User Tag List

View Poll Results: how should a badminton crowd cheer?

Voters
914. You may not vote on this poll
  • loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

278 30.42%
  • loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

490 53.61%
  • quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

117 12.80%
  • dead silence all the time.

29 3.17%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheer will distract the player
    so-just dead and silence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a sport competition with dead silent fans are, how you say it, DEAD! there's the cheers that distract the players and then there is the cheers that motivates the players. and all this will play a part in their mental strength. imagine all sport competitions with silent spectators. what is the use of being there in the first place? the beauty of it is the emotional investment in the watching of a good match. and when you are emotional, you have to scream, and shout, and groan, and whatever noise is appropriate at the moment but no noise at all will be a bore.
    Last edited by azabaz_ipoh; 06-11-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love silent matches. They're hard to find, and it's easier to lose yourself in the match, just you (and maybe your partner) and your opponent(s) and the game. It's much more enjoyable, because it's just so incredibly serene and enjoyable without interruptions or anything like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
    Professionals are professionals and they really should already know how to play in a noisy environment afterall its a sport and ultimately the fans are the ones paying and supporting the sport for any sport to be commercilly successful. Realistically and ideally the fans really have every right to cheer in ways they feel like as long as its not interrupting the play. In most professional sports in US, fans can "almost" say anything and cheer any time they want. Many times fans will talk directly to opponents and putting them down verbally. But guess what, the game goes on and the players keeps going. Whether thats right or wrong, it's now part of almost all professional games.

I believe we all want badminton to be a major sport one day and we all want to be treated as equals when compared to basketball, baseball, football and hockey. So there may be a time when we have to sit down and decide if we are any more "special" than other sport where a fan must remain virtually silent for a special periods of time.
    I strongly agree with your opinion I think professionals are already an expert at adjusting themselves in a noisy environment. Actually concentrating ability is one of the most important skills that professionals should acquire. In addition, environment where fans can express their excitement is a crucial part of sports to become a major sports and develop commercially

Also, when competitive rally is going on, the audience tend to keep silent automatically to focus themselves on the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud between rallies only. As a spectator I want to hear the action as well as watch it. That is experience the match as completely as possible. Heck, if they're going to allow noise during the rally at events then they should at least serve alcohol and make it really entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markhamplayer View Post
    As loud as possible when I'm winning!
    Keep very quiet when I'm losing!

Opposite for me. I want it quiet when I'm winning so I don't lose my focus and as loud as possible when I'm losing so nobody can hear me swearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me i wont mind anything but if it is loud during rallies like ina open, But if the crowd are supporting me it would be better for me yes although there's pressure during the game but it would be a very fun game to play
    & it would be good if i win the match double bonus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cause i've been in this situation before half of the crowd supporting me while the other half supporting my opponent, Like team event tournament is actually quite fun to play but of cos u must be in good form haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Loud between rallies only. As a spectator I want to hear the action as well as watch it. That is experience the match as completely as possible. Heck, if they're going to allow noise during the rally at events then they should at least serve alcohol and make it really entertaining.
    Bottles might be thrown at the opposing players! This migjht incite a fight between opposing supporters! Others caught in between may want to escape. The herd instinct could cause a stampede, all hell may break loose and casualties could result. Examples can be found in soccer!

No there is a limit and the organizers must take the necessary precautions to prevent such incidents.

By and large, spectators are quite okay, even the boisterous ones. Most also want to enjoy a good rally between the players and they tend to be quieter during those moments. The unruly ones may get unfriendly stares from others!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Loh;744778]Bottles might be thrown at the opposing players! This migjht incite a fight between opposing supporters! Others caught in between may want to escape. The herd instinct could cause a stampede, all hell may break loose and casualties could result. Examples can be found in soccer!

No there is a limit and the organizers must take the necessary precautions to prevent such incidents.

Actually the Alcohol thing was a joke but, they could do what stadiums in the US do and serve it it plastic cups.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xXHilikusXx View Post
    loud ftw, just dnt shout my name, i hate it when ppl shout my name its very distracting
    If xXHilikusXx is what they need to shout, I don't think you need to be worried about being distracted
    I can't even pronounce it, much less shout it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    If xXHilikusXx is what they need to shout, I don't think you need to be worried about being distracted
    Yah, very, very difficult to pronounce ... zzzzz zzzz????

Actually he should feel proud cause the audience may think someone new is playing on court!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Yah, very, very difficult to pronounce ... zzzzz zzzz????

Actually he should feel proud cause the audience may think someone new is playing on court!
    Try saying it... and you'll end up hissing
    It would sound as if a dozen snakes had been let loose among the audience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this post is sort of a combination reply to crowd noise in between action and another thread talking about the breaks in the flow of the game due to line call verifications.

In hockey when there is a break in the action an organ player starts playing music to 'rev up' the fans. (In more modern arenas they just play recorded music). I know it sounds dumb but you have to remember if the goal is to sell this game in N. America you are dealing with millisecond attention spans. So it's either music or scantily clad cheerleaders. Personally I'd go with the cheerleaders. I can always bring my Ipod!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Ok this post is sort of a combination reply to crowd noise in between action and another thread talking about the breaks in the flow of the game due to line call verifications.

In hockey when there is a break in the action an organ player starts playing music to 'rev up' the fans. (In more modern arenas they just play recorded music). I know it sounds dumb but you have to remember if the goal is to sell this game in N. America you are dealing with millisecond attention spans. So it's either music or scantily clad cheerleaders. Personally I'd go with the cheerleaders. I can always bring my Ipod!
    I don't think you need cheerleaders, scantily clad or not, when certain Japanese and Korean women players are around...
    They are distracting enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its nice to have support wen ur playing!wen u know people r cheering 4 u!and also knowing they r enjoying the match......the only intolerable thing is the damn out call from a spectator!but since wen did a badminton player ever trust another persons judgement?even if my doubles partner shout out....i wudnt blindly leave it....i wud use my own judgement.....(cuz hes usually wrong) but still.

and as a player in generally loud aswell......shout yes, or cumon after u win a rally. or encourage myself and partner when wer behind....wen the crowd see ur into it....they get more into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kkk doesnt need that.
    we cheered for him,he'll make the blurred face.

he may appreciated that support off-court.
    well.. he did smile to the fans.after the game.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast