User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    KL & Sg
    Posts
    5,315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Russian Open 2005

    If you think the participation for the China Masters is sad, it's much worse for the Russian Open. Only Russians in the draw plus a few Ghana players in the MS and MD.

    The question is, will the Ghanaians turn up?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think they won't turn up in fact!

    It is quite common in european competitions to see totally unknown african entries, who eventually never turn up!
    (I think it is a way of getting a visa in order to emigrate to Europe illegally...)

    But you never know, I may be wrong...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Anyway, the entries are quite catastrophic!
    Not even a single player of any neighbour country!! (Ukraine, Poland etc...)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool Russian Open

    Hi Seven,
    May I know the exact reason for the poor participation? Bcos of prize money? Or 3 stars events only? or others? Thanks.
    lee
    Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Anyway, the entries are quite catastrophic!
    Not even a single player of any neighbour country!! (Ukraine, Poland etc...)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdiegut
    Hi Seven,
    May I know the exact reason for the poor participation? Bcos of prize money? Or 3 stars events only? or others? Thanks.
    lee
    Well, I'm afraid I don't have any explanation...
    The only thing I can see is the date problem and lack of "history" of this Open ...(same as China Masters).

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Russian Open

    Hi Seven,
    Thanks. What a pity. I remembered the last time I read on the net there was a russian player who was very good in badminton but unfortunately he faded after some time. Forgot his name, but I am very sure there was a guy then.
    Maybe badminton is not so popular in Russia? I was hoping that badminton could be something like tennis ATP, emphasis is on the players. Big prize money will attract the best in the world. I think this will further boost the game.
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Well, I'm afraid I don't have any explanation...
    The only thing I can see is the date problem and lack of "history" of this Open ...(same as China Masters).

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdiegut
    Hi Seven,
    Thanks. What a pity. I remembered the last time I read on the net there was a russian player who was very good in badminton but unfortunately he faded after some time. Forgot his name, but I am very sure there was a guy then.
    Maybe badminton is not so popular in Russia? I was hoping that badminton could be something like tennis ATP, emphasis is on the players. Big prize money will attract the best in the world. I think this will further boost the game.
    Lee
    that is why it's so important to popularize badminton in the US so that this sport can penetrate into countries like middle east, russia, africa, south america, etc. Other american icons have

    http://music.monstersandcritics.com/...ng_three_songs

    - michael jackson just got paid 'x' million$ to sing a happy birthday song to a rich kid in saudi (sorry, no link. It's kinda funny since i would guess michael 'will do anything' for little boys at no charge )

    - madonna just got paid 'x' million$ for a day work on a commercial
    http://www.bmwworld.com/weeklypics/20010326.htm
    Last edited by cooler; 09-14-2005 at 11:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Russian Open

    Hi Cooler,
    U r rite. Should popularise badminton in USA and other parts of the world. Good to see USA Tony n Bach got the WC 2005 double champion medals man. I remember formerly USA used to be very good in this game. So, they should promote and revive the old glory. Furthermore, this sport can be played irrespectively of rain or shine.
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    that is why it's so important to popularize badminton in the US so that this sport can penetrate into countries like middle east, russia, africa, south america, etc. Other american icons have

    http://music.monstersandcritics.com/...ng_three_songs

    - michael jackson just got paid 'x' million$ to sing a happy birthday song to a rich kid in saudi (sorry, no link. It's kinda funny since i would guess michael 'will do anything' for little boys at no charge )

    - madonna just got paid 'x' million$ for a day work on a commercial
    http://www.bmwworld.com/weeklypics/20010326.htm

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdiegut
    Hi Seven,
    Thanks. What a pity. I remembered the last time I read on the net there was a russian player who was very good in badminton but unfortunately he faded after some time. Forgot his name, but I am very sure there was a guy then.
    Maybe badminton is not so popular in Russia? I was hoping that badminton could be something like tennis ATP, emphasis is on the players. Big prize money will attract the best in the world. I think this will further boost the game.
    Lee
    Well, Russia regularly produces world quality players.
    Maybe the player you are talking about is Antropov, who was european champion sometime around 1990 I think.

    They also have some of the best european juniors with Nina Vislova for example.

    Unfortunately, a few of their very good player (Zuev, Yakusheva ...) seem to have retired now, this is why their team was rather weak in Sudirman Cup Group 2 this year...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default A

    Antropov was never a European champion, to my knowledge - I don't think he even got a medal - but he was the highest-ranking Russian player in the world...

    Badminton is still too expensive for Russia: birdies, gym time and, especially, international travel.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I must have got mistaken somehow... he was "only" bronze medallist at the 1988 euro champs (behind Daren Hall and Morten Frost).
    However he was also silver medallist in MD at the 1994 euro champs (with Zuev).

    Having a look at the past results, I also saw Marina Yakusheva was silver medallist in 1996 in .... women's singles!! (losing to Camilla Martin in the final)

    You can find all the results on : http://www.eurobadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=277

    Team results can be found here : http://www.eurobadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=281

    Note the team ranking for USSR (up to 1990) then Russia from 1980 onwards :
    1980 5th
    1982 5th
    1984 5th
    1986 5th
    1988 4th
    1990 4th
    1992 4th
    1994 4th
    1996 4th

    Since then it has been less good however :
    1998 7th
    2000 7th
    2002 7th
    2004 6th

    But this is not so bad for a supposedly "minor" badminton nation.

Similar Threads

  1. Russian Open 2008
    By seawell in forum 2008 Tournaments
    Replies: 38
    : 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
  2. Russian Open 2007: Day 4 (08 Dec)
    By badMania in forum Russian Open 2007
    Replies: 112
    : 12-08-2007, 12:04 PM
  3. Russian Open 2007
    By CLELY in forum Russian Open 2007
    Replies: 114
    : 12-08-2007, 03:46 AM
  4. Russian open 2007: Day 3 (07 Dec)
    By huangkwokhau in forum Russian Open 2007
    Replies: 107
    : 12-07-2007, 08:55 PM
  5. Russian Open 2007 TV
    By demolidor in forum Russian Open 2007
    Replies: 0
    : 12-06-2007, 06:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •