Koo Kien Keat

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chibe_K, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I watched TC2004 quarter finals between Mal and INA this weekend and I was impressed with KKK's performance against much experienced Hian/Limpele.

The commentator repeated many times KKK is only 19 years old. Initially, he made many unforced mistakes which gave away the first match easily to the INA pairs. Coming back on the second game, KKK begun to put up a tough fight, even more explosive than Chew, and I was stunt when the Mal pairs managed to take the second game. KKK was fast, and furious. Will he be Mal next raising star in Men's doubles ? Who will be his partner after Chew retires ?

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Actually, Chew is not his normal partner. His regular partner is Gan Taik Chai, who (was injured for the tourney??) So, he won't be missing a partner any time too soon.

China's got 2 young MD pairs who can beat most pairs on their good days. The other nation's top MD are again and will be phazed out soon. But Malaysia may have a top contender in this pair. Only time will tell.

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Gan Teik Chai was not selected in the Thomas Cup team.

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

China has Fu/Cai both in early 20s.

INA has Luluk/Yulianto, young but not sure of their age (must be in early 20s as well)

Mal has KKK and Gaik.

It would be interesting to monitor the development of each pair for the next few years to come. At the moment, it seems Fu/Cai remains at the top, who is the next, Luluk/Yulianto or KKK/Gaik ?

5. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Luluk/Alven is around 24 or 25 years old...

I think that Koo/Gan is still very far behind compared to Luluk/Alven... KKK is good, but he needs more time (maybe another 4 years??) to gain experiences...you can see that he was very nervous during the thomas cup but he has the power and speed to match the chinese players...

6. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    kkk need more experience n yup ceratainly he still need more time....but i hope that he would not be proud after the thomas cup(hope that he not this kind of person) :D.n Malaysia coach will keep an eye on him..hope he n his partner will be next champion

7. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Koo and Chan

I hope that Koo and Chan Chong Ming could be paired up to play together. I believe that Chan is a great player and hope to see him more in the future. Moreover, he is only 24 years old and his usual parter, Chew Choong Eng is already 28.

8. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

By the way, are there any other young/emerging players from Malaysia besides KKK ? I hope it is not only KKK.

9. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    More Young Malaysian To Come

Yes. There's definitely more players emerging from the young Malaysian squad.

I think Kuan Beng Hong , Yeoh Kay Bin , Gan Taik Chai are still young players with great potential.

Malaysia Boleh !!!

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    kkk new partner

it came out in the malaysian news after the TC2004. yap kim hock the Malaysian MD coach reported that after the olympics, the senior pair of Chong tan fook and lee wan wah will be broken. tan fook will partner kkk, wan wah with gan. the purpose was stated as to give the seniors longer 'shelf life', and to let some of the senior's experience rub onto the young players. it was said that they planned to reunite the two young players after the objective was accomplished

so far this was what was reported in the news. only time will tell if it will hold true.

11. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

But aren't Chong/Lee going to retire after Olympics 2004 ? I read about this news somewhere.

Of course, I hope they can stay on for few more years.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They may not retire 'immediately after the Olympics'.

It would be good to partner them with the younger guys. The younger ones can learn faster with a temporary partnership with experienced players.

13. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I certainly look forward to seeing Choong Tan Fook more. But isnt there going to be a huge age gap of 10 years. Are Malaysia trying to create a pair jus like Thailand's Pramote / Tesana. I hope that they really do so. I will really miss Choong if he retires after the Olympics

14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    i believe partnering younger players with more senior players has been a dev strategy that has been around for some time. just take note the past 10 years in indonesian badminton. especially after the split of rexy and ricky i can remember 1 of them pertnering younger players and still creating results. i cant remember who but i think it was with candra, or halim? or was it tony?

cant remember no more???? but i believe results and performance of these young-senior pairs did not compromise(much) on results...

15. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

According to the newspaper, the partnership will be going on for one year which will begin after the Olympics... Choong and Lee will be playing together as well so that their rankings can remain at the top to compete in the World Championships 2005... and after that its time to retire and say goodbye to the fans... (The last sentence was not published in the papers) :)

16. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Cool, if they will play at WC2005, I will definitely see them play live or maybe meet them to get autograph. By the way, I never get autograph from players before, can I just walk up to them and get signature ? Are there guidelines or untold "rules" that I should be aware of ?

17. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    No guidelines, I think, but here are some "useful pointers" to avoid looking like an ultra-no-lifer-of-a-desperado:

1. Smile, make your request politely, say thank you and walk away (whether for autograph or photograph)

2. Avoid unnecessary declarations of love (more likely to be seen in females than males) eg. gasping, gawking, grabbing your friend (if you are accompanied by one) or worse still, screaming.

3. Try not to ask when they are warming up, warming down, just before they play a match or after they have lost one - no matter how desperate you are. You will almost always be turned down.

4. Make your request only once in every tournament. For instance, if you absolutely LOVE Lee Wan Wah and feel that you cannot live without at least 10 of his autographs, you might want to attend 10 different tournaments rather than approach him ten times in a single event. Imagine how embarassing it would be for yourself if he, not to mention his coach, team mates and manager, recognizes you as "the fan who keeps coming back."

One disclaimer though: I have never asked any player for an auto/photo with the exception of Kim Dong Moon when I was half-coerced and half-coaxed into doing so. The above guidelines were constructed as a result of my personal observation of star-gazers and chasers, and are in no way infallible. Any resemblance to the attitude of fans or players, whether living or dead, is purely coincidental. ;)

#17 Adel, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  18. david_lee

david_lee Regular Member

Student
    New double players coming up..KKK

Since 2004 till now, I have noticed a new young double player, Koo Kien Keat..
    He is only 19 years old...
    He is attactive and defensive too...dun forget about his speed also..
    He love to play trick shots also..
    And he looks super handsome during Sudirman Cup 2005 after he had a haircut...
    I think he has the potential to become a TOP player...

What do you guys think about him??

19. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

I think he is an amazing prospect for malaysia, especially after his performances this year, some of his shots were amazing last night, especially with his retrieval of the shuttle, only thing is, how long can his partner now, Chan Chong Ming last for?

20. luvtoro

luvtoro Regular Member

Student/Badminton Enthusiast
    Agree!

YES! HE'S GOING TO BE THE NEXT POTENTIAL DOUBLE PLAYER!
    i have seen him play before in spore open last year... he's really good! so full of confidence all the time! and he's friendly too! (i wook a photo with him :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.