Please help choosing between the AT800De or MP99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by danielg, Sep 11, 2005.

1. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Which would be a better all around racquet? The AT800DE or MP99? I want a racquet I can use for both Singles and Doubles play. I read good things about both racquets but I am hesitant about the AT800 as it was "designed exclusively by Yonex for doubles use" - as per the Yonex website.

How is th AT800DE for singles use? Is it good or would the MP99 be better for an all around dual purpose racquet? Thanks very much in advance.:)

2. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Daniel,

From what I can see, most pros who use the MP99 and the AT800DE use them for doubles. I think one way of looking at it is that the MP99 and AT800s were doubles developments of the singles-intended MP100 and AT700.

If you want something you can use for both singles and doubles, maybe an AT700 or a NS8K would be more suitable.

3. pb_aznstyle

pb_aznstyle Regular Member

It doesn't matter at all. They are both great racuqets that you can use for anything if you like it for that. Mp-99 is great for both. Lin Dan used it along with many many other pros before they used armortec 700. Jonas Rasmussen still uses it for doubles. It doesn't matter what yonex says, they jsut wanna sell.

4. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Thanks very much, so your recommendation would be for the MP99?

#4 danielg, Sep 11, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  5. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Ok thanks, I am looking for something that has both power and control, something forgiving and not too difficult to play and learn (as I am a beginner and still trying to learn the game) with. I am currently using a MP30 which serves me well - but my sister who is in HK right now tells me that they are selling both the AT800DE and MP99 at a price much lower than here in Manila that is why I am tempted to get one of these (In fact if money is no issue I would just get both coz I can get both combined at a price lower than Toby's price for one AT800. But sad to say my pocket/wallet hurts at the moment :( )

From what I read, the At700 and NS8k might bee too much racquet for me to handle at my current developemental stage ;)

#5 danielg, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    I got an MP99 as a beginner because I broke a few cheaper models, and I can tell you that you will underuse any racquet to begin with.
    My MP99 definitely requires a more careful eye than some of the others I have used. But when it is gotten right, you can hear the racquet speed peak just before the shuttle is struck, and it sounds good.
    Touch wise - well, there's my weak spot. I did better with looser, older
    strings on many different racquets. Newer and tighter strings and I have only just started to get it right again but I am still quite inconsistent, I am quite often shielding my face because I pop them up too much. As much as anything else, I have only had very basic training in technique for net rolls.

Anyway, that's my experience with an MP99. Perhaps because of my years of tennis, I think about racquets and string tensions and shuttle speed and all of that. Other people don't really care, and one guy has a AT800DE he picked up at bargain prices (Australian code, appears genuine) and he doesn't care so much. It just goes to show, once you have a half decent racquet you like, it comes down to you. I reckon I could get by with either of those racquets, myself.

Good Luck

7. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Thanks very much! I think I am leaning towards the MP99 more simply because I am currently using a MP30 and maybe the adjustment won't be too difficult and on a more economical reason the Mp99 cost less than the AT800. Once again thanks.

8. westlake

westlake Regular Member

It is no doubt that mp99 is really a good racket,but it's too fragile.if i were you, i would better to choose NS8000. it is more impressive than any rackets that i have used before.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

And that's not fragile??
    :confused:

10. westlake

westlake Regular Member

IN my opinion,all MP series are too friagile except MP100.you see,last year on olympic games in athens, china player jiewen zhang broke 2 mp99 in one match--women doubles final,that's unbelievable but it really happened.So from then on, i packed away my mp99 and will never use it in double game again.

#10 westlake, Sep 11, 2005
  11. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    I thought Zhang AND Huang broke 1 MP99 each in that game, not Zhang with 2 broken 2MP99 (from memory)

12. danielg

danielg Regular Member

My sister got me the MP99 already and she had to tear away the silver hologram sticker to check the serial number on the shaft and cone. ( I hope that the hologram sticker won't be needed in the future :confused: )

Shaft number is 5332043 ;Cone number is 190152SP
    Are these numbers legit? Thanks

#12 danielg, Sep 12, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  13. westlake

westlake Regular Member

yes,the "MUSCLE POWER" can keep string's tensility longer than any other design,and give more powerful thrash. but it has its own design disfigurement.this designment will add more burden on its camber,if you string high (like more than 25p),every thrash will make the racket endure more tensility,so a sudden break will meet by chance.

14. westlake

westlake Regular Member

I think you get a legit mp-99

15. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Thank You very much! :)

16. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I am currently facing this dilemma too. MP 99 or AT 800 DE. You have a cool sister but i gotta buy from Yo's :(. When you try out the MP 99 can u PM me or post the specs of it? I seem to be around your level of play.

17. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i would actually lean more the at800def side since the mp99 seem kinda weak in terms of durability. of course the nano series is weak as well, my friend broke his ns7k when he mishit the bird where the bird hit the frame and thus the racquet cracked. i also find the head heavy a bit more suitable for beginners since it helps get power and control , but these should be coming from you, the player.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Mp99 is more of a all rounder racket. Good in control and power. No worries in getting a MP99 compare to at800De.

19. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Will do. With regards, to my sister, well, yeah she 's cool but I guess I gave the wrong impression here that she is giving it to me as a gift. She is actually buying it for me. She is currently vacationing in HK and being a badminton nut (a far more advanced player than me) herself, she saw that the prices there are better than prices here in Manila and thus asked me if I wanted to buy a racquet when she gets one for herself. :) I hope I can improve to a point where I can take advantage of the MP99's strengths.

20. danielg

danielg Regular Member

I know that this is all moot and academic since my sister bought the racquet already but I just want to know if the Armortec racquets are more durable than the MusclePower racquets?