Taufik Shows the wei, NST article

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Ningtyas, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

[b]BADMINTON:[/b] Taufik shows the Wei
    K.M. Boopathy

Aug 25: HE doesn’t have it now but what Lee Chong Wei would like to have is the character to become a world champion, hopefully by 2007. And there was no better person than newly-crowned World champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia to show the path in Anaheim over the weekend.

Taufik’s single-mindedness and the desire to win enabled him to become the first shuttler to win the men’s singles gold in the Olympics and the World title.

Chong Wei was beaten by the Indonesian in the semi-final in Anaheim and the former knew then why Taufik is a special player.

"I may have lost to him but Taufik had taught me a valuable lesson. One needs to be single-minded and must have the desire to win major events like the Olympics and the World Champions," said Chong Wei upon his arrival from Anaheim at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) yesterday.

"He was so focused and performed like a champion. I may have won the Malaysia Open but it meant nothing as I can’t perform in major events.

"I must be strong mentally and need the character to perform on big stage.

"Reaching the semi-final is a small step but I need to work harder and become a consistent performer on the international arena.

"I have targeted the 2007 World Championship crown but first, I need to have the character of a champion, like Taufik."

Although Chong Wei defeated Taufik, 24, easily en route to his second Malaysia Open title two months ago, the Indonesian showed his pedigree when it mattered.

And the success was not achieved overnight. Taufik announced at the 1997 Malaysia Open that his ultimate goals were the Olympic gold and the World Championship crown.

On the other hand, Chong Wei only targeted a semi-final spot in Anaheim, and that was as far as he got.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/Sport/20050825080442/Article/indexb_html

==========

I believe Lee Chong Wei will be there too. :) He learns from Taufik

2. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    very humble of him LCW to credit TH for his success. he's a true champion in the making!

3. rachelchan

rachelchan Regular Member

Yup..I think it's very important to learn others strength to overcome your own shortcomings. One must not be complacent and keep on going .......

Taufik definately a talented player and same goes to LCW ! Am sure LCW can achieve what Taufik has achieved so far ( Olympic & WC Champion ), if he keeps up his good work & work closely with his coach..:) :)

4. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Why wait for 2007?LCW should aim to be the World Champion in 2006 and to be the Olympic champ in 2008.Be aggressive in your desire too.

5. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Looks like the BAD BOY of badminton is actually becoming a role model,[even] for the other international players.he continues like this and he will be a Legend ..no wait he is aldready a Legend.

6. indo_gal

indo_gal Regular Member

student duh~
    hmm... i think every player should be like him... instead of finding excuses when they lost....

7. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

if you guys notice...there r quite a few world class player having good comment about taufik...
    some fan dislike taufik a lot but me myself is a true taufik fan...
    he is cool in his game...

8. kemana

kemana Regular Member

hah , i am his fan too.

9. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

YES !!! LCW, you got the point !!! What you lack is the character to be world champion. Learn from Taufik, being a bad boy on the court helps to strengthen your mental fitness, especially playing in hostile environments (crowd boooh against you). You can be world no.1, go for it !!!

10. terror

terror Regular Member

taufik hidayat and lee chong wei. both not world no1 or 2. but both are curently my favourite and second favourite players respectively now. nice playing styles

11. ms142

ms142 Regular Member

I watched the WC through Sopcast and PPlive and I remember the legendary Zhao Jianhua, who acted as the commentator on the chinese channels, spoke highly of LCW. For example, he commented more than twice how efficient LCW's footwork was.

And speaking of mental strength, I bet he learned from Lin Dan too - LD's final is a perfect example of the lack of mental strength. :)

12. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

at 2005 WC in Anaheim LCW only signed autographs after his final game against Taufik. Most players sign after every game, anyone know if thats a Malaysian thing or what?