doubles dilemma

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by heyphilip, Sep 7, 2005.

1. heyphilip

heyphilip Regular Member

Student
    There are times where i would get fustrated in playing doubles.. but yesterday was just piss taking. i need to prove to the coach and other players that i can play badminton at their level.. i think this adds to the fustration.
    yesterday was truly a test for me. all the partners i played with that day was not at the club level in my opinion. it was like three against one and putting my racket in danger.

For example... playing mix doubles lost 15-2.. that game lasted so long, my parnter kept giving points away.. gave her so many chances to finish,, but could not put a single shot away... at one point i just wanted to throw my racket at her. her court cover was bad, her drops was either too high or did not make it over the net. when recieving serve she would try kill the shot straight away, which basically how our oppenents won most of their points.

here is my dilemma, should i have said something to her, coach her and many of my partners that day. a little on principles to playing doubles, obviously picked up from this site... but the thing is.. i am not qualified to coach them or anyone else, the best i can do is to show encouragement and not fustration and dissapointment. how i can give advise if i am a student myself. i hate it when people tell me what to do, yet themselves cannot deliver. i do not want to be like that.

Then i was thinking could the problem be me, am i lacking teamwork, just plain crap in doubles, maybe i don't know how to play doubles, my opponents were not strong, yet they were able to win, could they have better team work, or was it that partner was bad. I am sure with another player i will win.

what to think??

#1 heyphilip, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

careful, calm down

about trying too hard on receiving serve, yes

3. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Double dilemma

Hi heyphilip,
    Be patient young man. Double is a team game. Communication is one of the key factor in this game. How often do u communicate with each other? Both of u dont seem to understand each other in the game. Communicate first, then later u would understand each other as time passes. In any game, sometimes u win and some time u lose. Just try to develop understanding with each other in this game by communicating with each other and give her a chance. If her shots are too high or caught the net, then she is obviously not skilful enough n needs practice. That is control at net shots and practise drop shot from the back. Instead of telling her that she is a rusher to opponent's service, just propose to her a better way of taking these shots. By making less mistakes, she is not giving away easy points to yr opponent.:p Tell yr partner how to work on positioning in case of attack and defence.That is front and back position or side by side position. calm and level headed discussion will normally help in this situation. Good luck.:D

4. iain1953

iain1953 Regular Member

I'm a qualified instructor and have been for a few years, and in my opinion, when playing wth a partner, mixed or at level doubles, and they are of a lower standard than you, a few words of encouragment, telling them to stand in a different place, or try another type of shot, maybe showing them how to do the shot, helps.

They are the learner, you are the teacher, remember, you were in their position when you started to play, who taught you when you started playing?

You will get more out of it this way, i'm sure.

:D

5. shuttlejunkie

shuttlejunkie Regular Member

Me too and largely I'd agree. Encouragement is the order of the day, but I would say don't offer too much advice in the middle of a game, just "suggest" one or two points and try not to let it sound like criticism. Better to leave deeper discussion of tactics/ shot choice till after the game.

And don't forget that of all the disciplines mixed doubles is almost certainly the hardest to play properly both for the man and the lady. I know many experienced players who really have little idea how to play mixed or which shots to play.

It really does take a lot of practice to make a good mixed pair, but when it happens a good game of mixed is heaven.

6. heyphilip

heyphilip Regular Member

Student
    In reality i am a quiet person, some say i might even be shy, but i have a great desire to learn and progress, and very competitive.. probably why it is effecting me mentally.

The thing is.. should i say something at all?? on the same level, communication is definite, communication becomes like a plan.. but on different levels, i don't want to be coaching or giving advice.. because i am not qualified in ways of a coach and a greater experience player, any advice given might have more negative effects than postive, and ruin the fun of the game, for all the players rather than just me. (ANY ADVICE ON THIS?)

Should i say something more to my partner besides "unlucky" or "good shot"??

Or Should i just focus on playing with "better" players?
    When i started badminton, which was like a year ago.. i never played with people who i cannot keep up with... well it was more like they did not want to play with me. Now that i get to play with county level, and some league players why should i play with people who just starting to pick up badminton??? Or am i missing some concept here???

Playing doubles is definite more tough than playing singles.

7. iain1953

iain1953 Regular Member

As i said before, we all have to start somewhere - Playing with better players will improve your standard, but not overnight. Playing with other people who are a standard below you, they will start to look to you for help.

It gives you a chance to try shots you have learnt from playing with better players, you have less pressure and time to perfect your strokes, and passing on valuable information to lesser players to help them along, be confident with what you say to them.

:D

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One thing I see here is, u take the win/loss way too seriously. I always believe, the result of a game (especially with huge skill gap in btw) can NOT really effect the true skill lvl. Also, over concern the score, will result in un-necessary pressure on u, which further damage ur performance.

Whatever u want to do, it's all depend on u. Like u said, double is a team work. If the team work is not there (for whatever reason), then it's the decision making time:

1. Communicate with the current partner, improve together on team work as well as individual skill.

or

2. Totally give up on current partner (for whatever reason), try to get a better bit within ur team.

3. Be patient, study urself 1st, then make a decision btw 1 and 2 in a later time.

#8 LazyBuddy, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem is, if everyone wants to play with better ppl, then, myself will be the weakest link. Do my partners or opponents feel comfortable or pissed? :rolleyes:

10. Pball

Pball Regular Member

MY 2 cents..

re your partner ... firstly I am assuming that it is not a tournament or something serious like that. If so, just start the match with a lighter mood.. In case, the game gets to the point of being really frustrating for you because of mistakes or shortcomings of your partner, just remind yourself - she wants to win too, and she is trying. This will help take the edge off. Like the others said an encouraging word now and then helps a lot.. A "nice try" or "good idea" will always be a lot better than a "what the heck was that.." Then try your best to compensate for your weak partner.. in a way it will become a training of sorts.. so after the match you might have improved a bit, who knows.. If your coach is worth his salt, he will know where the "blame" (if you want to use that word) is..

As to playing exclusively with better players... heh heh.. just think where you would be if those players were thinking like you... eh..??

#10 Pball, Sep 11, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2005