Why Does My Form Go Up & Down?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Darma Sucipto, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hi there...i just have something that i dont understand about myself. When im playing badminton, sometimes i am in top form, and sometimes also i have no form. When I am in top form, i felt that my game was very good like all my shots are very accurate, smashes are very strong and my movement is really fast. And if i have no form, my game goes opposite like my movement is really really slow and all my shots are out or goes to the wrong place...i just wanna ask why and how does this thing happens?? haha:) thanks for your reply!

2. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Two factors - 1. Mental, 2. Physical

1. Mental (Pyschological)
    You are too tense, or too tired (may be you had a long day at work), not relaxed and calm, not concentrating, your brain is not thinking quick enough, you're scared of your opponents, or you knew your opponents are a better side, so you play with pressure, or you knew you're the stronger side, so you have pressure not to lose.... etc.. etc...

2. Physical
    You're not warmed up, physically tired, hitting the shuttle with wrong timing, rushing shots, etc.... etc...

But it's more the mental part that affects the physical performance. Many top seeded pro players lost to lower seeded players in tournaments because of psychological factor.

3. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    It's gonna be hard to answer that without knowing you as a player. It is something you might have to discover for yourself. However, in my experience there are a few reasons why it might happen to me.

I may be tired (physically and mentally - mentally is worse and fitness affects both, my fitness does leave a fair bit to be desired so I have little ways of keeping me on the ball that sometimes help).
    I may be distracted or thinking too much about my shots rather than playing them. See above.
    I may be intimidated by a player that doesn't play to my comfort zone (ie: someone I have trouble reading the play of) which makes me unsettled and so I make silly mistakes or if it is a movement comfort zone, makes my movement seem quite clumsy and slow.
    This recently occured in a singles match I played on my conventional deep serves - he was using my relative lack of agility to keep making shots that were difficult for me to retreive. So I mixed my serve up with short serves, fast serves, slow serves, high serves, the lot. And it worked for me. Before then I was not moving well enough to beat his return and score points, so I needed another solution. He should have done the same as I was returning well too, but he didn't.
    I may simply be having a bad match, it happens to everybody.

Other than that, I don't know how it can be answered by someone that doesn't know you. If you ask someone you trust at your club and take their answer seriously and then work to change it, you might find they were right.

4. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps it's because of self-confidence?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    check this out :D

http://www.sitefoundry.com/biorhythms/

6. tinkerbella122

Student
    wow ... that's very interesting! ( the results are just a mere guess right? is there some truth in the results? :confused: )

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    some truth but users should do their own verification, go read them up on internet and u can decide :p

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    that link is B.S. there is no scientific evidence that this tool is accurate. its already obvious that it is a fraud because all that is required is your birthday which is not enough scientific data to determine your peak performance.

9. tinkerbella122

Student
    the fact that it requires only a birthday does seems a little bit peculiar ...

10. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    HI there, I've develop a new badminton style which is "Tai Chi badminton", which most of the time your form will almost 100% even if you don't enough rest, sleep, eat, or anything. The only thing that i can tell you why you sometimes off form is because you don't understand how your body work, if you understand every each of your body I'm sure your performance will boost 1000%.

11. saifii

saifii Regular Member

not being rude or offensive, please do keep QUITE about ur tai chi S**t

12. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Are you comparing your form against the same opponent? Playing a weak opponent allows you to control the game. If you play a hard opponent, you'd feel as if none of your shots are effective.

13. thlim78

thlim78 Regular Member

I m having this problem for long

Hi,

I am too having this performance problem due to my mentality (mainly tiredness due to too much badminton) and mood.

Just wonder how the professional players can overcome their mentality and mood problem, and yet play consistently.

Hope you guys can share with me your advices ..

Thanks !

14. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    give it a break. i had the same thing. it took an injury to make me stop. after i started again, badminton become a leisure again, something to enjoy, rather than a 8 times training a week thing.

even pros get fatigued. see how Lin Dan has given himself a nice long holiday? he'll prob come back a bit rusty in terms of shots and touch, but super in mental toughness to tactical ability.

it's a hard thing to balance. too much training can cause you to lose your mental focus, too little means your technical skills decrease. timing it to peak just when you want is hard.

finally, think about this, does the ocean always stay at high tide?