Static stretching -- a podiatrist's warning

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Gollum, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

On Saturday I attended the annual Surrey badminton coaches' seminar. A surgical podiatrist gave a talk about foot injuries in badminton. I thought you might be interested in what he said.

He told us that about half of all sports-related injuries are caused by foot problems. If you have knee problems, hip problems, or lower back problems, your feet are probably to blame. Biomechanical problems in the feet inevitably lead to inefficient adaptations higher up the leg, and these in turn lead to stress injuries.

Many people now work at a computer for long hours. Our posture at a computer is generally poor, with our feet lifted partly off the ground. This leads to tightening of the calf muscles, and subsequently to an adapted gait where the foot rolls slightly out of alignment to compensate.

He strongly recommended regular static stretching to ameliorate these problems. He recommended static stretching as frequently being an ideal method of preventing or treating foot injuries.

It is vital that static stretches are accurately performed. To stretch out the calves, many of us know the "lean forwards against a wall and stretch out the rear leg" stretch. Unfortunately, most of us (including me) perform it incorrectly.

To perform this correctly, both feet must be pointing precisely forwards. Even a small deviation (say, 10 degrees) will make the stretch ineffective. The deviation removes the tension from the muscle, and takes off the stretch. That's why people with tight calves will walk with outwards-turned feet: it allows them to reduce the tension in their calves. Unfortunately, it also adds a rotational motion to the long lever of the leg, which is supposed to move in a straight line only.

To stretch the hamstrings, touching your toes is not ideal. Modify this by crossing your feet, and clasping your hands behind your back. Then reach your hands down towards your heels. If you just touch your toes in the standard way, you may only stretch out the lower back, not the hamstrings.

He even recommended that static stretching be performed as part of a warm-up. As you may imagine, this caused a stir among the group. Coaches have been told by Badminton England NOT to use static stretching in warm-ups.

The problem is this: if we don't do stretches in a warm-up, when will our players perform them? The best time is during cool-down or separately, as part of a fitness programme. But how many of us can ensure that our players do this?

The podiatrist was adamant that stretching the calves and hamstrings was essential to prevent foot injuries.
    Stretches need to be held for 10 seconds or more.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What we have to do is ask the podiatrist what evidence is he basing these recomendations on?

As we have extensively discussed in the past, too much stretching can actually increase injuries - (the paper was published in a reputable medical journal).

I'm wondering if the podiatrist is saying passive stretching prevents injuries in ordinary people. The questions is, how does this extend to people playing socially, or competitively?

If it really does reduce certain injuries, then what is the interaction with injuries overall? i.e. it may reduce certain types of injuries, but then other types of injuries may increase so the overall benefit may not be very significant (or possibly even worse).

Worst of all, in a few years time, we'd probably have to change the recommendations again in light of new evidence:)

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I would have thought that an expert's opinion carried some weight of its own. If we must back up every discussion with citations of studies, then we will kill ordinary discussions -- they will degenerate into a list of references. And once you have all the references lined up, how will you decide between them? Due deference to science is good, but use your own brain too or you will never make a decision.

Static stretching has always been part of athletes' training programmes. Recent research does not contradict the benefits of static stretching; rather, the research indicates that static stretching immediately before exercise reduces performance. Some studies suggest it may slightly increase the risk of injury.

Static stretches should still be incorporated into a player's training regime somewhere. A good time is after the session.

This podiatrist warned that we are in danger of cutting out static stretching altogether. He believed the consequences of that were very bad indeed. I am inclined to pay some attention to his concerns.

#3 Gollum, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  4. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Even Doctors (sports medicine) here say that stretching (before and after playing) is very important. It's imporant though to warm-up (e.g. 5 minute jog) before pre-game stretching.

IMHO, I think the key to what Cheung said is "too much stretching can actually increase injuries - (the paper was published in a reputable medical journal)......" Too much or improper stretching may lead to injuries (but I'm no expert).

(as I posted before) I remember reading about (i think in Newsweek or Time Magazine) Michael Jordan's secret as to how he was able to maintain his level of play (which i admit is more of anecdotal evidence on my part) is that the time he would spend stretching before and after practice is almost same as the actual practice time (e.g. 1 hour stretching, 1 hour practice followed by 1 hour stretching).

Again, I'm no expert. So I will of course defer my opinion to actual doctors or experts. :D

5. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    ok this may seem like a dumb question but is static stretching? is it like just doing regular stretches recommended before exercising?

i do not get how to do this new way of stretching the hamstrings, would you mind explaining in more detail? thnx

#5 theasiandude88, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unfortunately, not all references carry the same weight.

And again, not all expert opinion's are the same. Note that in medicolegal cases, two experts can represent two different views on the same circumstances.

We've extensively discussed the merits of evidence in this thread

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13586&highlight=stretching

Even experts on badmintonforum.com (*cough*) may have differing opinions. There are always two sides to be taken.

Medicine has moved away from expert opinion based medicine to evidence based medicine.

There are some small voices in economics now saying we need evidenced based economics. As an example of theory based economics not working, IMF prescribed remedies for the economic crises in Asia had some pretty awful medicine. I think the country that did best was the one who told the IMF to get lost and put in currency controls much to the chagrin to overseas investors.

BTW, I won't want to get into prolonged discussions about economic theory on the forum. It's just an example of evidence (or lack of evidence) and its implications.

#6 Cheung, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

without wanting to tar anyone with the same brush...
    would this be a good time to mention Professor Sir Roy Meadows? :eek:

8. baumbaer

baumbaer Regular Member

I think we should distinguish between stretching before and after the trainings session.
    Before it's more about mobilizing the muscles with short stretching (10s), after the training it's about regeneration and relaxation of the muscles and perhaps about improving flexibility.
    I don't like playing with proper warm up or stretching , perhaps I'm just to used to it.

The only problem here is,if you say don't do any stretching at the beginning there won't be any stretching at all. You are trying to play or train as long as possible and you are rushing out of the gym without stretching or cool down. So you don't do any stretching at all.

And flexibilty improves your performance, look at the chinese players when they do their warm-up or cool-down. I cannot imagine they do it just for fun.

Regards mark

9. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Yeah, I remember during the MVP Cup, my friends and I saw Mia Audina, Pi Hongyang, and Gail Emms stretching several minutes (maybe around 10 to 15 minutes) before the start of their respective matches. :D (sorry we didn't see any of the male players stretch.......not that they didn't..... :D)

Mia Audina spent the most time stretching (if I remember correctly)

(I'm no expert.)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

When would it be a good time? :eek:

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

did he give any indication of what is considered "regular"?
    once a month/week/day , more often?
    or dependent on activity levels?

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Obviously we would all prefer conclusions based on overwhelming evidence from top-quality scientific research. Unfortunately, scientific research is currently ambiguous on the matter.

What are you going to do in the meantime? Stretch? Not stretch? Stop playing sport because you're waiting for the scientists to come to an agreement?

We can all shake our heads sagely at the failure of existing research to disambiguate the issue. But in the meantime, we have to get on with life.

I will encourage my players to perform static stretching. If I can't get them to do it at any other time, then I will include it in the warm-up. And I will certainly continue to stretch myself, since I've found it ameliorates my existing injury.

For the hamstring stretch:

Stand normally. Then take your left foot and place it just to the right of your right foot (so your legs are crossed, but you're still standing upright and straight. Both feet point directly forwards). Clasp your hands together behind your back. Reach your hands, still clasped, over your bottom and down the backs of your legs, bending as necessary. Move them as low as you (painlessly) can, feeling the stretch in your hamstrings.

Swap feet and repeat.

He didn't say how often to stretch, but since he recommended static stetching at the start of a badminton session, I suppose that once per badminton session is sufficient. Up to you really!

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Strech in general

Unless you are worry about getting hurt while streching, STRECH! Beside calfs and legs streching, I also strech my arms before playing. I cross my arms (or hands hold my elbows) behind my head then pull and strech. I would propose to other BFer to add additional strech excercise they do that might help also.

Thanks in advance.

14. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

own experience

As a competitive badminton player training 6 days a week what has worked best for me to improve flexibility is to stretch after training when warm. Or when watching TV after going on a stationary bike for 5 minutes. I used to stretch statically a lot but would see no gain in flexibility. By warming up and stretching until I feel no stretching of the muscles I have significantly improved my flexibility.

IMHO flexibility in my case anyways is best used to increase range of motion and the power I can generate from awkward positions. The worst injury I have ever had was rolling my ankles. I have never torn anything and seldom strain any muscles.

15. Pball

Pball Regular Member

To stretch the hamstrings, touching your toes is not ideal. Modify this by crossing your feet, and clasping your hands behind your back. Then reach your hands down towards your heels. If you just touch your toes in the standard way, you may only stretch out the lower back, not the hamstrings.

Won't I fall down... :D

but seriously I don't get this... cross my legs... put hands BEHIND my back.. then reach towards my heel!!?!?!

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmmm, maybe I'm not explaining this well :(

Okay, let's imagine you've been handcuffed by an evil mastermind. Your hands are cuffed behind your back, so you can hardly move them at all. If you could just get them out in front of you, then you might be able to knock out the guards with your freakish superhero arm strength.

Unfortunately, the evil mastermind has thought of this. He's also secured strong metal rods to the backs of your legs, so that you can't bend them at all. You'll have to hop over to the guards to get within range :D

Finally, you're not standing on the floor. You've been hung from a meat hook. It's really painful, digging in between your shoulder blades. Better do something fast.

But first things first. How are you going to get those hands in front of your body? By stretching your hamstrings, of course!

You have to move the handcuffs from behind you, down over your bottom (shouldn't have eaten all those pies), down the backs of your legs (you can feel the stretch now), down to your heels (ow), then past your heels (eeek), and round past your toes to let your hands come in front of your body.

Huzzah! Now you can reach up to pull yourself off the meat hook. That feels so much better. Okay, now hop over to the guards, who are playing cards and smoking.

That's how to do the stretch :) There are a few differences:

• You don't have to wear handcuffs (but hey, whatever floats your boat)
    • You should only stretch as far as you feel able
    • It works better if you cross your feet.
    • It's better to do this when you're not hanging from a meat hook

17. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

18. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

If you truly are a superhero, just use your supernatural power to knock the guards senseless against each other or the wall, a'la Yoda. Then you can free yourself at your leisure. For that matter, you can use your supernatural power too to unlock the handcuff and forgo the acrobatic. :p

And all the while you're going through these body contortions the guards are simply watching you in amazement? If I were the evil overlord, I'd spend a bit more of my considerable wealth to recruit more intelligent goons and train them better. :D :p

19. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    pls excuse me if there's one already, but maybe someone can make a poll on how many practice static stretching before (and maybe after) playing a game and how many do not, and how their game is affected by stretching or not stretching. :D

I know this is still not scientific, but at least we can relay our own experiences here. :D

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I do static as well as dynamic stretching postgame and sometimes pre-game. It's very essential part of my routine to ward off cramps and injury.