Can court shoes be used as running shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Dave18, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Just wondering? I don't want to spend any more money on equipment. :(

2. danielg

danielg Regular Member

You will end up spending more since most court shoes have gumsoles which will wear out much much faster then regular rubber soled running shoes. It's better to get a pair of running shoes as it offers much more support that is designed for the forward movement/mechanics that is prevailent in running.

3. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Well I don't think you'll get injured from running with court shoes... But it'll wear out quicker like what the above post said.......

4. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

In this case you are take a calculated(?) risk to injury in using the wrong shoes for the sport. You title "Can court shoes be used as running shoes?" is similar to other BFers asking questions like:
    Can I wear basketball shoes to play badminton?
    Why can't I wear jogging shoes to play badminton?
    I want to wear to volleyball shoes to play badminton becasue it is comfortable.
    etc, etc
    IMHO you can wear anything to do any sport provided you don't care about sport injury.

#4 leehsim, Sep 12, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  5. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

The injury may not be immediate. Running with court shoes may very slowly lead to knee injury prematurely as your age. So slow death like a frog boiled to death in water heated up gradually.

6. danielg

danielg Regular Member

I agree completely - shoes designed for specific sports have support and cushioning system placed or designed in areas where it's most needed for that specific sport. Running shoes and court shoes should not, as much as possible, be interchanged as their design are completely different. I personally don't think a court shoe offers enough foot support and cushioning for the movements involved in running and running shoes don't offer any lateral support are too high off the ground for badminton.

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I would hate to wear running shoes to play badminton, and badminton shoes while running. If you want to save money, just wear crosstrainers for both instead. Running shoes make very poor badminton shoes, and I'd hate to damage my badminton shoes by running outside.

8. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Yeah.. pretty well said in my opinion. I wouldn't wear my baddi shoes for outdoor usage unless I had like.. 2 pairs of decent baddi shoes and another single pair of worn out baddi shoes.. but of course.. I'd only wear the worn out ones for outdoor use..

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Generally, court shoes receive far more abuse than running shoes. Best to limit court shoes to indoor use only to extend its lifespan.

10. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Cross Trainers? Bleah...

I personally feel that cross-trainers are the worst con-job foisted on the unsuspecting public by predatory sports wear companies. They don't do a good job for ANY function. Too high for court games, not enough support/too heavy for running.

As for the original poster's question, you are not saving any money at ALL by using one pair of shoe for all functions. If for instance you play badminton and run in equal measure, one pair of badminton shoes may last you 6 months and another pair of running shoes may last you 6 months. If you use one pair to do both, you will wear it out in 3 months, meaning you are replacing your shoe twice as quickly and assuming they cost about the same, are not saving a single cent! On top of that, you are risking injury, either shin splints and joint/back injuries from using a insufficiently cushioned court shoe for heavy duty running, or ankle sprains from overly high running shoes for court games. One visit to the doctor will wipe out all your perceived savings and then some.

As far as shoes go, you don't have to buy the most expensive model, but don't stinge in this regard. Better to buy a $30 court shoe and a $30 running shoe than a $60 do-it-all shoe.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You statement regarding to the function might be true, however, I don't think cross trainers are the worst design. The purpose for cross trainer is to provide comfort in LIGHT workout. If someone uses it for intensive workout / game, then it's the user mis-used the gear. :rolleyes:

12. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I run in my old court shoes, no problems at all. They are subjected to much harder treatment on the badminton court than when you are running. Think about it, when you are playing badminton you are moving in EVERY direction, but when running you are just moving forward

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Agree, Also, running shoes doesn not give the support for court activities and court shoes will wear out your joint if you use them for running. LB is right, use proper gear for the proper sport. Just like don't use a squash racquet to play badminton and racquet ball racquet for tennis. If you can't find a good pair of badminton shoes, find some other court shoe that is simular in functions.

14. danielg

danielg Regular Member

Just a question, Why can't a rqcquetball shoes be used in badminton? Isn't racquetball/squash quite similar in movement as badminton? I mean based on my extremely limited knowledge of racquetball/squash, it quick involves lateral movements and forward /backward lunges / movements right? Shouldn't racquetball shoes be more similar to badminton shoes than, lets say, volleyball shoes?

15. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Sauash involves more side to side movement, whereas badminton involves moving side to side and back and front. So if you look at a squash shoe you will find that is has lots of supoort on the side and it will be quite high off the ground. I don't think squash shoes will make good badminton shoes

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, what kinda surface? Badminton is an indoor sports (mostly), but running shoes mostly will be used outdoor, which means the rough surface. ;)

17. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

hmmm. depends where you want to run i guess. But there is no harm in using old court shoes as running shoes. Obviously if you start getting holes in the bottom you might want to change...

18. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    My bad but... How come running with court shoes will lead to knee injury? Just wondering... :rolleyes:

19. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I do not recall I said not to use racquetball shoes to badminton. I said DO NOT use racquetball RACQUET for tennis.

You are right, I think as long as the shoes is designed for simular foot movements, thay should be a good sub. If you compare the yy low tennsi shoes, they are pretty darn close to the badminton shoe design. Check out SHT298 and SHB50. I believe badminton shoes are lighter in design while tennis shoes are design to last longer. Just my opinion.

20. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

hey guys, there also indoor running tracks at a lot of facilities. running need not necessarily mean outdoors ;)