LEG EXERCISES FOR BADMINTON

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Luka, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Luka

Luka Guest

Hi, all!

Could you please tell me which are good exercises for legs for a badminton player? At home I have a weightlifting bar and lots of weights? I do only squats at high speed and low weight (weightlifting bar (24lbs) and 2x2lbs of weights on each side). I don't have any leg-machines at home, so please write me some good exercises for the legs with and without weights. I would like to bring more speed and explosivness in my legs.

2. Phil

Phil Guest

http://boingeye.com/hedge/plyo.html

This has many good leg exercises in it. I use a customized version of it.

Phil

3. Iwan

Iwan Guest

Go learn all the high kicks in taekwondo and i will assure you that you'll feel your legs really light on court :) once you can do the high kicks properly and fast that is ;p

4. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Take a look here:

http://www.worldbadminton.com/drills/instructional_multimedia_lowres.htm

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Weight lifting won't do much for speed and explosiveness (unless you do it in a very explosive manner).

Do regular shuttle runs on court, it's dead boring but it will really bring up your leg speed. Do them side to side, front to back, and diagonally. Do at least 3 rounds of 5 shuttles. Rest for about 60 secs in between each round. It will also allow you to work on your footwork at the same time.

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

That is the Best thing to do! Once u finish ur Shuttle Picking then what u shoudl do is something called CHAIR EXCERSISE! Have to sit leaning on wall likehow u woudl sit in a Chair with ur hands in level with ur chin!

7. Valentino

Valentino Guest

its hard to describe exercises for me cuz i dont know english that good, but what i learned is take a bar and put it behind ur neck ( it should be heavy enough) and try to jump as high as u can, u do have to start crouching and land this way also.

another way is to use the bar, but dont start jumping from a crouched position. just jump as high as u can and let your kness touch your chest. this will increase ur jumping power/ leg muscles.
    hope i helped u with this

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Try this exercise:

Get a friend to stand in the front of the court facing you.
    You stand in the middle of the court in the ready position feet apart
    Step up and down with each foot landing on same spot on court alternately. Must be as rapid as possible.
    Then, after one to five seconds, you friend points to one of the front corners and you have to reach that corner as quickly as possible.
    Use two steps to reach the net. Don't cheat by standing near the service line.

Later as you get used to the exercise, your friend can just point to the back two corners.

as you get better, your friend can randomly point to all four corners.

I'm guessing that since you've been on the weights, the strength is there. Now you have to train speed which is needs a different method.

9. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Plyometrics

I haven't read the other replies so I don't know if its already been mentioned. The best exercises for developing explosive power (redundant phrase since 'power' denotes explosive strength) is plyometrics. If you do a SEARCH on this message board for the last 3 to 6 months you will find quite a bit on plyometrics.

Some weight training can be done in a plyometric (or explosive) fashion if done properly. You wouldn't want to lock out your knees (legs straight) and/or expose your knees & ankles to high impacts when using weights.

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Wear the lead vest.

Or you can do the extreme court exercise. DO all your footwork drills wearing a 50 pound lead filled vest.

Another easy one is do hill running. For those of you in the Vancouver area, the Grouse Grind is (was?) a good leg burner exercise. Not sure if they closed it off, I haven't been on it for a few years now.

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    CAUTION

That is way too heavy!

If you wear a lead vest for on-court drills, never let the weight exceed 7-10 % of your body mass, or you will cause long-term damage to your joints.

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: CAUTION

Yep. I've seen the result of overloading the vest. Blown knees. But there are still some who think that is the best way to results for legs (I'm not one of them).

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    to make thing more interesting, buy or get some weights (~ 3 lbs each) tied to your ankle for the work out. After that, with the weight off, u feel u can fly.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have enough problems without the weights :)