Does it get annoying?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Kelvin, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Does it get annoying when some of your opponents continue to serve above their waist??? and then the guy starts to claim you can make contact above your waist???

I believe that is against the IBF law isn't it?
    I usually try to stay calm when I see the guys starting down below, but constantly striking the shuttle at neck level on follow through... give me a break!!

Anywho... I just needed to vent.
    I'm also wondering if many of you encounter this problem with other players as well?

2. jon

jon Guest

never have i played some one that serves at neck level...

even little kids know not to!

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Morten Frost's backhand serve was at Yang Yang's neck level...

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    You betcha!

A player that I played against started with his shuttle hand below the waist and by the time the racquet meets the shuttle, it's at shoulder's height.

I normally take the player aside after the game to point out the fact and the usual response has been "No way, look. Here's where I serve..." and he show me his initial pose.

If the player competes, then he will find out very quickly when he gets penalized consistently but if he is not competing, then I say, just enjoy beating the hell out of him in a game.

Another thing that I find annonying is when you are playing with a know-it-all who is just a lousy player but thinks that he is so great that he starts giving you advice on all your shots.

5. jon

jon Guest

yikes... i sometimes give advice...but to only friends!

... i never knew that they could take it the wrong way!

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yang yang must be crouching pretty low :lol: good deception technique as the net and tapes hide your face from the server.

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

What is waist level has been a question of Judgement! Plp here purposefully wear their shorts Higher up so that the waist is usually much higher than their actual waist height!

I odnt mean that all of them do it but some of them do it!

8. Phil

Phil Guest

I read somewhere that waist level for serving is not your belt level, but your bottom rib. This is why many "pros" seem to hold it so high. Of course, you can't see the ribs, but you can usually tell.

Phil

9. ligak

ligak Guest

it not a problem to give advice, as long it is the right one (universally excepted), not that you think it is the right one or just your own theory.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not unless it was a tournament. I'd otherwise use the opportunity to improve the quality of my return of serve.

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yes it does

Like Phil said, in practice it's the bottom rib that's the limit.

In my club there is a seasoned player who keeps doing these illegal drive serves. He starts out fine, but just before impact he raises his arms way above the waist. Numerous players have pointed this out (some in a rather blunt way) but he just keeps doing it. The guy's probably been doing it for 20 years or so, so I guess it's a tough habit to break! Anyway, pretty early on when I joined this club I decided that I'd just ignore the fault and instead concentrate on finding a way of coping with it. And after a while I did, by crouching <b>really</b> low and just driving the shuttle straight back at his face. Very effective. And voila - he doesn't feed me any of those serves anymore. Problem solved.

At club level, it's usually just not worth the hassle and aggravation. Concentrate on your own game instead. My point is that there IS a way to meet these serves, and very effectively too.

In a competition, I would not hesitate to protest though!

12. Manuel

Manuel Regular Member

Re: Yes it does

Yes I also don't like it too. I try to cope with it but it's always anoying when the guy makes 2 or 3 points with such a serve. I was always told that I should tell the guy that he has a wrong serve immediately during the game so he would get nervous and try to change his serve... sometimes it works but not always.

13. libra

libra Guest

this isn't so much about the high illegal serves, more about the guys who think they are what they are not!

has anyone out there read the 'excuses to give after you lose a game'? from www.badmintoncentral.com

well that list was ment as a joke but this guy really gives those excuses!!!

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

I'm not sure if your statement was directed at anyone (which guy were you referring to exactly?) but I am pretty positive I'm not the only one who gets annoyed at these things, as people have already stated; but I figure since the advice of some more experiencd players here, have mentioned just to cope, I've done that well.

that's funny when they make contact well above the waist, yet I still win the game isn't it?
    Also when others constantly make contact above the waist, or slice their serves, or what other illegal serves there are, I still manage to win.
    If I lose, I dont go complaining their serves were illegal. A win is a win, and a loss is a loss.
    In this case I won, and the player recognized their faults on the serve, and said thanks for not calling them.

I should ask how many more people make excuses when they lose? :lol:
    my only excuse is I played poorly, and the other people are just plain better than me.

15. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student

I don't make excuses, if I lose, I lose. Nothing I can change about it, except learn from my mistakes and improve myself. As for people serving high, I know of a person who throws it up and smashes it for his serve (ala tennis).

16. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Even if the advice is correct it might not be the only correct way to play in the situation. For example I can think of at least 4 ways coaches have said to move to the backhand corner: jump back once, turn, lunge, hit; jump twice, see if you can hit a forehand shot, if not turn, step & hit backhand; jump twice *using right foot only*, turn, step & hit backhand; keep facing forward, step back twice, plant weight on left foot, hit around the head shot ( newest method, I think chinese national team coaches teach this).

17. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Yes. What I have been doing when my opponent serves from too high of a position, or has his racquet head up too high so that it is parallel, is wait until after the point and then tell him or her the pertinent service rule. Since almost all of my play is in an informal league, I have found it works better to educate than to try to penalize a less knowledgeable player. However, if the player knows the rules, I will call an illegal serve if he or she hits one. I think all of the service rules should be enforced equally, not just the one that states that a serve that is too short, long or wide is not good.