Broken handle on MP99

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by Russki Bear, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    G'day. I have a problem. On a comp night recently I pulled my MP99 out and went to start hitting. I thought I was being lazy and slicing but when I checked my grip and action on the next few shots it wasn't me. The handle was broke and the racquet was wobbling and twisting. I beleive it also got worse on the last few which is perhaps why I didn't notice it immeadiately.

I don't remember anything occuring that would have broken the handle, so my question would be can regular play break a handle that has been fine for several months?

Thanks!

2. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...hmm...not too sure what the problem is here...but was it possible that you damaged the handle somehow recently or over-stressed it? and also...could it also be a possible sign that you're gripping too hard or too low? or maybe something's wrong with your backhand and your thumb is putting too much stress on the handle...maybe it was defective to begin with if you have other older racquets with no problems like this...again, these are just guesses...no definite answers...good luck on getting it replaced...:)

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It sounds really suspicous and more like a defect. I've never heard of a handle breaking and this being the first.

4. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    do you mean like the racquet spins when you hit? something like the cone break or do you literally mean the handle (gripping area) itself?

if it was the handle itself, then wow i would believe it is a defect

5. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    if it is a new bring it back to the shop ,if it is not :find a broken racket and get a new handle to your racket,

MING

6. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Broken handle usually happen on fake racquet, check on your racquet authenticity

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    There's a player at the club I'm at who has a real Yonex MP100, he's been using it for years and it eventually 'broke' at the handle too. You can remove the handle from the racket shaft like pulling a sword out of a sheath. Maybe just wear and tear, or maybe it was just a defect that took really really long to come out, or maybe the glue/wood inside got damaged due to heat... who knows. The guy who owns the MP100 doesn't know how it happened either.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

10. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Yeah, the cone was shattered. I unwound the grip a bit and it popped up and wood sort of just fell out from under the cone. It was odd, it was as if the handle was a two piece and the cone broke from the rest of the handle fairly cleanly. Any thoughts there? I also don't remember seeing a screw point in the shaft or handle.
    Thanks for that thread Kwun.

It normally resides in a bag and is the only racquet in there, but it also has other things like spare socks, shirts, towels etc to fill it out in the second compartment and I cannot remember doing anything that would cause it to break. I'm not into breaking $190AU items here ;)
    My only theory other than either I didn't notice something that happened or a defect, is that it perhaps sat in an airconditioned shop since 1999 (which is the date code and it was confirmed as legit by that nice fellow that checks and it otherwise appears genuine) and that may have perhaps dried the wood a bit?

If Yonex don't refund or replace the racquet then I was given a handle by a fellow player, and I am sure I have some clamps lying around. It is a thinner grip though. There was talk of Araldite but if there is a screw involved I shall have to ensure I can affix the screw properly. I know I would have trouble trusting it unless I knew I did it right.

Thanks for the advice guys.