My problem with smashing and clearing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by newplayer, Sep 10, 2005.

1. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Hi guys,

This post is more of a complaint than a cry for help.

I have two new problems. It felt like that only a few months ago, I had to try
    really really really hard to do a baseline to baseline clear, but now, if I stand
    1.5 meters inside my baseline, I will just keep clearing the shuttle over the
    baseline on the other side!! This is really annoying because I lost at least 20
    points because of it in my games today! I know that I should just stop hitting
    the shuttle too hard --- easier to say than done -- I fear that if I don't clear with
    my full strength, I might just clear the shuttle to the middle of the court which
    would give my opponents a kill opportunity. I guess I just need to practise more.

The second problem is with my smashes --- I cannot do it, 40% of my smashes
    have a rather flat trajectory and end up outside the court, and the other 40%
    would hit the net; the final 19% would be rather weak and easy to return, the last
    1% would be a reasonably effective smash ... can people give me some hints
    to improve my smashes?

Thanks a lot for your patience.

NP

2. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    How long have you been playing badminton?
    do you use nylon or feather shuttles?

You jus have to know ur own strength and apply the necessary strength you feel will reach the baseline on the other side.
    If its too much aim for more height but not too much.
    Im afraid it jus takes practise to get it right.

How tall are you??

The ease of smashing depends on your height, the height of the shuttle before its being hit and the angle of the racket head on contact.
    If you are tall you can jus hit the shuttle down hard so its like smash.
    If not, and i am small btw, start with drop shots.
    AS you are hitting the shuttle slowly and aiming it down jus above the net.
    You are familiarising urself how to hit the shuttle down and not flat.
    As you are more confident hit the drop harder and harder and eventually it will become a smash.

It takes a lot of practice and i recommend you do this with a partner as you can easily loose ur momentum when u are doing it on ur own.

hope this helps..

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum for your smashs im thinking maby its not the proper technique, if you just stand there and hit it as hard as you can then ofcourse its going to have a flat path and go out where as if you hit it when its in the 10-11 o'clock position and make sure that you are rotating your torso to make contact with it along with using your wrist, etc then i think that should help you, watch some videos of people smashing also might help. oh and dont hold your breath when you smash just let it all out...and dont think your going to smash the shuttle as hard as you can personally when i use to think that it would go into the net now i dont and it goes over nice. as for the clearing you dont have to hit the shuttle as hard as you can to get a good clear its all about the technique behind it, personally im not to sure how to describe it...well i mean you will just have to adjust the power you put into it so just rally with a friend and try that. you might also want to look at your technique and make sure that it is not a bad one. well thats just my 2 cents hope its kinda helpful.

4. ymerej

ymerej Regular Member

Hi, newplayer, well hopefully I can offer some help to your problems. Since you say your clears at full strength are going out of court, I think its the angle at which you hit. I think if you still clear at full strength but aim more for the ceiling so that your trajectory is more upwards, it may help shorten the length of your clear yet still ensuring it is high and deep.

In regards to your smashing, I think the best way to learn to smash is to practice your drop shot. A few slow ones at first until u can get use to the follow through motion (like a smash). What I mean by this is that you have to do a full swing for the drop, not the ones where you half swing and stop. Once those slow drops get better, hit with a little more power so your drops come down fast and with angle. Once you get better at these you can apply more and more power until it becomes a full on smash. Once you get ur basic straight line smashes down, concentrate more for angle and placement (ie.. away from your opponents forehand, backhand or at his/her racket shoulder). Enjoy.

#4 ymerej, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  5. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your advices, I really appreciate it!! It never occurred to me that
    I could improve my smashes by doing half smashes and gradually increasing
    the power, so I guess next time I play, I will do exactly what you guys suggested.

I think most of my smash problems are due to crappy techniques ... I've started
    beginners training, hopefully I will get better soon.

Have a nice day!

NP

6. terror

terror Regular Member

sounds to me like u havent been using smashes or clears long enough thats why. had the same problem before and i identified them just like u did. in subsequent games make an extra effort to play better and tackle those problems. oh well im sure u'll improve. go at it!

7. Pball

Pball Regular Member

practice...

The feel for the length of the clear will come after you have paid your dues in terms of practice time..

The timing needed for a correct smash will also come after ... yes .. practice...

Having a coach will speed up improvement..