Football Season 2005/2006

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Sep 4, 2005.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    As promised, the return of the annual Football thread - an avenue for BC'ers who may also follow football to air their views on what is going on in the football world.

Commentaries? Rants? Who will win the Bundesliga this season? Rooney to top the scoring charts come May? Collina to defer his retirement?

I must admit it would be heavily biased on the Premier League in England, thus contributions from other leagues would be most welcomed.

It's a little late but better late than never, neh?

Last season's thread here.

No, not NFL.

Please post all football related discussions here to avoid creating extra headache for the moderators, thank you very much.

============

To start it off, here's an entertaining piece of supposedly half-time talk inside Chelsea's dressing room.

Who knew that the Special One can sing? :)

2. wirre

wirre Regular Member

One more who's been waiting for the reds to get back to glory.
    Unfortunatly, last year they only managed to win the "Mickey Mouse competition" CL instead of a real championship like the PL. Some say it's only the result which matters but I admitt I'm disappointed in the style Liverpool have adapted. Should be a "two horse race" between Chelsea and ManU I think. Maybe Arsenal and Liverpool can follow, but don't think they really can challenge.

In Bundesliga I expect BM to be on top again, but Schalke looks interesting too with a dangerous offense, and WB might be an outsider. Actually I expected BM to win CL last season but they seemed to run out of gas in the end of the season. I've always been a sucker for german football, there is something fascinating in their machinery......Hope their clubs will do well in the international cups and also think they are about to get something going until WC at home.

In Spain I don't expect my favourites A.Bilbao to win. Although it can be a dangerous thing with nationalism I like their approach to only have players from Baskia in their team. Quite a differance compared with what's going on in todays football with english teams without any englishmen on field, hideous transfer money and equally hideous contracts/salaries etc etc.

/ mats

3. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Whoa, the Champions League is a 'mickey mouse' trophy?

In Europe, there is no bigger club level trophy than the UEFA Champions League. By comparison it is even bigger than the national Euro Cup and almost as big as the World Cup itself. Winning it is like something special that may happen only once in a player's lifetime. All the crème de la crème of Europe would fight tooth and nail to win it.

Of course you are right, the Premier League is the bread and butter, so sayeth the great man himself, Shankly. Do well and conquer the local scene first before going off to conquer the continent. I agree with that but having 5 or more of Big Ears in the trophy cabinet is something exclusive only to three clubs in Europe; Real Madrid (9) and Milan (6).

It's no 'mickey mouse' trophy, nossiree. Wenger said he'd gladly finished 5th last season and win the trophy, Ferguson deferred his retirement twice in the hunt for his second, Everton (har har), thought they have just won the league when they finished 4th.

Last season's league form was most frustrating to be honest, I can see the reality that although we were champions of Europe, we are rather ordinary back in England. It's been over 15 years since we were crowned as English champions, getting in close in 2001 but hey, that's what being a loyal football club fan is all about - our club especially - the club never walks alone through the wind and rain.

I do believe Senor Benitez could help us close the gap from 37 points behind the champions last season to something more respectable like 12 - 15, with further improvements done all over the pitch with talented players coming in. Still, even the greatest optimist would tell you that we [will more realisticallly improve] in our league standings than winning it, but who knows?

My expectation this season would be a better away form while keeping the home ones consistent, closing the gap between us the champions. It's a long term thing, not to mention the manager is rather new to the English scene, but signs from Middlesboro and Sunderland was encouraging - just no luck.

Well, patience. I waited for 15 years, why not you? :)

4. Togey

Togey Regular Member

Come On Arsenal!

5. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Apologies to the long reply above:

Current teams with original non-replica European Cups in their trophy cabinets:

Real Madrid (9)
    AC Milan (6)
    Liverpool (5)
    Ajax Amsterdam (3 - in a row)
    Bayern Munchen (3 - in a row)

How's the view at Highbury, Togey?

Heh, I sounded like a football pundit!
    Richard Keys or Serbegeth Singh, anybody? :)

6. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Yes sir, in my book CL isn't any real competition. They've destroyed the classic cup format (in which we won 4 titles). It's only made to make the richer clubs even richer. But to me it is the classic cup format which is interesting, where the little clubs from small countries gets the chance to upset the "elephants".

"Champions League" my a**, actually it is possible for a team which has never won *anything* (no division, no national championship) before to win CL and then crash through the national system, getting relegated back into backyardseries. That wasn't possible before, you had to be national champion first.

The legendary Mr Shankly was right IMO. And I am eagerly waiting until we are reaching that kínd of glory again (like during the Shankly-Paisley era).

/mats

7. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Anfield OCB, Wirre? Glad to meet you. :)

Anyway, what a pity - forgotten about this thread totally and allow the thing to sink down the list. Should have updated per match. I shall go back as far as Real Betis and yesterday night.

UEFA Champions League Group G
    13 Sep 2005

Real Betis 1
    Azur
    Liverpool 2
    Pongolle
    Garcia

A potentially tricky game as Betis were unknown quantities in Europe, but not to gaffer Rafa Benitez though. His years of experience in the La Liga means Betis is nobody new to him but were constant threat with the highly rated Joaquin marauding down the right.

It also marked his counterpart's return to football after months of lay off, the highly talented Florent Sinama-Pongolle to the team and what a return that was. A goal within 2 minutes, thanks to a long ball from Carragher, shielded by the ever impressive Crouch and deftly floated over the keeper who was way out of his line. Fine goal that was.

Within 10 minutes or so, Luis Garcia, Liverpool's mirrror in league and European form, did some first time touch to guide the ball in. I won't go into detail at the frustrations we have for this little guy,
    Betis pulled one back to put it back into contention by a miss from Hyypia, guiding the ball past Reina in expert fashion. This was the sign of things to come in the second half as the Spaniards rallied and came rampaging down the field, pinning the Reds into their side of the field for most of it.
    All in all, all right.

Man Of The Match
    Pongolle. What a return, good form on the beleaguered rightside of the midfield. He could just make the switch from striker to winger there.

Moan Of The Match
    Nothing much, although diving Spaniards were kinda annoying.

On The Related Front

Lyon 3 - 0 Real Madrid

All hail GH! The superstar team of Madrid comprising of the some of best collection of players on the planet was humbled to great effect. Brazilian Robinho and Baptista made their European debut and was shown how it is done by another Brazilian by the name of Juninho Pernambuco. Free kick muff ups by Roberto Carlos and Beckham was punished by the masterful form of the delightful Juninho.

Could have been a hattrick if the penalty wasn't saved but it was a night of true romance for football fans. Wonder if Liverpool would've played like that if Houllier had stayed?

Villareal 0 - 0 Manchester United

The highlight of this game is of course, Wayne 'Great one, ref' Rooney. It was madness when he showed defiance to the referee by mocking the Dane Kim Milton Nielsen, clapping the man in black for the yellow right in the face and earning himself an early bath. It was a hotly debated topic for the next few days and I do think Rooney need to mature emotionally if he is to realise the massive potential he has in him. It was the second time in two weeks after the tragic comedy in Belfast against Norn Iron.

The other is of course Diego Forlan, United reject who emerged La Liga's top scorer.It was his former team who almost got the goal though but the overhead clearance on the goal line was just about the most exciting part of the match.

Dinamo Bucharesti 5 - 1 Everton

Let's just say the result had the Red side of Merseyside (and across the globe) :D for a few days. Coming after a defeat in the league game to Big Dunc's own goal, it was perhaps the lowest of lowest in their history of European Football.

"Champions League, you're havin' a laugh!" :D

#7 wilfredlgf, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    English Premier League
    18 Sep 2005

Liverpool 0
    Manchester USA 0

Stalemate for the biggest fixture of the first 6 matches of the season so far. The anticipation was great, the expectations mounting. One of the biggest games in every year of the calendar, this was a game to win for both sides - United was 5 points behind Chelsea already and Liverpool had to pick up their form in the league.

Apart from that, English football's traditional archnemesis had more than just points to lose here; pride were at stake, gloating rights up for grabs. United had just finished last season without a trophy while Liverpool went on to make Big Ol' Ears a permanent fixture at the Anfield museum in May, so the need to set things straight between the two heavyweights of English football was in order.

More on why there is so much fuss between these two clubs whenever they meet, click here to view a neutral look into why it is the match of the season.

The first half was good stuff, with both sides taking the initiative to attack the other, making it rather entertaining compared to the past meetings of mostly hassling and tackles without little but duking it out in the middle of the park and an odd goal to settle the scores. Liverpool were just a little bit above United in this but the chances were far and few to come.

Liverpool's defence held on well, in fact too well that I can't really remember them doing thus so resolutely under GH, with good ball control and keeping posession with quick counters.

United weren't mugs either, their string of passing all over the pitch was delightful to watch. The crowds were also up in unison with the 'Field Of Anfield Road' and 'We Have Only Won It 5 Times' amongst others, making it just cool.

Great excitement came on the 41st mins however, as Nistelrooy jinxed past Hyypia to chip the ball that just over the bar. I noticed Reina did not go and reach for it as if he already knew it was too high, but I hope it doesn't happen to often!

Speaking about Reina, I felt the kind of assurance with him between the sticks that I don't with Dudek, so commanding and so confident. He was hardly troubled in the match and when called up, did so in flying colours. I hope he's the end to our search for the 'keeper. Nistelrooy's freekick was handled without a touch of trouble. Same with Van Der Sar, I guess. He too could ultimately be United's end of jinxes to keeping problems.

Apart from that, the game degenerated into tackles and hassling, with Garcia the biggest frustration of them all. The guy behind me went "... aiya die la Garcia!!.." ".. hey useless la Garcia..." "...aiyoh, this one again Garcia!!.." I was ready to embrace Rooney-ism by then but held my cool enough, because the match was good enough an entertainment.

Same goes for Djibril who came in for the ever impressive Crouch, whom had to gesture in frustration when the ball did not reach him. I say, Ferdinand takes more than speed to beat, Cisse lad. You need some brains to make space for yourself. Another outing of frustration for the Frenchman.

So, the spoils were shared with nothing much to show. Still conceded 0 from four matches but alarming strike rate of 0.25 per match. I hope the strikers pull themselves together soon or we'll be in trouble.

Roll on The Brums.

Man Of The Match
    Peter Crouchinho. I begin to think the £7 million for him was justified. Here was one guy whom was thought to be too tall to be mobile, too skinny to hold the ball well and too clumsy to be controlling it. Guess what? What a mistake. Such classy contribution when it comes to holding the ball up so that the strikers and wingers could go up, rarely loses the ball and shows neat touches that Garcia should have learnt from.

Moan Of the Match
    Luis Garcia. Nothing else to say, it's depressing. CAN'T YOU JUST PLAY IT SIMPLE ALREADY?!

Moment Of The Match
    Nistelrooy's 41st minute chip. I thought time stopped.
    Warnock's pull and dribble down the left flank the second half, I didn't think he was capable of that. Are you watching, Ronaldo-san?

On The Related Front

Chelsea won their sixth game in a row, beating early season surprise package Charlton 2 - 0. They're now 7 clear of 2nd and 3rd place. *Yawn*, so what else is new? With £230 million spent, they may well better be at the top!

Arsenal vs Everton coming soon later today. Corresponding fixture last season saw Arsenal's classy attacks hammer Everton for 0 - 7 in the final match of the season. Everton is in the brink of elimination from the UEFA Cup with a sorry 1 - 5 lost to Dinamo Bucharesti as well as losing the last league game to a Big Dunc own goal special.

"We want eight... we want eight...".

9. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Forgot to mention this:

Michael Owen opened his scoring accounts for the Magpies at last after, the Toons beat Fulham 3 - 0 with Shearer and N'zogbia taking the other two. Good on ya', Mikey.

10. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Yesterday I watched the 3rd round La Liga game Espanyol - RM. The commentators were giving remarks about that last season RM came to play the 3rd round in La Liga after losing 3-0 in CL (that time lost to B.Leverkusen). And the opponent last year was.....Espanyol! Do you remember what the result of the match was? Espanyol won 1-0. As did they do this time too:D Although the goal was a horrible mistake by the ref:eek:

I think RM starts to have a bad experience of 1st round in CL followed by 3rd round in La Liga against Espanyol......:p

/mats

11. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    Dude!
    this is Badminton Forumn.

It's SOCCER ---->>>> GOAAAAAAALLLL

FOOTBALL------->>>>> TOUCH DOWN

12. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Dude, it's called football worldwide not soccer. Even in Australia they're starting to call it football now not soccer. If Americans want to call it soccer, soon they'll be the only ones out of 7 billion people to do so.

13. wirre

wirre Regular Member

We are supposed to kick the ball with our *feet* - ergo "football".

Not to *throw* the ball and *catch?* it and/or run with it while holding it in our *hands*........ me thinks someone got confused on the boat to the new world in such a sever way that they lost the understanding of the words;)

In the "old world" we call that kind of game Rugby:)

FA = Football Association
    FIFA = Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    UEFA = Union of European Football Associations

/mats

14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    English Premier League
    24 Sep 2005

Birmingham 2
    Warnock (og)
    Pandiani
    Liverpool 2
    Garcia
    Cissè (pen)

Very tricky game this.

Last season Birmingham did the 'double' on us and had Real Azur laughing as they 'romped' to 4th place. Six points lost last season here, goals by the ever threatening and impressive Julian Gray and Walter Pandiani made the difference, hitting the Reds for 2 - 0.

And both were instrumental again this time. The nuisance of Gray finally brought dividends whenever he does his runs down either side of the flank, scoring directly after a corner, where Warnock headed the ball into his own net in desperation.

Before that, the introduction of Luis Garcia added some urgency to the match, latching to the through pass from Captain Marvel to slot the ball in, making it 1 - 0. We thought it must be a win.

Well, at least most people at the shop thought so.

Julian Gray had other ideas as the Red half of Merseyside scored their second goal in less than 5 minutes. Warnock headed one of the best own goal of the season.

At that moment, it was sheer panic. The introduction of Pandiani added greater problems to the aging back four with Carradona playing like there's no tomorrow, making me rather wary that he could be overworked by the end January if the attacks don't get stopped in midfield.

Reina did a save to deny him but was too late to get the rebound where the Uruguayan slotted in with pleasure.

Suddenly, the game was lively. There was attack from both sides, making it one of the two most exciting matches in the Premiership for a while. Each coming close to score at either end as both sides piled on the pressure for the last few minutes.

Lord Frodsham's introduction into the game for Pongoal added some extra attacking dimension where he carried on where the little Frenchman left off, with fresh reserve of energy. The cross for Crouch should have went in but it was fine, I supppose. The beanpole of a striker did another great run with the ball into the box to cross to Steve to volley but it went wide.

Alas, under pressure, Birmingham's Kilkenny handed the ball after the ever solid Carradona headed the ball to the top left from a corner, getting himself sent off and earning Liverpool a penalty.

It was 50/50 really.

The handball could win the Brummies three points or earn Liverpool one.

Up came Cissè who slotted it in.

2 - 2 was the final score as both sides went on to keep figthing for the third and winning goal.

Who said the PL was a snorefest? :)

Pity it was two points dropped when a win would have been fairer but heck, it's an improvement from last season from equivalent matches. +3 in comparison to last season.

On the Related Front

Micro Oven scored his second goal in three games for the Magpies, a .66 goal per match ratio. Carrying on where he left of at the Bernabeu, eh Mike?

Everton Football Club aka Best Team on Merseyside. 0 - 1. Lost. Wigan. Last on the table.
    Boy did I enjoy typing that. :D

United fell to Blackburn through a boo boo made by the experienced but fast-loosing-it Paul Scholes, allowing the side managed by their former legend Mark Hughes to grab 3 points.

And Charlton won AGAIN. Amazing stuff, now second on the table, 15 points from 5 wins and only 1 single lost to Chelsea. Old Red Murphy getting two to finish off the West Brom. That guy in on the way back in England reckoning.

Aston Villa became the first team to score against Chelsea this season. There goes the clean sheet.

15. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    UEFA Champions League Group G
    28 Sep 2005

Liverpool 0
    Chelsea 0

Foul. No penalty.
    Handball. No penalty.

Jamie Carrager:
    "It was a definite penalty - every time we play them we should get a penalty but they are never given," said the defender, referring to Tiago's handball in the league match at Anfield last season which went unpunished.

"If we had got a penalty there is a 70% chance we would have scored and won the game - but we'll try not to cry about it too much."
    The best team in the Premiership needed two blatant penalty calls denied to survive. We all know who are the better team here.

Referee 2 Liverpool 0.

On the Related Front

No wonder the Toffees are well despised by their Red cousins in Merseyside - you won't believe how many Reds were looking for an Everton win tonight only to be disappointed a meagre 1 - 0. I was one of the many asking for them to thump Dinamo 4 - 1, while a few others hoped they'd get through winning 4 - 0*.

Time to compile and produce those Everton in Europe 2005/2006 DVDs. Should be available in two weeks. ;):D

On a serious note, Spaniard Arteta was injured by a pretty bad backbutt from the back and was on a fit of sorts when he laid on the field receiving treatment. The culprit deserves a red card. Hope Mikel is back running again soon.

Both Bolton and Boro made it through to the group stages.

* and dramatically increase their chances of relegation.

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    For those who find this boring because it's all about Liverpool Liverpool and Liverpool, then go ahead and talk about your team or any football news out there. :rolleyes:

==

FA English Premier League
    02 Oct 2005

Liverpool 1
    Chelsea 4

Was there a match on that day? Ah... lemme think. Ah, yes Mourinho's boys came to Anfield and smashed the champions of Europe into smithereens. It wasn't pleasant, really but it sure does knock the reality back into some of the heads at the Anfield crowd.

The better it was. Why was that?

The build up to this match up happened long before the date itself, culminating from days of talking, banter and discussion from the day before the CL. All sorts of comments came, I joined in of course, but I have issues with those who think Jose's men are there as sacrificial lambs for the rightful kings of English football to offer to the gods of the game. Words ranging from "3 - 0", "we're gonna t*** them good" or "Fat Frank's <enter a really bad expletive here>" had me thinking, "People, are you mad? This is a team that had not lost a single game this season, won the double the last with a new defensive and points record for the PL".

Rafa is sure to be non of those people who thinks this is a walk in the park. He definitely had his clean shiny pate steaming from the mistakes that came to be and capitalised on with extreme prejudice. In fact, I was confident of only a draw, hoping that we'd nick a winner if there's luck.

Of course, as luck would have it, seven clear claims for penalties since last year had been waved away, but it only took one from Traore (after a dubious handball from Drogba) and the ref points to the spot. 1 - 0.

Long before Captain Marvel hit one in to equalise, but he must've wondered what may have been if he had been wearing blue instead of red this season. Three more mistakes, pounced on and taken well, 4 - 1 to the visitors.

Shocking. Really shocking. The usually imperious Hyypia and Carra in the centre defence was stretch away, most especially the one reliable Hyypia. Chelsea centered their attacked on Hyypia with Drogba and it paid dividends. The Ivory Coast striker played perhaps his best game for club so far.

There really isn't much else to say, but you cannot make mistakes when a team the stature and capability of Chelsea makes a visit. They pounce on it and make you pay. Liverpool have twice the number of chances on goal but scored only one.

A grudging acknowledgement to Chelsea there, taking nothing away from their superb performance. We were just outplayed by a superior team.

Moving on to the next. West Brom or Portsmouth will be just as important as vs Chelsea as the campaign is a long one. Just like the crowd at the end of the game - a loud You'll Never Walk Alone when we're facing the biggest defeat in ... eons, at home, kept our pride intact.

Walk on, Redmen.

17. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    GO THE MANCS (Though I hate them still!) Thanks for ending Chelsea's run~!!!

18. Iain CS

Iain CS Regular Member

As much as I hate to say this, thanks to Manchester's second team for beating Chelsea.

And, as nobody's metioned us yet, my prediction is Manchester City to finish in a European qualifying place at the end of the season :)

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    When I think of City, I think of the song, "We have more Scousers than youuuu" which was kinda funny IMHO. :)

20. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    When there's no football to watch on the telly, in a way of saying if the Redmen weren't getting tackled or held to goalless draws, I'd maybe check out the results and news of other football teams around Europe.

I normally have one team in each major league in Europe, supporting for a myriad of reasons:

ENGLAND

Liverpool

[​IMG]

This is my absolute no. 1 team numero uno. I don't care if everybody loses anywhere else but this one must win and when they lose, I may feel low or upset. As some of you might've known, I have been an OOT scouser for almost 15-years already.

The first match I ever watched of them, ironically, was of a supremely talented bunch peppered with the legendary Dalglish, Aldridge, John Barnes; getting on the wrong end of a Cup final 1988, to the perennial party poopers Wimbledon (now MK Dons or 'Franchise FC').

Went through some really dark years in those 15 years, seeing once a colossus of a team going into a struggle ever since Kenny resigned to the shock of the club a while after Hillsborough.

Since then, we've become the Nearly Men every year, except for a brief moment in 2001 when the haul was 5 trophies and last year when that unbelievable match at Istanbul brought us the 5th and for keeps Old Big Ears.

Arsenal
    [​IMG]

I have a number 2 team every season, but it's not as important as the one and only. This team is normally one that I favour to 'win in our place', or because they play classy football or because they're doing better than they are expected to.

The team of Bergkamp, Vieira, Petit, Ljungberg and Overmars back then was one of the most awesome attacking team in the English league and you love it when they have the ball : crisp and accurate passing, quick movement and a bit of individual skill put in, a fantastic goal.

Of now, a team of Henry, Pires, Ljungberg and Van Persie aren't doing too bad, are they? Same as the above, plus a little more extra skill and speed when you put Henry into the equation. Sublime, fantastic attacking football.

SCOTLAND

A lot of people would go :rolleyes: if you mention the SPL because quite simply, the football up there is.. erm... using a more polite word, 'not quite entertaining'.

Glasgow Celtic
    [​IMG]

But I go for Celtic all the time all because they were well linked to Liverpool for two reasons:

1. We share the same club anthem.
    2. Our very first XI in 1892 was a team made of reserves from Celtic!

3. They were the first team we played against in a friendly after Hillsborough. I can only imagine the YNWA sang that night.

I don't buy into that sectarian nonsense, pure footballing alone.

SPAIN

When it comes to Spain, it becomes a dilemma. I am not sure who I like better to win things - most probably because boardroom politics happen to cause too much of mockery to what was supposed to be a football team; Cryuff and Laporta at Barca, Perez's policies at the Bernabeu etc.

In the past few seasons, it had been

Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Because of a couple of reasons, the first being that this is a collective bunch of talented players without the 'gloss' who actually play good team football. Their attacking is something you would love to end in goal. Perhaps it's from the background you're from too - I support a team that speaks the most in the field than from record transfers or big fat pay cheques. In this sense, Valencia is above Real in my estimations.

Second, ultimately was got me the first time was Ronaldinho. Seen his football videos at Paris, the tricks and turns he does at Camp Nou? Have him feed the predatorial Eto'o or just have a go at goal himself or great link up with Giuly - I don't know, he's... almost unreal. I mean, he's probably the most talented player on Earth at the moment.

GERMANY

To be honest, I haven't been following much of Germany and much of what I know comes from the press and my knowledge that

Bayern Munchen
    [​IMG]

is the most succesful team in the Bundesliga, boasting of some legendary players such as Beckenbaur and Muller. The modern day teams aren't too shabby either; the likes of Effenberg, Kahn and Giovanni were the best in Europe during their heydays. Kahn is still plying his trade there at an age most players would have hung their boots for years.

ITALY

All right, football Italia is boring.

Yes, some of the finest the world are playing there and where England is the most passionate, Spain is the most skillful, Italy is where the tactics are. And because of this, they tend to play at a much calculated and slower pace.

Still, I'd go for

[​IMG]

every season because I grew up listening and getting glimpses of the likes of Arrigo Sacchi's super team of the 80s and 90s, boasting a roster of the Dutch trident van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard, Albertini, Boban, Papin etc.

They seem to always have some of the finest year in year out. The current crop of Shevchenko, Pirlo, Kaka, Gattuso and the legendary Maldini are definitely not far from behind.

The other motivation comes from a coursemate back in Uni, who was an Inter supporter. He was a Red like me, but in Italy he's an Inter guy, so this 'rivalry' sort of increased my affection for the rossoneri.

#20 wilfredlgf, Nov 8, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2005