Do you get a harder smash?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jan, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Jan

Jan Guest

I was just wondering!

Do you actually get a harder smash or clear when the head of your racket is heavy? If the streght of the arm increases - of course the speed of the bird does to - but using a lighter racket - it just seems easier to handle the racket faster - thereby hitting the bird harder!

Jan

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    No, I don't feel I get a harder smash with a head heavy racquet. But it is easier to get away with bad technique and still get a decent smash with a head heavy racquet. And if your footwork is bad, you'll probably find that you can be a little more "out of place" and still get decent power. There are of course drawbacks as you know, lack of control and feel is common.

But I don't feel it necessary increases my top smash speed, no.

3. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Same opinion like you nad Mag. Smashing is easier with head heavy racket but as for speed there is no difference between head light and head heavy racket in my case.

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well, supposedly, a head heavy racquet is supposed to add extra weight to your smash, because the head moves down when smashing and if it's heavy, you add some extra weight... but i agree... not to much difference for me... maybe because i've used the same racquets.... and never gone to anything light headed...

5. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Yes I do

Probably because I use a wussy, pansy, light racquet right now to preserve my arm, I do actually get a harder smash with a heavier racquet. It comes down to arm/forearm strength, we all have a maximum speed we can move our arm, if at the point of contact with the shuttle you are moving at the same speed with a heavier racquet as with a light racquet, then the shuttle will go faster. If you slow down with the heavier racquet, then the smash may or may not be slower, it's a matter of degree.

Two equations determine the effect (well actually the angular versions of this do, but linear ones are easier for people to understand)

Kinetic energy = 0.5 m v^2
    Momentum = m v

Okay from these two, you can see that the velocity (speed) of the racquet is more important, however, the amount of energy transfer/acceleration, which lead to the final speed of the shuttle is linearly dependant on mass of racquet (head) as well.