User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samtruong200
    when you serve you cant hit the net? is that what one of the post said?
    that was an example of one of the misconceptions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    that was an example of one of the misconceptions
    Just to be clear, if the shuttle touches the net during service and lands within the service area, it is neither a let nor a fault. It is a valid serve.

Though the misconception is popular: http://westlake.k12.oh.us/hilliard/w...nton_rules.htm #3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFK
    There are other things that a player can do to make the serve more diffcult for the oppenent to see. For example, the English player Natalie Munt waits till the last second to set the shuttle and then she serves with a second or two. That is really hard the opponent to jump the serve.
    However, Ms Munt did not do that serve during the WC 2005. I wonder why.
    My old friend and coach used to do a serve with he body angled so her shoulder was obscuring her hand and contact point of shuttle!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jump_smash
    My old friend and coach used to do a serve with he body angled so her shoulder was obscuring her hand and contact point of shuttle!
    thought this is illegal

u have to have the shuttle in unobstructed view to the receiver from when u hit it (ie cant stand behind your mixed lady partner and serve so that it goes behind her (from the receivers POV)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How about this?

I saw a girl turn her back to the net to serve.

The shuttle is in clear view --- she holds it out with her left hand, but the racquet is not, until a split second before the shuttle is struck.

I suppose if it is legal people should/would not be doing it. How on earth is the server going to return a net shot reply to the serve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    I saw a girl turn her back to the net to serve.

The shuttle is in clear view --- she holds it out with her left hand, but the racquet is not, until a split second before the shuttle is struck.

I suppose if it is legal people should/would not be doing it. How on earth is the server going to return a net shot reply to the serve?
    The receiver must be able to see the shuttle clearly (stated in the rule of badminton) However, there no nothing mentioned on the racquet. Therefore, Ms Munt's serve was tough for the receiver.
    Read the rules and find a loophole, it will be to your advantages.
    Quite a few years ago, the Chinese was serving back hand double serve. Instead of hitting the cork of the shuttle, they were hitting the feather instead. This made the flight path of the shuttle very "unstable" and the receivers had a hard to time to jump the serve. Well, the rule of badminton was changed - now you cannot hit the feather on serve. The Chinese found the loophole and enjoyed the advantage for a bit.
    As your teacher will say, it pays to read.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your feet must be inside the box (and not touching the lines).
    Your bird does not need to be inside. I am 6 ft tall so I usually lean forward to get closer to the net (less air time for the shuttle in air). However, the bird must be tight to the net or I will be eating the serve return.
    LOL Frank! I need to work on my serve, I eat the serve many times a day.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info, thanks. I didn't know about the one about the Bathroom break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by other
    thought this is illegal

u have to have the shuttle in unobstructed view to the receiver from when u hit it (ie cant stand behind your mixed lady partner and serve so that it goes behind her (from the receivers POV)
    What - point it out in the rules!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The receiver must be able to see the shuttle clearly (stated in the rule of badminton) However, there no nothing mentioned on the racquet. Therefore, Ms Munt's serve was tough for the receiver.
    Read the rules and find a loophole, it will be to your advantages.
    Quite a few years ago, the Chinese was serving back hand double serve. Instead of hitting the cork of the shuttle, they were hitting the feather instead. This made the flight path of the shuttle very "unstable" and the receivers had a hard to time to jump the serve. Well, the rule of badminton was changed - now you cannot hit the feather on serve. The Chinese found the loophole and enjoyed the advantage for a bit.
    As your teacher will say, it pays to read.

Frank firstly point out the rule on seeing the shuttle clearly!

Secondly , what you are refering to is the S serve or sometimes crocodile,
    (see Han's article http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...nt/view/20/26/)
    the rules actually state your first contact has to be with the base (cork)) 9.1.4.
    Last edited by jump_smash; 09-19-2005 at 03:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only rule I know of about being able to see the shuttle relates to the service
    9.7 In doubles, the partners may take up any positions which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jump_smash
    Frank firstly point out the rule on seeing the shuttle clearly!

Secondly , what you are refering to is the S serve or sometimes crocodile,
    (see Han's article http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...nt/view/20/26/)
    the rules actually state your first contact has to be with the base (cork)) 9.1.4.
    Sorry, I should have quoted the rule.
    As Neil Nicholls points out Rule 9.7 is the one that I am referring to. The receiver should be able to see the shuttle. This rule is "more important" in doubles as the partner can block the view on the shuttle completely.

Yes, currently Rule 9.1.4 states the base of the cork mus be the first contact point in the serve. However, back in the 1970s (if I recalled correctly), there was no mention about the base of the cork to be the first point of contact. That was how the Chinese explored the loophole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The receiver should be able to see the shuttle.
    nothing says that.

only that server's partner cannot block the receiver's view.
    It appears to be perfectly legal for the server to block the receiver's view.

It's another matter again if there is a service judge, because if the server unsights the service judge then a let probably has to be called.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manduki
    2. You can NEVER cross underneath the net with your feet or racket. you may cross if the opponent is not distracted so that he cannot perform the shot.

3.You CANNOT lunge at a serve. You cannot move until the birdie is hit and at that time you may do anything.

I remember hearing in a dvd about a new law (From 04 i think) that its okay for your foot to go under the net now. I believe it was gade vs LD AE 04 final where i heard it.

as for lunging at teh serve, you can always do it after they hit the bird ;P
    does anyone know when the start of the serve is? I believe it is when the forward motion begins, not at the contact point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    nothing says that.

only that server's partner cannot block the receiver's view.
    It appears to be perfectly legal for the server to block the receiver's view.

It's another matter again if there is a service judge, because if the server unsights the service judge then a let probably has to be called.
    How would a server block the "sight" of the shuttle from the receiver?
    The server can use the hand (the one holding onto the shuttle) to cover the entire shuttle. However, as soon as the shuttle leaves the server's hand, the shuttle will be spotted.
    I do not think any server will turn around (i.e. facing the baseline) and serve in an attempt to block the receiver from view the shuttle.
    If the receiver believes the shuttle is blocked, he/she can choose to play a let (even without a service judge present). I have seen this in a competition before. Then the tournament organizer has to made a call on the blocking the sight of the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrunkZ69
    I remember hearing in a dvd about a new law (From 04 i think) that its okay for your foot to go under the net now. I believe it was gade vs LD AE 04 final where i heard it.

as for lunging at teh serve, you can always do it after they hit the bird ;P
    does anyone know when the start of the serve is? I believe it is when the forward motion begins, not at the contact point.
    The start of the service
    Rule 9.4 Once the players have taken their positions, the first forward movement of the serverís racket head shall be the start of the service.
    In case anyone is wondering:
    Rule 9.5 Once started (Law 9.4), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the serverís racket or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

I have included the link from IBF on the Law of Badminton.
    Law of Badminton

For the "invasion" of the opponent's court, read Rule 13.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would a server block the "sight" of the shuttle from the receiver?
    The server can use the hand (the one holding onto the shuttle) to cover the entire shuttle.
    I can't think of much else, but I've even heard people say that covering the shuttle with the hand is illegal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast