Uncontrollable Anger & Frustration

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kamen, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Dear All,

Have you ever had a player that has uncontrollable anger and frustration?

Take my friend as an example, he would swear, curse, throw his racket, hit the net with his racket and etc.

The worst part is that he is angry at his own errors. If he was angry at the way I played, I could at least help by making fewer mistakes or hit more high percentage shots! :confused:

I really have no idea as to what i should do in this situation. Tell me what you guys/gals think.

2. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    Used to be like your friend, really frustrated about the way I played but have been better these days. I guess problem is that your friend may be playing quite inconsistently, making lots of unforced errors and then losing his confidence and the situation got worse. He would need to understand that his anger not only affects his play, but also his partner and people around him. He needs to know where the problems are and try to correct them. It certainly does not help by scaring people who otherwise would want to play with him.

3. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    wow, psplrd, your descriptions match 100% about my friend's situation. It is now affecting the people around him. Some of the team members have already given up and concluded he has attitude problem. But, i still wish i could help.

I only wish if he was like you and be able to self-diagnosed the problem and changed for the better. Hat's off to you!

Do you guys/gals have the same problem? Is this normal? :confused:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it could be stress from everyday life. is he a happy person? maybe he is feeling frustrated and depressed, and badminton just acted as the catalyst and releases all these tension inside him. when i am unhappy with work or life, sometimes my tolerance and temper shows during badminton. perhaps you can try talk to him in a casual manner and see if you can sense if there are issues with his everyday life.

otherwise, it could be personality, in which there maybe very little you can do...

5. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    I guess Kwun could be right, too!! When I was having my time with "bad attitutde", much was happening in my personal life as well. I was bascially playing badminton for the "wrong" reason, therefore, frustration, frustration, frustration...

Talk to your friend, help him to understand nothing is going to change overnight. If skills is the problem, get a coach or something...

6. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    same here, when i am unhappy or stressed, it would show during my game. however, i reckon our's are still considered normal.

i haven't got the chance to talk to him casually but i think generally he is a happy chap. He has a stable job, pretty girlfriend and i don't think he has financial worries. He smiles and laughs a lot during normal conversations.

I have been playing with this friend since 2000. During these years, we tried all sort of methods but failed. We gave encouragement, told him to relax, etc etc.

However, the only time when he could suddenly control his frustration or anger is when his partner "acted" more frustrated or angry at the game (not at him but at the game). Only then, he would stop. Strange but true! :eek:

7. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    He has good skills, footwork and tactics but lack stamina and loads of unforced errors.

8. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

maybe he just doesn't have enough confiden in his skills. I think u should tell him face to face so he could change his attitude before he end up alone without anyone to play with. I knew a guy just like that in my club, now he always sit alone and no one bother to ask him to play with because of his attitude. Usually I hate people like that cause they alway ruin a good game just because they couldn't handle a few minor errors.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Don't we all encounter players like him in our clubs. Some of them mellow down over time, some just keep at it. Those who don't change their ways will eventually have no one willing to play with them. It's very important to understand that badminton is a social game despite its competitive nature. One is very dependent on others' goodwill for great games and skill improvement.

I think Kamen should have a long talk with his friend about his attitude and how he affects others around him. It's easier if he's just bad on the court.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Heh :) , sounds like someone we know who is totally normal off court but who is a complete A hole on court :D :D :D .

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I know a guy like that. He told me he has ADHD. He also think he is very good and plays very aggressivly. I question that behind his back. Not a lot of people would play double with him. Some people with ADHD has temper problem because they know they can do better if they control their temper. It is like swimming up stream. Any little let up and you will be washed down the river.

12. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    What does ADHD mean? :confused:

13. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

[size=-1]
    Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
    [/size]

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Very true.

On a bad day, I sometimes put too much expectation in my games (i.e. win all) and hope to get a relief. However, it could back fire, if I under perform. Once or twice, I slapped the wall in total frustration after a bad shot. Of course, that won't really help my game, as well as mess up my reputation. :(

15. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Don't forget, age might be a factor too..is your friend reasonably young? Normally the 'young' ones are a bit more, should we say 'passionate' about things..and as a result, can over-react to situations or not be able to control their emotions and tempers..so that could be it too..

But I agree with what Kwun said as well, if it was stress from his off court life, then he could just be taking it out on the poor birdies and ppl around him. Maybe you should encourage him to play rugby (or American football)? :D

Maybe he's afraid..afraid because he's scared of ppl thinking he's not good enough to play with them...mmmmmmm, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hates leads to the dark side..mmmmmm *yoda nod* :eek:

16. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    same here! conversely, If i am satisfied with my day's work and life, i don't mind losing all games and still feel contented!

and adelina76, my friend is almost 30. i do not know as to whether 30 is considered young or old to you?

17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I think kwun's idea comes closest-- perhaps the answer is off the badminton courts. You mentioned that the guy is on the same team as you? In school? Then perhaps this is an opportunity to get to know him a little better, see what he’s like off courts. You can’t change everyone, and I’d imagine that players like that being rather tough to play with are probably tough to get along with—but sometimes, who knows, they’re just looking for someone to open up to, someone to understand. Unless he’s a crazy badminton addict who is just too perfectionist for his own good, it’s likely that any anger and frustration he expresses is also linked to things off the court.

But enough off-court psychology. As to what you can do if it’s just in the gyms, try positive reinforcement—give him compliments when he does stuff right. Try to lighten up the game, tell him to relax and that it’s okay to make mistakes. Steer away at all costs from saying general trigger phrases like “try harder next time”, be as objective as possible about what criticisms you offer if there really is a problem with his techniques or tactics.

If there is one type of player who is similar to the angry player, it is the player who gets discouraged (usually beginners in the face of expert opponents). The difference is that they’re not vocal or violent, the on the other hand clam up and turn silent—but the end result is reduced performance.

For both cases, it’s all about setting up the right ‘mood’ for the game. Things that help this are taking into account effort, and not results—for example, even if you lose the points, if it was a good rally, give the guy a high five, pat him on the shoulder or something. (Some people do this too much, obviously, but that’s another story)

It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually IS one of these angry players…

On a side note it is very difficult to play friendly games with or against angry players because the whole attitude is kinda scary. But in a serious competitive match, I’m guilty of playing in such a way as to provoke these kinds of players— for example, a player I play against sometimes in singles and doubles, if I have an opportunity for a kill I will sometimes opt NOT to take the safe kill (say, a smash from my midcourt to one of his unexposed corners) and risk instead a drive or lob to corners or drops that I know he has a slight chance of getting but is likely to fail at… (something I learned from BC article “Causing Damage”). The point is that though a kill would have earned an instant point, against players who have these kinds of angry reactions, sometimes risking loss of a point just to mess them up mentally will in the long run dictate the positive (for me) outcome of the match.

Try to talk sense into the guy, in a nice way—point out the logic of playing more relaxed. Less errors, for one thing.

From another perspective, point out what about their anger is OK… that getting upset over a failed technique is natural, and a certain amount of dissatisfaction is what does lead to improvement—BUT, more importantly point out that too much dissatisfaction is a mental weakness that can be exploited by the enemy. It is better to screw up a technique every now and then and lose a point then to get in the habit of getting uncontrollably angry, which will lead to loss of the entire game.

Players should concentrate on good intentioned efforts (by good intentioned, I mean tactically wise shots) rather than the results—the results will improve themselves with practice, but what can always go down is effort when people get discouraged or angry.

(Not to mention that angry people are just not as fun to play with…)

18. macca

macca Regular Member

I have to play doubles with a guy just like that, although hes took to hitting himself with his racquet instead of throwing it at walls so its starting to happen less (great idea to stop racquet abuse?!)

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ADHD is usually associated with sudden impulsive release of anger.

you do mean "if they control their focus", right?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how about the other extreme? what happens if he plays with a very friendly chatty, funny partner who smiles all the time?