Buying a racquet for my girlfriend -- need advice!!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fadeaway, Sep 13, 2005.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Regular Member

Hello everyone!

I have decided to buy a badminton racquet for my girlfriend for Christmas, but would like to get it as soon as possible. However, I am having difficulty picking one out for her. Since I live in Canada, I would like to get one from this site: http://www.badmintonzon.com

Shipping is very cheap on that site and it seems to have an excellent reputation. Plus, it has plenty of quality racquets that seem to be reasonably priced.

First, let me tell you a bit about my girl:

STRENGTHS

- overall she is very fit and athletic
    - she has played badminton for a few years now, so she's not a beginner. She's not an expert either. I would rate her badminton skill at the low end of intermediate
    - she is strong and has a decent smash
    - she is fairly good on defense
    - her net/dropshot game is good, but she doesn't use it enough

WEAKNESSES

- she is pretty short; about 5'2
    - she is not super quick and sometimes has trouble covering the court
    - she tends to smash into the net, especially from mid-back court (this is her biggest problem; I think a large part of the problem is that she is so short and has trouble getting a good angle to smash it over the net. Or, maybe she's just not hitting it hard enough)
    - she sometimes has trouble staying focused. If one thing goes wrong, she will continue making more mistakes after that

One other important thing... she has very small hands! So, I would like to buy a racquet with a grip size of at least G4; preferably G5 if available.

From what I have said, do you think I should get her a head-heavy or head-light racquet? Stiff or flexible? Something for power or control? Since the smash is such a big part of her game, and she has trouble smashing into the net with her current racquet, am I wrong to think that I should get her a more powerful racquet to help intensify her smash?

I would like to get something in the $70-$100 price range. Any more than that, I feel, would be too much. She is currently using a crappy, cheap, heavy Carlton racquet with a big exterior T-Joint. The racquet I buy her will be her first very good piece of badminton equipment.

So, do you have any suggestions for me? Do you see any racquets on http://www.badmintonzon.com that would be good for her?

Thanks in advance!

2. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Well, that place is quite expensive compare to other sites I have researched for my own purpuses.

Don't get anything fancy. Racquet wont help any player improve that dramatic.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The New Yonex Nanospeed6000 may come handy this time for your girlfriend. they have smaller grip size of G6. Good racket. Aero Shaped for speed. Head Light.

#3 ants, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I was thinking about that, too. As well as MP66 or AT500. However, his price range is only $70-$100... (USD? CAN?) :rolleyes:

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Regular Member

As I said, I live in Canada so I would be paying in Canadian dollars.

SomeDude -- If that site seems expensive, what are some others that you would recommend? Do these other sites have shipping to Ontario for as cheap as 8 bucks like the site I had listed?

7. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, for a somewhat cheap priced racquet with good features and power good enough for someone serious about badminton, but not yet intermediate or pro, a MP-28 is a good shot. It is a good beginners racquet that can last a long time. If not, a MP-44 is a good head light racquet if you're willing to take the next step up, and an extra few dollars. MP-44 is easy to use and more of a control defence based racquet. Or the best thing for a serious player willing to go all the way, would be MP-66. It has great playability, nice specs (for bragging rights :p ), and even seasoned professionals use it at times. It's good for almost anything. If your girlfriend clashes a lot though, I'd go for MP-28 the most.

NS-6000 is also a good choice, haven't tried it yet, but seems like a nice racquet for girls, and should be cheaper than NS-7000 or NS-8000.

8. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    I sent you a PM.

9. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I think the best one will be a cab30ms with a little clear rock mount on it. How ever, that is not an option and it is not even on the wish list.
    Let's go for second choice. I would say a at500 will be a good choice because it is closer to your budget. Also it has balanced power and control. Very long (27in) and light racquet(3u). Quick to recover and longer reach. It has G5. Get a head light because you can always add lead tape later.
    By the way, can you pay for *** with $155 Canadian? Prob not with a good looking girl. Get her a good racquet, you just might get lucky. Priceless...

11. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    I doubt he will want to drive to T.O. for a racquet...the cost of gas alone will probably exceed the cost of AT500x2. Of course, it all depends on the type of vehicle he's got...maybe as much as AT800OFx4 for a hummer? :p

#11 outlah, Sep 13, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  12. Mr_Dangerfield

Mr_Dangerfield Regular Member

I don't think any Mid-range Yonex rackets can fit your budget ($70-$100)

I would recommend RSL, Hi-Qua or Winex racket since they produced quality racket at reasonable price

Check the following website

RSL: www.rsl-1928.com

Hi_Qua: www.hiqua.com

Winex: www.winexdirect.com

I hope you can find a suitable racket for your racket

13. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

Tenniszon.com is great and they have very cheap price for the canada arverage. They also ship quickly with good service. They also have pro stringer ( string for the tennis canada master. So it's a nice place to look at.

My suggestion, AT500: light with some pop du to head heaviness

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Acutally, if he can get a cab30ms (3ug4) from US, it might not be a bad deal. For price of USD$100-110, he will end up with a very deal. Of course, the shipping and duty tax might be a bit tricky.

However, as he metioned his gf using a lowe end carlton racket, I assume it should be oval head. Therefore, upgrade to a higher end oval racket, should give her some advantage in game right away.

15. silentheart

That is in line of my thinking. However, I think fadeaway want to get it in CAN and that price is an issue. Also, the diamond will need a ring to go with it. My origional thought was to have the diamond ring around the shaft and tell her when she get the ring off the racquet without distroying it, that is when he will marry her. Well, to put the ring on the shaft is even too hard for you LB. That is why I did not suggest that.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It looks like the MP-28 might be a good option. Even though it costs a small bit more than my original price range, it looks like a quality racquet with the features I am looking for (3U weight, G5 grip size, made for low-end intermediate player). The AT-500 looks good also, but is probably not worth the extra cost because she most likely won't notice much of a difference.

On a side note, I have been researching racquets for a while now and I am drooling over the CAB-30 MS. I have a fondness for oval-head racquets and would really like a new powerhouse in my bag. Also, I have never owned a 2U racquet before (all of mine are 3U or lighter) so the idea of having a heavier "big slugger" is intriguing. I really can't afford the $185 CAN, but I may just have to go for it anyway.

So, unless someone has more thoughts on the matter, it looks like I will go with the MP-28 for my girl.

17. violin_geek

violin_geek Regular Member

#17 violin_geek, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  18. silentheart

If you can wait for 1~2 week, why not go for a Cab30MS at www.badminton.net for $109 US = $128 CAN. with ~$15 shipping. And yes, ask them if they can put it as gift so you don't have to pay for the import tax. LB thought cab30 is a good idea too. If she likes it, you can borrow it when she is not using. If she does not like it, you can keep it in your bag. However, you will hear her complain about the diamond ring that you did not buy her. Or you can tell her that you already bought it, just waiting for the right time to put it on her finger.

19. gjz24

gjz24 Regular Member

Hi, I think AT 300 would be a great racket for her. (4u).

20. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I wouldn't recommend Cab30ms, although it is a good racquet, because you need to have fairly strong wrist and arm to take full advantage of it (even for a guy of my size; I am 5'11" and weigh 230lb). It is a very stiff racquet and for a girl it is probably too stiff for her. Why not look into Babolat racquet such as satellite pulsar, which Pi Hongyen uses and it is in your price range. I wouldn't recommend you the low end Yonex MP serise because it doesn't have the performance like high end MP serise for the price. With that kind of price you can get yourself something really good with other brand.