Person

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jump Smash, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Jump Smash

Jump Smash Guest

Can anyone explain how to do the jump smash? I've seen some people jump and do a double kick and then I really powerful smash; while some people do a normal jump, rocket into the air and lean forward before smashing. Not only are these smashes effective, but they're so visually appealing! Can anyone please tell me how to do a jump smash? Or is it just a regular smash, but just jump when you do it?

2. Iwan

Iwan Guest

Its a regular smash with an addition of the jump. The key while learning it is to get good at balance not just on the ground while leaving the ground but also on the air and when landing. Probably the most important factor is timing. Most people just don't know when to jump to get that shuttle. If you find that you can't do this smash because of timing, try learning the jumping dropshot first. Friend lifts the shuttle high to the furthest line and instead of doing the normal dropshots you do, try jumping slightly and do the dropshot you normally do while you are at your highest jumping point. Keep increasing the height of your jump until you reach your maximum point. Don't drain your legs out of power during a game by doing jump smashes though, save that power for lunges ;) Once you can do the jumping dropshot easily then start trying the jumping smash.

The idea of a jump smash and jump dropshot is not to make yourself look good but to get a better trajectory. Some people stand too far to the back when theyre receiving smash and they pick it close to the ground, if you use a jump smash instead then the shuttle would land closer to the net and that could make them unable to receive your smash. Some players might choose smash to the chest level two or three times to move their opponent further back and then suddenly do a jump smash to their leg level.

People with very good balance and speed can jump from center base to their right very quickly and smash the shuttle down the alley or even better would be jumping to their left quickly with their body slunted at a 45 degrees angle or lower towards the left to perform an around the head smash. These two moves aren't recomended in singles unless you are sure you can finish the rally with that smash.

3. Jump Smash

Jump Smash Guest

Thanks!!!

Thanks alot man!

I'll try the jump and drop shot tomorrow when I play, thanks again!

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    types of jumps

It sounds as if you are referring to 2 different types of smashes. A 2-footed takeoff, where both feet leave the ground simultaneously, is employed when jumping straight (or slightly forward). The other type is a switch-step (or scissor kick) jump when the smasher needs to move up & backward to keep the shuttle in front of their body (or least keep it from getting behind them). This second type of jump is the more common type used in tennis. For more on the execution of the switch step, refer to the following post:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=15135&t=14845