Service Question

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dave G, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Dave G

Dave G Guest

Is there anything in the laws of the game that state how long a person may take to serve once they are stood in position? I played a match last night and in the mens doubles one of the guys I played against set himself up to serve, looked like he was going to serve, then stood still for a full 5 seconds before starting the service action. I found myself falling asleep whilst waiting for him to start. I couldn't find anything specific in the laws, but thought it may come under the rule about causing 'undue delay' to the delivery of the service. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    According to Danish player-cum-comentator Poul-Erik Høyer, five seconds is the unofficial (but actual) limit.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    That's about right. IBF rules only state no undue delay and that's open for interpretation. 5 seconds sounds like very little time but is actually quite long if you are all coiled to receive a serve. Most folks serves within the 2 seconds mark (IMHO).

4. Phil

Phil Guest

It is a tactic I use against rushers and sometimes just to unnerve people when I'm serving to them. If you serve at the same time interval every time, they tend to get used to it. So a little earlier, or a longer wait will sometimes mess them up and they'll play a less-good shot.

Phil

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    An excellent doubles player explained to me once that while he is holding his serve for what seems like 5 seconds to me, he is analysing his oppponent's stance, when he is standing, is he leaning one way or the other, is his weight forward ready to attack the serve, or is it back ready to move back for the flick, etc.
    I don't take quite that long, but as a result of our conversation I do pay more attention to the items my friend mentioned.

6. jon

jon Guest

your friend is very smart.

7. tfc

tfc Guest

If you think the waiting is too long, you can raise your hand
    and step out of receiving position like in baseball. It would take away the advantage of the server.