User Tag List

View Poll Results: how should a badminton crowd cheer?

Voters
914. You may not vote on this poll
  • loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

278 30.42%
  • loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

490 53.61%
  • quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

117 12.80%
  • dead silence all the time.

29 3.17%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan-Fan
    I hate it when the player about to go up for a smash the crowd goes: "OOooooohhhhhhh UE!!" I HATE IT.

Oh i love that...It just adds to the tournament atomsphere. I think people should be able to cheer whenever, beacuse i think (at least for me) its more daunting when its dead silent, knowing everyone is watching you, than loud cheering and support. Cheering makes it funner (also pumps them up) for players, at least for some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its better to be quiet when the game is on. Its kinda distracting when you are playing and yet you can't really hear your shots. After the point, you can be as noisy as you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kenneth was interviewed after winning a match in Thomas Cup..

He said that he loves playing around Asian countries when the crowd goes emotionally with your game

While somewhere else the audience could be reading a book or ordering snacks
    Last edited by hara^kazuko; 06-26-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd say loud noise is fine as long as nothing offensive is yelled to the players, about the players. still, i think the sound of the bird can also effect the rally because some players may use the sound to predict wut shot is coming at them in the next millisecond. so my vote is for noise in between rallies.

who knows, there may also be times when too much noise from one side of the arena can act as killer air conditioning pushing a well-done clear bkac towards the net as a drop .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do believe that a silent audience will do because they are distracting the player although it improve self confidence audience need to have right manners in watching

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton is not a game of chess. The earliest, purest form of game was the gladiators, fighting each other or with wild animals, to the death. What do you think the crowd was then? Today's Thomas Cup badminton matches, especially when they are played in Indonesia or Malaysia, have the same Roman spectators voicing their most basic instincts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan-Fan
    I hate it when the player about to go up for a smash the crowd goes: "OOooooohhhhhhh UE!!" I HATE IT.
    I love that. Some of the most fun I've ever had watching badminton was during the men's doubles at the Sydney Olympics when there was a huge Indonesian contingent cheering that way for every smash by Tony or Chandra. I lived alone then so I could cheer for Indonesia without fear of reprisal. Last year, there was just a small group of Indonesians at the finals in Incheon watching the nail-biter between Jens/Martin and Candra/Sigit but the volume was amazing. Korean fans can get pretty worked up, too, but they don't preface the smashes in the same way. I love the dynamic between crowd and defender in those situations because the defender is at turns warned of impending doom and deceived when the drop shot comes instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really lvoe the atmosphere when everybody's shouting like that. Was greta to do at the EC (we had a small group, very fun)

the players hardly notice it though, 100% focus..and you'll always see the pro's thanking the croud, no matter what noise they make..What would a pro think if there're 2.000 people in a stadium, and everybody's just claps a little..like they're watching gras grow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess making loud noise makes the game more entertaining.. i guess that noise shouldn't affect too much a players' performance because during the match, he is psychologically too much into thinking about points and the match and the title and the pride that noise wouldn't bother him much.

also, on and off noise would be more disturbing than a continuous sound... purely my opinion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Badminton is not a game of chess. The earliest, purest form of game was the gladiators, fighting each other or with wild animals, to the death. What do you think the crowd was then? Today's Thomas Cup badminton matches, especially when they are played in Indonesia or Malaysia, have the same Roman spectators voicing their most basic instincts.
    don't mind but this comparision is too neanderthal... i wont say that we want a game like one should be routed... certainly everyone wants to have a well balanced, exciting game in which his side should win...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what makes badminton unique from other racquet sports... the crowd is no less excited than the world cup's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hara^kazuko
    That's what makes badminton unique from other racquet sports... the crowd is no less excited than the world cup's
    in that way, wimbledon SUCKS!!!! on one hand, the rules and regulations of this tourney makes it more charming and on the other hand, it sucks big time... i won't be surprise when McEnroe was pissed after winning wimbledon and when Agassi refused to play wimbledon after denied to wear colored shirts and headband... so funny it wud hv been... atleast it's getting better in wimbledon these days...

other games like one-day Cricket (if u know), Baseball and mother of all sports , Soccer make u feel go all crazy, frenzied, excited and what not... (short on finding words to describe the feelings... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i suppose a little cheering will not do any harm.It does help to boost players' confidence.But too much does affect the players 'concentration.They tend to feel more pressure and then loose focus.hmmm..but i think i will go for the second choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the cheering between rallies but as a junior player I get parents and friends cheering for their player. This is fine but it really just ticks me off when they cheer every single time I make an unforced error. When they do this, I just think, either "shut up" lol or "do you know the game?" I know it's a little harsh but it is quite annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, it's only natural, i'm sure you'll get used to it and find that it won't bother you after a while.
    one question though : where are your friends and family who should be cheering for you when your opponents make mistakes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i only play at club level - so im confined to sports halls and churches for the most part. I find it really off putting when you are playing in a 1 court hall, and absolutely everyone is dead silent whilst you're trying to serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love when its really loud and noisy!!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast