BADMINTON COMMENTATORS... camera shy?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jug8man, Sep 2, 2005.

1. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    based on the badminton matches i've been watchin live on star sports (astro) for the past 2 years......... is the above title true? and why?

i mean commentators are a common sight for televised events like golf and wrestling to name a few.

take the recent WC for example. i had no idea who was giving comments. and when there was a guest commentator (say kevin han) u wouldnt even notice he was there. all you knew that there was 2 or 3 ppl talking.

also...... the gal doing the post match interviews.... charmine (i think) seemed to be camera shy as well. whats up with that????

so what are your opinions on this subject?

cheers from sunny side Malaysia

8man

2. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    I do not think Charmine Reid did many TV job as a interviewer so inexperience is one factor. Another point is the TV producer asked the cameraman to zoom in close to the players' faces. When the camera zoomed in close, you will not see much on either sides of the palyers.

3. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I've seen the commentators while watching... so iunno what you're talking about...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think i have the answer.

for other sports like football, etc, the commentators sits in their own little box seat, they can look nice on TV. but for badminton, they usually sits on a bench in the arena along with all the commentators. it is pretty cramped there and it will be really difficult to get a nice camera shot of them.

here i have attached the location where the commentators sat during the 2005 WC. there must be 30 or 40 of them stuff into those few rows. they have a far view of the court and the white boxes are little TVs showing the broadcast. i also happen to have a shot from the RTM commentators' spot.. ;)

there are cases like the Cantonese commentators in HK. they are usually not located on site, but instead in a nice desk in the studio. so you can see their faces pretty regularly.

Attached Files:

5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    interesting.

i think for badminton to gain some 'class' in badminton viewership, some visual airtime of the commentators should be neccesary (during breaks only of course :D )

6. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

there are definately some good commentators in badminton

but most of them SUCCCkkkkk!

especially the ones who talk constantly - i dont care what language they are talking in German, Japanese, Korean, Chinese - or English .... some of them talk during the rallies on and on and on its sooooooo annoying.

another thing is when they show a reply - they typically dont show the amazing shot or dive the player made - instead they show the last shot of the rally which is typcially an error or shot into the net .. wow exciting

also tennis is almost always covered in a similar way - badminton looks alot better under better camera angles - same as tennis, except the tennis coverage people know this - some badminton matches I literally feel like pointing my binoculars at my television. what gives? :confused: