New club in Georgia looking for members and competitions

Discussion in 'USA East' started by airathanas, Sep 10, 2005.

1. airathanas

airathanas Regular Member

grad student
    and members too! I am a grad student at Georgia Southern University and I have just started a badminton club. We have a range of experience and level of play. We are looking for members/players and competitions. We meet in the Hanner Complex Old Gym from 8-10pm on Thursday nights. If anyone needs directions/more information, please let me know! I have heard there are clubs at Georgia Tech and University of Georgia, but I'm having a hard time finding information. Our members are very interested in traveling and competing, but I can't find information on competitions in Georgia. Little help!

2. zhengh

zhengh New Member

Hey, i am very interest in playing badminton and i want to be the member of the club. i am a grad student of southern polytechnic university. my email is zheng198282@yahoo.com.cn, pls contact me. :rolleyes:

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Congrats Airathanas for starting a badminton club :) .

Can you describe the features of your facility (eg/ # of courts, type of floor, lighting, height of the ceiling, etc) so that potential players will have a better feel for your club and then may be interested in joining or dropping in.

Cheers!

4. airathanas

grad student
    More info

Good idea...

We have six courts, but we usually use three so there's room for more players. Wood gym floor, so it isn't slipperly or anything. Honestly, the lighting is not the greatest- the shuttle gets lost in the lights many a time. But it's bearable. The ceiling is pretty high, but there a lot of shuttles stuck up there. It's a really nice gym but not state-of-the-art. Plenty of room and there aren't any other sports going on that would be a distraction.

5. Mobstermobi

Mobstermobi New Member

I am from the Badminton Club of Emory University, GA. If you are interested in getting some info and having some common activity together please let me know. Thank you.:D

6. mlucret

mlucret New Member

I am interested in playing with your new club. I live in the Atlanta area and am looking for somewhere to play. Can you tell me where the Hanner Complex Gym is located? Do you have room for 2 more players?

7. airathanas

grad student
    Yes, of course we have room. but, my club is in statesboro, 3+ hours south of atlanta. If you're still interested, we play in the RAC building now (on campus at Georgia Southern), Tues/Thursday nights from 9 to midnight. I know there are clubs in Atlanta though.

8. jun_aguda21

jun_aguda21 New Member

I am interested in joining your club. I go to GSU too. How much is the membership fee is there is any? and is there any trainer? I am a beginner. thanks.

9. airathanas

grad student
    GSU Badminton Club

There aren't any trainers, but I teach the badminton PE and there are some experienced players that would love to work with you. There is no fee. Our practice times are Tuesday/Thursday 5-7pm and Friday at 2pm. We meet on court 3 of the big gym in the RAC.

There is an interest meeting on Thursday August 24th at 4:30pm on court 3 in the RAC. We would love you to come by. You're welcome to play on Tuesday night before the meeting takes place of course.

10. starkiller

starkiller Regular Member

Does your club accept non-college members?

11. airathanas

grad student
    The club accepts non-college members but you have to be a member of the RAC (gym at GSU) in order to obtain access to the courts during practice time.

12. starkiller

I was actually talking to the Emory guy since he is close by, gSU is quite a drive for me, thanks anyway though!

13. tryan

tryan Regular Member

I live in the Emory area of Atlanta and am very interested in finding a place to play, do you know of one?

14. tryan

tryan Regular Member

I am having a hard time finding the clubs in Atlanta or places to play....any thoughts?

My gym has said they will set up a court if I have people who will play. That is the Athletic Club Northeast. It is in the Emory/Virginia Highlands area.

Let me know

15. starkiller

What would be involved in setting this up, ie, any fees or anything?

16. nzelfman

nzelfman Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I know that there is a shortage of places to play in Atlanta but I just wanted to see how many people out there will be interested in playing at Emory University? There is a possibility that we will be able to bring in non-Emory student/staff to play in the center. Once I know how many people are committed in playing at a regular basis I will arrange something for everyone.

Thanks

EC

17. starkiller

I know at least 4 people that would be interested including myself.

18. nzelfman

nzelfman Regular Member

There will be no problems getting you into the facility to play badminton. Emory does charge $5 per entry for non-members. I will talk to the president so tat we can set up a method for most people to come in and play. I'll keep your contact details with me and will email you the details once I work everything out.

EC

19. starkiller

Actually, just join the yahoo badminton group I created for atlanta.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_badminton_players/

20. tryan

tryan Regular Member

I live right near Emory and would love to play there. You can reach me at Teya.Ryan@comcast.net. Thanks so much.