coming to USA

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by taufik-ist, Aug 23, 2005.

1. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    "
    WE NEED UNUSED PLAYERS FROM ANY COUNTRY,
    GOOD SALARY $100.000/YEAR,
    A FORMER CHAMPION WILL BE PREFFERED
    "

who do you think 'the best applicant' ?
    i think xi xua ze must go to america, because he has been 'disposed' by li yong bo :), i think he's still good player

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Do you mean $100 or $100,000 a year? :)

Probably even a level D player won't be interested for $100/year. :)

If it's $100,000/year, probably we can get Taufik or Lin Dan instead of "unused" players. :)

#2 Qidong, Aug 23, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  3. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    sorry, it's based on indonesia currency setting, it's $100,000 :)

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

USD$100K per year for how many years ? I am sure current top players would be interested if the contract is at least five years. The model works like soccer, individual signs contract and play for whoever pays well. At the same time, the player is free to represent his/her own country in major tournaments.

BTW, does badminton have inter-club tournaments ?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If USBA can really offer 100k per yr for badminton pro, then, I am sure many young kids will look up to it, and word hard. This way, US will have its own solid fan / player development base in no time. Even major soccer league players can not get 100k easily. If i can get 100k for salary, i will quit my current job, and work my butt off to be a pro. :D

The sad reality is, USBA used to (several yrs ago?) only 25k / yr (a HS kid working in Burger King full time might get more than that) for their national team coach, and top US pro like Howard or Kevin have to work in Home Dept to just make a living. :(

6. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

I am sure something like this will happen. That will be sad because wealthy country will dominate and local talents will have less chance to participate.

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Well, I think the national chinese second tier player will come if you can give them an US citizenship and a job in Home Depot. Most likely ended up in Walmart because of cheap labor...:D

8. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    Do you really think that this can happen? I don't think so. The USAB's budget is so tight, I don't think there's any room for sponsoring outside players. Hell, even the current US players don't get much funding right now. Another point, why are so many US players scared of imported players, and not just the adults, but also in the junior level too. The new rules about you have to be a US citizen (not even a green card resident) to play under 19 catagories seems ridiculous. Are those parents so scared of their kids not being in the limelight? It should be a motivating factor to push yourself harder, to get better. Not to complain and make rules to lessen your competition. I have always thought that was what playing sports was all about. If there's someone better, you shouldn't be thinking it's hopeless, but it should be more of a goal to beat that person.

9. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I'm actually very happy for the likes of Tony Gunawan, Xia, and even Mia Audina. Their badminton talent has allowed them to seek a better life for themselves in another country. AND that's after they've given so much honor for their former home countries in terms of Gold medals in sports. :D

One of our (Filipino) billiards champions, Alex Pagulayan, is now representing Canada. We're very proud of him even though he now competes against our players. We're also happy for him that he's doing very well personally, and financially.

At the end of the day, it's their God-given right to seek a better life for themselves and their families anywhere they wish. I'm also happy that other countries like the US and Canada welcome Asians (and other foreigners) as their own. :D