User Tag List

View Poll Results: how should a badminton crowd cheer?

Voters
914. You may not vote on this poll
  • loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

278 30.42%
  • loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

490 53.61%
  • quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

117 12.80%
  • dead silence all the time.

29 3.17%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it shld b loud...coz i dnt think the players will hear anything during rallies as theyre concentrating hard at least its like tht for me...i only hear cheers or sounds between rallies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Howard got warned by the Umpire for excessive bragging :)

If he continued he would have been expelled from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GGsally
    Hi everyone,

I just finished my singing on Sunday and it was lots of fun. Hadn't sang for a long time and I do miss my fans. I was surprised the show up in Union Square was so plentiful. The people were warm and wonderful as always. The finalists were surprisingly good but I was disappointed the girls were not as good as the guys. I hope more girls will come out cos goodness knows we need them!

Being a crazed fan myself at the World Championships was also a very exciting experience for me. I didn't realise that watching these games would be so exhausting. We had excellent 2nd row middle isle seats so we were treated to a melee of phenomenal wrist control, ghostly footwork, jumping, smashing, cooolness, stamina, and estactic energy. It sucked the energy right out of me just watching it. I was a complete groupie being introduced to my IDOL PERSONIFIED "SIGIT Budiarto". Fortunately my friend was Indonesian and was able to translate our conversation and she even offered him my phone number much to my astonishment, but luckily I scrambled out of that one, but Sigit was kind enough to give me his number which I will forever put in my badminton historic archives but will never bother him with a call hopefully! Surprisingly, he was so shy he almost shrunk away from me! Can't imagine such ferocity on the court, is so quiet and gentle off. I met Zhang Ning who requested to get my photo but I was more happy to get hers. She is a joy to watch. Like Badminton Ballet, so graceful and floating, she even lost with such grace to the other girl, can't pronounce her name. What about the little miester from Taiwan? Her steely determination to beat all the odds clutched at everyones hearts. We got to talk to some of the players that lost and it was interesting to hear what they thought were the reasons and how truly disappointed they were as well as how they would do it different if they had the chance. The consensous was there was quite much wind blowing the ball and that made it especially challenging.

I had 11 friends with me altogether in ages from 13 to 76. ALL of us thought it was one of the most enjoyable and eye opening experiences for us (and we've seen alot!). To see atheletes of that calibre right in front of our eyes was truly amazing. Lin Dan lost, and America won! Lin Dan, a great fighter, but just not on that night. Maybe another time. I'm sure since he lost, losing to Taufik is worthwhile?? We all have our bad days. Tony did some AMAZING technical magic, but I'm sure Howard worked hard too cos he didn't want to let his partner nor America down, and together, they didn't! Does he matter if Howard bragged a little? I would think he has earned some bragging rights... (I don't understand how some people want to criticise Howard), but it's a free world. He did block so many shots and I'm sure with the pressure to do well, he did his very best and more.

On the whole, I will never forget the close up experience on WC and I hope I will have many more opportunities. Hooray to all the winners.... and ones who tried to win. At least they tried. he hee.. at our club I already see people with "Sigit" shots and Lin Dan smashes, some Taufikness and a few swollen ankles from trying to do the Tony thing. ha ha.. It's so cute to watch and just makes us love Badminton more and more and more......

Hope you all don't mind me just thinking aloud...

Sally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harrycoomer
    If he continued he would have been expelled from the game.
    I'm against call for expulsion in that situation, it isn't detrimental to the opposing side(unless they make complaint)

I just wish umpire and service judges show more leniency on minor infraction that really doesnt impact the rally during crucial moment of the match (unless opponents makes complaint).
    For example, lin dan vs peter gade, 3rd game, 11-12 for peter and servicing underhand, service judge faulted peter for servicing a bit too high. I dont think peter gained any advantages on this error but at this crucial moment of the game, it hurts peter way more than the illegal serve onto LD. Peter never recovered and lost that 3rd game 11-15. I believed that service call secured LD the win IMO.

As for howard's excitement on court, same thing, the umpire should give pause and warnings. I'm glad the MD final outcome wasn't determined by some frivolous penalty on howard.

Take hockey for example, during sudden death overtime, especially on big games, players can basically do illegal checking, punching, grabbing, highsticking, etc while the referee overlook them unless they are meant to injure and/or crucial to the game outcome.
    Last edited by cooler; 08-30-2005 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default at that level it is a mental game

If you cannot handle a bad line call, the umpire ruling against you, the crowd booing or your oponent psyching you out, you should not be in the game.

Lin Dan for instance never had his head in the game against Taufik. After trailing 13-0 in the first game, you think he would change his tactics.

While admiring a braggadocio is a matter of taste, comparing a contact sport like Ice Hockey to Badminton is inappropriate. All the racquet sports are still gentlemanly (and womanly ) affairs. In Tennis they even say "quiet please" .

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    I'm against call for expulsion in that situation, it isn't detrimental to the opposing side(unless they make complaint)

I just wish umpire and service judges show more leniency on minor infraction that really doesnt impact the rally during crucial moment of the match (unless opponents makes complaint).
    For example, lin dan vs peter gade, 3rd game, 11-12 for peter and servicing underhand, service judge faulted peter for servicing a bit too high. I dont think peter gained any advantages on this error but at this crucial moment of the game, it hurts peter way more than the illegal serve onto LD. Peter never recovered and lost that 3rd game 11-15. I believed that service call secured LD the win IMO.

As for howard's excitement on court, same thing, the umpire should give pause and warnings. I'm glad the MD final outcome wasn't determined by some frivolous penalty on howard.

Take hockey for example, during sudden death overtime, especially on big games, players can basically do illegal checking, punching, grabbing, highsticking, etc while the referee overlook them unless they are meant to injure and/or crucial to the game outcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ice hockey is more like a brawl

While admiring a braggadocio is a matter of taste, comparing a contact sport like Ice Hockey to Badminton is inappropriate.
    Yup, ice hockey is more like a brawl than a sport. Badminton, on the other hand, utilizes a multitude of athletic and mental skills without intentionally hurting the opponents. So, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nice Howard

"If you cannot handle a bad line call, the umpire ruling against you, the crowd booing or your oponent psyching you out, you should not be in the game."

I think at that level, and the many years of training to get to that level, which most of us would never see the light of day, all players are quite ready for the challenges of all of the above. But I didn't know Howard was bragging. I kind of thought he was just wanting to get the crowd going and rooting for America. I kind of got caught in the hype too. I'm not even from America and I was rooting (is that right spelling) for them. I did see the umpire give him a talking, but thought Howard's reaction was very respectful. Maybe I know Tony and Howard and they are just such nice people so I want to root for them too. But I just have to say that I admire anyone that can even get near that kind of level. I suppose in any sport too, not just badminton.

I do agree that Lin Dan didn't seem to have too much fight in him, not like his game against Gate. I guess playing against Taufik is alot of pressure especially since Taufik seems the epitome of coooooollnessssss. Such admiration!!!

GGSAL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wmb2002
    Yup, ice hockey is more like a brawl than a sport. Badminton, on the other hand, utilizes a multitude of athletic and mental skills without intentionally hurting the opponents. So, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.
    u didnt get my point.
    I'm highlighting that in hockey, even potential game impacting infraction are sometime left uncall while in peter's case, it was a non-game cruical infraction and was called. This is about frivolous penalty calls, not about which sport has more body contact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you cannot handle a bad line call, the umpire ruling against you, the crowd booing or your oponent psyching you out, you should not be in the game.
    If you can't handle howard's cheering to the crowd, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THE GAME.

oops, too late, another post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't the crowd at WC's nothing compared to a few asian countries? I thought the Malay. open and the Indo open were EXTREMELY loud!!! I have a few DVD's of them and the crowd is crrazzy loud. Though the players didn't try to get a rise out of the crowd, it was still louder than WC's. And i think they should be more leinent like Cooler said, esp during those really close games, you don't want to end the game on a sour note such as PG vs LD or the AE04 MD final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The crowds are indeed rowdier in the Malaysian open..

In particular one clowning around in a Malaysian flag and the Indonesian transvestite section (not sure why they are prominent in KL ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kwun (or other Mods), i suggest post #222 and onward from the thread

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...&page=23&pp=10

be moved to here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In particular one clowning around in a Malaysian flag and the Indonesian transvestite section (not sure why they are prominent in KL ).
    I hope you listen to the webmaster kwun and start a thread of your own to discuss your negative viewpoint of Howard Bach. People who share your views or who feel like debating you can then click on your thread. It was already unfortunate manner on your part to try to hijack the OCBC thread with your less-than-expert putdown of Howard.
    Last edited by Cheung; 08-31-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crowd cheering

I don't know about the crowd cheering cos I've only been to 2 games in my life. One in Gwangchou and Anaheim, but I really was surprised there were still good seats to be sold even on August 18th for the last final games. Besides that, half the people there were people we knew!! 1/5 was from GGBC, I'm sure the others were from UBC and Smash City and OCBC or San Gabriel, then I even met 20 odd people whom I met while I was playing in VRC in Vancouver not to mention my VRC friends who were with me, greeting every 3rd person who came down the aisle cos they are buddies in VRC! So you can imagine the Badminton population here. BUT, thanks to Tony and Howard, I'm sure there will be a BIG upheaval in the game of Badminton and hopefully we will see much much greater audience number, therefore, your screaming fans, will arrive very soon! But I did scream so loud during the final game that we all lost our voice! Isn't that just so fun???

Sally

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    Kwun (or other Mods), i suggest post #222 and onward from the thread

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...&page=23&pp=10

be moved to here.
    suggestion taken... thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professional players should be mentally tough... loud cheers during rallies should not break their concentration. As the saying goes... if you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

All things should have a limit though.... so actions directly affecting players such as camera flashes and throwing stuff into the playing area should be a no-no. I cannot imagine a Ron Artest vs the crazy crowd basketbrawl like incident ever happening in badminton though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carlol
    Professional players should be mentally tough... loud cheers during rallies should not break their concentration. As the saying goes... if you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

All things should have a limit though.... so actions directly affecting players such as camera flashes and throwing stuff into the playing area should be a no-no. I cannot imagine a Ron Artest vs the crazy crowd basketbrawl like incident ever happening in badminton though...
    no just only mentally tough but learn how to challenge external noise (cheering or booing) into your advantage over ur opponents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud cheering during rallies is fine with me. If there is only one moment where there shouldn't be much noise, it is during service. Have you noticed that some people purposely make a loud noise (from some instrument) at the moment of service? That is unsporting.

If you insist on being quiet during rallies, what if there are four courts playing concurrently. Don't tell me the audience will have to quiet all the time.

However, it is not the decible of the cheering that is important. It is the manner of cheering that is important. For me, 2 things are important:
    1. Cheer for your player, not against the opponent. Love is good. Hate is no good. Things like booing the opponent when he questions a line-call should be cut down.
    2. Be sensitive to other spectators. Some instruments are extremely annoying, including those air-filled plastic clappers that are given out free. Do not keep banging on them. Also, if you stand up a lot of times, the people at the back will be annoyed.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast