!