User Tag List

View Poll Results: how should a badminton crowd cheer?

Voters
914. You may not vote on this poll
  • loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

278 30.42%
  • loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

490 53.61%
  • quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

117 12.80%
  • dead silence all the time.

29 3.17%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would be too busy focusing on their (pros) techniques and footwork to do any screaming although i would be much louder in double match than single match

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the crowd should cheer lowdly all the time!
    This is what makes the game so enjoyable, both for players and spectators!

Personally as a player, whether cheering for me or against me, the more noise the better! That's when I play best!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    I think the crowd should cheer lowdly all the time!
    This is what makes the game so enjoyable, both for players and spectators!

Personally as a player, whether cheering for me or against me, the more noise the better! That's when I play best!

Hi Seven, you seemed to have disappeared for a long while and there is total silence ....

But now you're back, we'll cheer loudly for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    Hi Seven, you seemed to have disappeared for a long while and there is total silence ....

But now you're back, we'll cheer loudly for you!
    Hi Loh,

yes I have been quite silent recently... I've been quite busy and my internet at home is not working and I have less time to connect to BF...

Anyway, don't worry I'm still following the badminton world closely, and preparing my new season as a player too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting topic to be discuss on.. I think there is no specific way or method on how the crowd should cheer; whether it should be loud or quiet because each country/culture is different in cheering. Instead, it is the player's mentality; the way they think...will decide if the crowd helps them to perform better or worst...... because the presence of others could enhance or hinder the individual performances... this could be explain by :

- Social Facilitation - The enhancement of dominant responces due to the presence of others. The mere-presence of crowd will help to enhance the player's performance. Take Tony and Howard for example, Tony mentioned that he was very tired during the rubber game with Chandra and Sigit but the crowd's cheering and support help him to persevere.... this can be a very good example of social facilitation .

- Distraction-Conflict theory - When one is working on a task, the presence of others is distracting and this distraction produces a conflict between paying attention to the game and paying attention to the game. This is very common situation when players lose focus especially when the crowd booing and making noise. When the player is distracted, they cannot pay attention o their game and this hinder their performance on court. We can observe this kind of situation in team events such as Thomas and Uber Cup.

I would say that it really depends on how smart the player use the crowd for their advantage. We often heard that people play better at home because of home ground advantage... it could be right if the players are in-form.... what if they are not in-form, the distraction comes in with the worry of being judged (evaluation apprehention) by others and pressure to win in front of the home ground hinder their performance. The Thomas Cup 2000 in Malaysia is a good example of this situation where Malaysia team failed to do well even though the stadium was full of people.

Even when we play socially, the mere presence of others do effect how we play... guys play harder and even dive to take a shot when some cool girls is watching them play. Some might be too shy and get nervous when they realize some cool girls is watching them play, hence, hit all outside..... so it also depends on individual personalities as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Bobby you're a big man, make a big noise

I say cheer loud, all the time. It pumps you up, brings you down etc etc. I don't know any action sport that the crowd is told to be quiet with the exception of tennis and golf.

I don't think badminton is anything like golf (tennis, mm ok maybe similar but not the same). I think crowd involvement enhances most sports.

In golf and tennis the crowd needs to stay quiet because they need to concentrait on a difficult task, they train in mostly quiet environments no? Movements distract them. But other than people walking close to the court I don't think it distracts a badminton player?

The only thing is maybe if you play doubles and you need to hear your partner yell "OUT!" or "MINE!" (in whatever language). But even then your crowd needs to be pretty loud to drown that out. I say shout out all the time. Make it fun to watch and play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Have you guys seen it when one players smashes and the crowd shouts out together just as the player smashes? And if it's a winning smash they go wild?

I just love that
    me too!! its like everyone is one big family for that moment!!

btw, i voted the first one!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

badminton isn't goft or tennis ..it is more like basketball or volleyball.
    cheering for ur favorite or home player during the game , and making the game more enjoyable and hv fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that cheering crowds is one of the features that make badminton unique-in a vast majority of sports people are expected to remain silent, take tennis for example. an excited badminton crowd creates an atmosphere like no other.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny how most votes went to 2 and most comments are for 1. I'm telling you if you've seen videos of INA open you will definitely choose 1
    I know a lot of players would like some more enthousiasm so def. not 3 (like it is over here), that even looks boring on tv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harrycoomer
    If he continued he would have been expelled from the game.
    I hate it when the player about to go up for a smash the crowd goes: "OOooooohhhhhhh UE!!" I HATE IT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan-Fan
    I hate it when the player about to go up for a smash the crowd goes: "OOooooohhhhhhh UE!!" I HATE IT.
    Well, I actually quite like it, but when it's too much, it's quite annoying! (when there's about 100 ( hehe) smashes in the rally!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the club that I play at you might get a scattered applause, as for tornaments I agree that loud cheering in between rallys is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i voted for "loudly! make lots of noises between and during rallies".
    I think the crowd should be aloud to cheer as loud as they want as long as it doesn't get out of hand. This is what makes the game so enjoyable, both for players and spectators!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definately lound, i love when my friends scream like crazy during matches it fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheer between rallies, clap yell players names etc. Clap for both sides as well. When a good shot is hit, usually the is a automatic "ooooohhhh" from the crowd in awe of apreciation of the shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to say that i like quite (not silence) during rallies and especially just before serve because i like to think about many things while i'm getting ready to serve or recieve serve but as soon as the rally has ended i'd love to hear the place erupt normally i erupt on court aswell

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast