Rules question

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by david14700, Sep 12, 2005.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Can anyone tell me what the rule is when this happens:

The other side smash at us, and our return is weak and high, floating high above the net. It's too weak to go over the net and is actually dropping down on our own side BUT as it falling past the tape, long before it hits the floor, the opponent at the net takes a swipe, thinking it's going to come over and touches the tape with his racket.

So, when is the point over? When the shuttle hits the floor? (we lose) Or when the opponent touches the net? (they lose).

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Can't touch the net during rally. Period. You guys got the point.

3. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    rules

Hi David 14700,
    Once the shuttle still in play, if yr opponent racket hit the net, then, it is a fault. The point is yrs.The umpire has the final say since he will be closest to the net.
    Lee;)

4. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

from the rules

It is a ‘fault’:

13.3 if, when in play, the initial point of contact with the shuttle is not on the striker’s side of the net. (The
    striker may, however, follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke);

In your example the point is over the instant the racquet touches the shuttle.

EDIT:

Oops! Misread the original post! :D

#4 Tomsk, Sep 12, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    17. SHUTTLE NOT IN PLAY
    A shuttle is not in play when:

17.2 strikes the net or post and starts to fall towards the surface of the court on the striker’s side of the net;

It's a matter of timing and a judgement call, but technically the shuttle does not have to land to ruled "not in play".

Often it is hard to call since it could be split second between the shuttle hitting the net (on the striker side) and the opponent hitting the net. Since it is hard to call, in minor tournaments or where there is no judge, the person who hit the net is usually called at fault.

6. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

But if i smash and the bird hit the floor then my follow trough touch the tape, I mean it's very clear that the point was over. Or if i touch the net with my body after do i still lose the point

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    The shuttle touching the floor will end the play, so your follow through action won't affect the outcome - technically speaking.

Again, often it is not just a matter of what occured first but what is spotted and judged to have occured first. Unfortunately, it is not always clear cut as to which occured first, since when you wind up touching the net, likely (if there are no judges) the attention will be directed to your follow through action and not to the actual moment the shuttle lands in your opponents court.

Without instant replay it's often the judgment call.

8. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

can the umpire call a "Let" if he is unable to make a judgement? or is he obliged to make a judgement?

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

if it is after the shuttle is on the floor, touching the net is not a fault.

this happened in the WC05 match between Peter Gade and Chen Hong.
    Chen rushed in to the net for a kill and his body followed through into the net, but the shuttle was already dead so he won the point.