End of 2005...badminton anyone?

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by cookiss, Aug 30, 2005.

1. cookiss

cookiss Regular Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm going to be in HK from 12/18/2005 to the 1st of next year. I'd like to play badminton during that time.....I know there should be tonnes of courts in Hong Kong, but I don't know anyone in HK to play with. Anyone interested? and could anyone tell me the places where I can drop in to play anytime?

and recently I broke my lovely Ti-7 :crying:
    Are there places in HK where I can buy that for a better deal?

Do courts in HK require indoor shoes?
    I'd want to avoid bringing too much luggage if possible ^^

Thanks in advance ! ^^

2. dranmo

dranmo Regular Member

Sales
    There are some badminton club that you can go but usually you have to sign up first. MongKok got a few store that cut you a good deal. Also there are some upstair store that are even cheaper.

Please wear indoor shoes (basketball, tennis or badminton shoes) but seriouly not too many people care.

Hope to information helps you

3. Gale Yeung

Gale Yeung Regular Member

Badminton Clubs...

Hmm...the club I go to to play badminton in Hong Kong is the South China Athletic Association.

Courts are about $50 per hour...

But you can easily go online and book courts at the public facilities in Hong Kong at cheaper prices...at umm...
    www.esd.gov.hk
    On line booking...I think.
    Right now...I'm in Beijing, but I'll be back in December- maybe we can play then? This is so weird...I never play with people I've never met. :)

4. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    50 dollars of Hong Kong money or ... ?

5. Gale Yeung

Gale Yeung Regular Member

Yup.

Yup. $50 HK dollars- but you have to be a member of the South China Athletic Association to book. That's an extra $50 for the application fee.

To get to the SCAA- you take the MTR to Causeway Bay, and go out of Exit F, and walk up the hill to the Hong Kong Stadium...and before you get there,you will find the SCAA. The people there can help you with application procedures and booking courts.

Hope this was of some help!
    :)

6. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Oh okay... thanks for explaining :) .

7. bluelabel

bluelabel New Member

Where To play?

Just curious would anyone know if there are places in Hong Kong, that holds weekly badminton session, like once or twice a week. And you don't need to book courts, and play against different player. More like a club. And play like an annual fee? Since finding people to play is hard enough, but find places to book and have right time slot is another. btw, anyone know where is a good place to play on the weekend as well!

Thanks inadvace!

8. kogepan

kogepan Regular Member

ya i wanan know too..a club form of badminton instead of bookin a court for myself! coz i duno anyone here in hk..but i wanan join a club to play!

thanks!

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In Hong Kong there is no such thing as a 'walk-in' badminton court. You either book a court or you join a club. In a club you can sometimes bring a guest, but there are rules that may restrict such guest to once or twice a month. But rules are difficult to enforce and sometimes the same guests appear regularly, until some members start complaining, and that will put an end to it.

10. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    Well...actually I am playing in two clubs that welcome guest at any time and frequency. Both clubs charge $50 for a 3-hour session including shuttles and courts. Of course, not 3 hours straight cos they usually play sets. Most of the better players (at least BC memebrs;) ) in HK will play in clubs one way or another. The only thing is that these clubs are seldom for beginners and mostly chinese-speaking (if ya all don't mind :D), therefore...

Let me know if interested cos will be nice to meet more friends as well as players :)

11. kogepan

kogepan Regular Member

it'll be great to be able to join some sort of club in hk. but see when u say "seldom for beginners" im a lil worry..i havent been playin for 3-4 months, i dun exactly consider myself a beginner but! since im in hk...maybe standard here r way higher than in Canada. if u know any club that's 'just for fun type' maybe i should check those out be4 going to clubs that i know they have awesome players at. then ill kinda see where my skill stands

12. bluelabel

bluelabel New Member

Is is okay, can give the name of the club and the location of the club or even a phone if possible. Just curious is it mostly on the weekend that the session are held. I am okay for badminton, of course can't complete in very competitive but like to play with people around my level have a good time

Cheers,

13. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    I would need to bring you there myself cos not open to anyone. If you can play sets but not at beginner's level, I guess should be fine. May send me a private message if interested!!;)

14. cookiss

cookiss Regular Member

cool idea

Hey Gale, thanks for your reply, and many others that followed....
    it'd be cool to play together...but i'm not very very good like most of you BC members are ><
    Let me know...If you don't mind me being like an intermediate player...and if you know more people so we can play some sets, then it'll be cool to get together and play in december! ^^

15. cookiss

cookiss Regular Member

great info

thanks for offering to bring us ^^ but ya...i'm worried about the same thing..i'm not a beginner, but i'm not super advanced either. I'll be in hk in december...u think anyone here would like to play?

16. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    If you can play a decent set (don't have to be super advance:p)...I guess no one is going to give you a hard time. Plus, I will be there and you can also play mix double with a guy!!;) Another BC member is acutally joining us next week!!! :D Very exciting to meet with badminton lovers all over the world in HK...let me know!!:cool:

17. jeepu

jeepu Regular Member

Web Guy
    KONNICHIWA Cookiss,

I'm interested to play! Count me in please! Hopefully I'll still be in HK by then but feel free to contact me at messenger@jeepu.net about that

1) Place to play badminton at:
    http://esd.gov.hk/ga/leisurelink/eng/default.asp This link shows all public gyms runned by the government. I'm still not too sure about private places; so far I only know that there's badminton courts in YMCA in Mongkok. Court rent is $50-60 HKD in average.

2) I got a Ti-7 too...I understand your pain of losing it :( But its cheap to get racquets in HK so don't worry :) My current fav shop is http://www.racketshop.com.hk in Mongkok, low price, good service, only down side is that the building entrance is a little crippy :eek:. Never try those sport stores on Fa-Yuen st., Mongkok, they're unprofessional and pricy.

3) Indoor shoes are recommended, although so far I haven't seen anybody got kicked out by wearing black-sole shoes...guess people here just don't care. As well, getting new pair of court shoes in HK is pretty cheap, at least relative to Vancouver.

p.s. I know Japanese as well, love to exchange language lessons if you like :D LOL

Cheers :D

18. mkwok

mkwok New Member

Scaa

Very nice, I am looking for badminton club on HK Island.
    CB is a convenient place. How to join SCAA?

I will be in HK in Dec as well, very nice to have a small group to start playing.
    Leave me a msg if so.

19. cookiss

cookiss Regular Member

Hihi, yes i'd be interested for sure! and thanks for the information about the badminton shop...but i couldn't stand it anymore so i bought a new one here already ...hehe...plus i was afraid that things in hk will be fake ><
    anyway...i'll keep your email and we can set up something !!

and as for the language exchange thing...hehe...i dunno which language u wanna exchange, but i guess i'm like you...i was from HK originally, then moved to vancouver with my family, and aftergrad, i came to japan to work ^^
    are u the same?

20. cookiss

cookiss Regular Member

Onegai.......favor? ^^

seems like all of u guys:
    mkwok ,,jeepu, psplrd, Gale Yeung, bluelabel, kogepan, and taneepak
    want to play together! and seems like taneepak and psplrd are in HK and know some clubs or places that we can play at...
    does either of u or any of you in hk mind setting up sth for all of us and email us about it cuz now everyone is saying "lets play" but without a set time and place, it's never gonna happen ^^'''

thank u so much!!
    (by the way, are any of you girls? or are u all guys?