preventing knee pains (sry another knee thread :p)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by macca, Sep 6, 2005.

1. macca

macca Regular Member

hey,
    Recently after playing for 2 hours or so i am finding that my knees are starting to hurt a fair bit (The soft part just below the knee cap) and stay sore for a day or two after playing.

I was wondering, would wearing those knee brace things help to prevent these sort of strains? (Im only 17 and ive never even thought about wearing braces/pads etc so pardon me if they're called something completely different ;) - this sort of thing --> http://www.safesports.com/media/stardxhingknee.jpg )

Having read a few of the other knee pain related threads i have replaced my badminton trainers (to increase cushioning) and started stretching before/after playing (to releave tension etc). I always cycle to my matches/practise sessions etc so i am always fully warmed up by the time i play. Obviously i would like to avoid taking painkillers and so on.

I dont think that my problem is caused by wear and tear etc considering my age.

So too summarise:
    Would wearing knee braces (?) help to reduce the chances of this sort of thing?

Are there any other precautions that you would advise me to take?

thanks a lot in advance,
    Macca

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I would say try to strengthen your leg muscles by doing leg extensions and leg curls. That way you'd be putting less strain on your knees during play.

-dave

3. macca

macca Regular Member

okey doke, i'll give them a go :)

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Free squats (100rep) and wallchair (60 count) are my maintenance for my knees. Gotta do them everyday. Anytime I missed a session, I feel pain in the knees. With them, little to no pain at all.

5. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

I also have or should i say had those pains you described. Take Woodchuck and Cappy's advice and you should be good as new... I can tell you from first hand experience, that after an one week baddie bootcamp where i had to do those excercises for hours... my knee has never felt better !:D.

6. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    wow the training sounds kind hard but 60 counts (counts are seconds right?) of wallchair isnt too bad.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Depending on the condition of your injury, you may bent your kees anywhere from 45 degree to 90 degree. BUT DO NOT BENT YOUR KNEES MORE THAN 90 DEGREES!!!

Another variation of the wall chair exercise is getting your feet into the bench of a picnic table, or a chair that is solidly anchored to the ground. The bench or chair should almost be knee height. Now, proceed to do wallchair type of squats.

You can hold for 60 secs.

You can hold dumbells.

You can go down explosively and come up very slowly.

#7 Pete LSD, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

One count would be the time for one breath which could vary if you want. I usually take slow breath counts so 60 counts maybe longer than 60 seconds (my usual time is 3-4mins). I prefer this to waiting and looking at the clock, I am the restless type:eek:.

Most important thing to remember is to do it everyday and not to failure.

#8 cappy75, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Cappy,

Are "free squats" just going from a standing position to a squatting position, without weights? Do you hold the position, or straight back up? Fast or slow?

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

The one I do start with standing pose (arms at the sides) and then raise and straighten out arms in front (inhale). Afterwards lower body (exhale) while you swing the arms behind you. Lower your body until your hands could touch the floor when you swing the arms back up front as you rise (inhale), using the momentum of the arm swing to propel you up. The motion should be explosive and done without free weights (and you shouldn't use free weights for that).

Optimally done with fast repetition and not to failure. Reasonable target would be to hit 200 reps in under 15mins. I have yet to reach that:eek:. My routine would be one set of 100s twice weekly. This exercise would hit the cardio as well as lower body and arms. I would have done it more regularly, but I hate cardio exercises:p. However, just adding it to my routine helped increased my speed on the court as well as improved my endurance. It strengthens the knees to the point where I feel little pain after baddy sessions compared to before when I would have trouble walking properly after baddy.

Google Hindu squats for more details. I believe it's originally an old training technique used by Indian wrestlers. It's called Baithak.

#10 cappy75, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Cool :) It sounds like a really good exercise, and simple too. I like exercises that don't require me to buy stuff or join a gym.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Do not to do them too fast as to lose form and rhythm, just rapid enough to break light sweat. The arms movement would be akin to rowing a boat. Keep back straighten through the exercise. Start with 50 reps for a week everyday to nail down the form and then progressively doubles the limit after every two weeks to a month. Hope that helps:)!

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks, I think I will give those a go :)