Nylon Shuttlecock Any Good?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by zoro02, Aug 23, 2005.

1. zoro02

zoro02 Regular Member

Hi Guys,

What do you think about Yonex Nylon Shuttlecock? Are they good when comparing to chinese feather shuttlecock. The reason I asked is that it is very difficult to get feather shuttlecock here in Perth (Australia). Even if they sell, they sell unknown chinese brand which is really bad quality. If there is good one (Yonex), they are too costly for weekly supplies.

I have tried Dunlop nylon and they are sloooooowwwwwwwww.............and light. I would think i can expect much better quality fron Yonex nylon, at least better than some chinese feather shuttlecock. Or am I wrong? I never really used nylon until recently (Dunlop).

Have you heard PROMAX brand shuttle cock? That's the one brand I can get from an online Aussie shop at reasonable price.

I was thinking of using Yonex nylon for warm up and occasional friendly match, but use proper shuttlecock for real match.

I am used to using Indonesian Gajah Mada or Garuda which is a reasonable shuttlecocks.

Any suggestions?

2. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I played yonex 300 my whole life and still enjoy badminton

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Best to warm up with used feathers if you're playing feathers in tournament. Nylon shuttles have different flight pattern and will throw you off when you switch between them and feathers.

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yeah, the flight and timing will be different between feather and nylon.

I mainly use the Yonex Mavis 300 (normal speed).

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Even low-grade feathers will (generally) be better than high-grade plastics.

Use plastics only to save money.

6. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Most of the teams in my local leagues use Mavis 370. We've switched for this season to the new Carlton F1 because we can get them in yellow (the walls where we play are a creamy off-white colour).

7. badm addict

badm addict Regular Member

Student
    yeah. i find that feathers go farther and travel faster maybe cuz they have more mass? :confused: while the nylon goes a bit slower. Yonex nylons are pretty good. Best to just stick with either nylon or feathers so you dont hafta keep on adjusting your game to meet the feathers/nylons different characteristics.:p

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Make sure u purchase the right speed. Feather shuttle could be effected by weather condition easily. For example in NY, in gym w/o A/C, even speed 76 could be fast sometimes in hot and humid days. However, in winter, speed 77 or 78 is still alright. ;)

9. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I have been using Mavis 350 and everyone else here in the university badminton club use it as well. We are all happy with it. As far as I know, Mavis 350 shuttle flyies much better than 300 and its performance is close to really Yonex feather shuttles. Give it a try.

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The Mavis 370 also does come in yellow as well, the same goes for the 300 and 350 too.

11. wirre

wirre Regular Member

I think the "problem" for j_e_thompson is that in UK the stores seldom offers yellow. At least when I've been scanning the UK online-shops they only have white. But if you look at the German online-shops they offer both white and yellow. So although Yonex *produces* yellow shuttles, it doesn't mean they are *distributed* on every market.

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Sometimes you have to look else where in other countries where they do as an alternative to find what you're looking for. It maybe true that Yonex UK is not bringing the yellow in, but it's up to the shop to find out or not.

Speaking of that, there is Mavis 500, which I have yet to see but have seen it on US sites.

13. clearalot

clearalot Regular Member

clearing tables and floor
    yellow mavis 300 is very common here

14. zoro02

zoro02 Regular Member

Hi Guys,
    I bought a Mavis 500 (Blue strip - medium speed), and I tested it quickly and it feels like a feather shuttlecocks. i understand the flight pattern wouldn't be the same as the feather but at least it's better than some Chinese cheapo feather shuttlecock.

I'll test it tonight in a practice match and I'll keep you informed.

15. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    We can get yellow 300s (and 10s) in the UK, but not 370s. They aren't even in the Yonex catalogue. We don't get 350s of any colour over here!

16. pommyg

pommyg Regular Member

personally i enjoy feathers but we can all learn from one another here. i thought nylon was more to save money so i have never spent much on nylons.

Pommy

17. zoro02

zoro02 Regular Member

:eek: SALUTE YONEX!

The verdict is out. I thought I will never play with nylon but after testing YONEX Mavis 500 last night I would dare to say I will use nylon from time to time. Here is the verdict.

1) Yonex nylon is way better than other nylon brand (I only tried one brand last week since I can't get good feather). Off course feather will always be crisp than nylon however if you can only get cheapo chinese feather that disintergrate after 4 - 5 smashes and inaccurate flight path, Yonex Nylon is the way.

2) The flight pattern is not that much different from the feather, a bit light but overall performance is excellent. After a while, i did not even think I was playing with a nylon except the crisp music from the feather character is not there.

3) Accuracy and stability of the Yonex nylon shuttlecock is unbeatable when comparing to some cheapo feather shuttlecock and it last off course.

4) Yonex Mavis 500 (blue strip) is responsive as stated on Yonex website. (OK...OK...feather is more responsive)

5) "Shuttlecocks closely approximate the fast recovery, peak & drop, and flight trajectory of feather shuttlecocks" (www.yonex.com) - Now I believe that.

6) It will save cost too...heheheh:D

7) I will still use a feather in a serious match but only Yonex nylon for friendly match.

I hope this will enlighten some of the players.......

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am happy, that you are happy with Mavis 500! Good for you!

But as an "englightenment" to other players I personally couldn't disagree more!

I have played with most plastic (haven't tried the Quill ones yet though), and the ones I've tried (Carlton, Fukuda, Mavis 300,350,370,500) are all CRAP!! The trajectory pattern is awfully flat, so drops and netplay is nowhere nere the natural feather feel. Also a powerful "plastic" smash is almost impossible to return, even without deception/angle, as the plastic bends and gets less air resistanse compared to a feather in high speed smashes.

Generally players who plays mostly plastic develops bad technique (more full-arm, less forearm), generally stays way back on the court beacuse the flat trajacetory of the plastic shuttle that makes it go further into the court on drops, slices, and promotes "lazy" play with a position further back on the court to either go for that one-shot-kill smash or just do high-long clears (attackin clears and deceptive drops are less advantageous due to the flight pattern compared to "real" shuttles).

I would love if someone produced a plastic that would have a good flight pattern and the characteristics of a feather.. But the Mavis series is definitively not it.. They suck big time :)

Also I cannot disagree more with you on your generalisations on "Chinese cheapo shuttles". China produces most of the feather shuttles used by players all over the world. There are of course good ones (like RSL Tourney, Victor Champion etc) and very very bad ones..If you choose to buy bad "cheapos" don't blame the country that makes them.. Blame your store, importing them and making a profit by selling this inferior brand and model to you :p

For me the choice should not be between a crappy feather an a by-design crappy plastic :). But rather between a good quality decently priced feather, versus ´the "cheapo" options.

I have never heard anyone argue that plastic has better playability or characteristics than a good feather shuttle. The ONLY advantage is price.

But just as it would be less expensive to draw your own court-lines outside and use a cheapo set of rackets and net, than to spend the money to rent a "real" court with good lightning and use good rackets, shoes etc.. It does make sense to also pay that extra cost of using real badminton-shuttles as well, instead of an almost-the-real-thing--but-not-quite-there-thing that that plastic shuttle really is!!

:-D

/Twobeer

19. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    There was rumor about synthentic feathers were being developed in subsitution of the feather birds and needed to be approved by the IBF.

20. zoro02

zoro02 Regular Member

Two beer too drunk!

First of all....please read the original and replies first before disagreeing.

I think you should enlighten a bit......why so bloody serious?

I never said that feather nylon shuttlecock is better than good eather shuttlecock. All I am saying is there is an alternative given the situation that good shuttlecock is hard to come by in some places.

Second, I played with feather shuttlecock all my life and I know the difference. For those who think that adjustments between nylon and feather shuttlecock is too much work, then don't play badminton at all. It is a challange for some ppl to be able to play with both and Yonex Mavis is the best when compared to all other Nylons....at least it's better than inaccurate feather shuttlecock. I was impressed with the flight pattern but I never said it's better than good feather shuttlecock.

THAT'S WAS THE COMPARISSON....I NEVER SAID THAT NYLON IS BETTER THAN A GOOD FEATHER!!!
    :eek:

#20 zoro02, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005