User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    It did not fail to pass the net. It passed the net from the side. There is a specific rule against passing the net underneath (or through), but not from the side.
    Even if it's clearly below the net height?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's interpretation of the rules then

I think although it passed the side of the net, it still is "under" the net

What if it was inside the poles? (some gyms the poles are 2-3 feet away from the sidelines)
    Does pole location determine the length of the "net" and how this shot is interpreted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be quite happy for an opponent to hit one of my shots that is obviously out of bounds - thus giving me another chance to win the point.

I think that if the off court shot was a foul - net posts would continue much higher to spot "around the net fouls".

2.2 Where it is not practical to have posts on the side lines, some method must be used to indicate the position of the side lines where they must pass under the net, e.g., by the use of thin posts or strips of material 11/2" (40mm)wide,fixed to the side lines and rising vertically to the net cord
    Last edited by ribroy; 09-15-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This exact topic was discussed at my coach part 1 course. The instructors -- these are people who teach coaches, don't forget -- were clear about the issue: it is legal. You can hit it round the side.

It barely matters anyway. In this situation, the shot is obviously out. His judgement was poor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AllisterBrimble
    Hi

I have recently had an argument with a friend about a shot that he played.
    He hit the shuttle around the side of post, 2 feet under the height of the net and the shuttle landed in.

Is this legal?
    It is legal- always has been. Also legal if it bounces off the post.

Stan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shot was perfectly legal !!!
    as far as I am concern as long as the birdie does not touch the ground the play is still on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie
    off-topic:
    His shot was called in.. If you want..i can track down the episode number. He pulled this shot off when playing both singles and doubles (with Inui).
    Actually it was called out when kaido did it while playing badminton...you can track down the episode number and watch it again to see for yourself. While playing tennis, they called it in, but during episode when he played badminton they called it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shot is legal. The net does not represent a never-ending barrier dividing each half of the court.

Btw, the shot is legal in tennis as well. Especially now, with players looking to hit the ball at very acute angles, I've had more than one opportunity to squeeze a shot around the post but below net level. It's actually easier in tennis, even though the net extends past either side of the court.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm, interesting dialogue here. Learn something new everyday.

*bookmarked*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sac_man
    The shot was perfectly legal !!!
    as far as I am concern as long as the birdie does not touch the ground the play is still on.
    unless it hits something or somebody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by other
    unless it hits something or somebody
    is still legal , if no one saw it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's illegal.
    the shuttle must pass the area above the net. some more in this case, it was 2 feet under the net, no way it can be considered in.

a bit off topic, but in volleybal, the same thing applies. you can hit the ball wherever but it must cross the area above the net only...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arief
    it's illegal.
    the shuttle must pass the area above the net. some more in this case, it was 2 feet under the net, no way it can be considered in.

a bit off topic, but in volleybal, the same thing applies. you can hit the ball wherever but it must cross the area above the net only...
    In volleyball, there is a pole going straight up at each end of the net. In badminton, there isn't. Because you get to hit the ball 3 times, they have to come up with that rule. It is clear-cut.

In tennis, you can hit the ball after a bounce, therefore the ball can be well wide of the court. Therefore, the understanding of this rule is very important.

In contrast, this rule is not that important in badminton. If the shuttle is landing clearly out, then the point should be yours anyway. If you still want to hit it, you're just giving your opponent another chance. Unless you are talking about very strong draft, which will eventually blow the shuttle in, in which case you should not be playing there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ho ho ho, I concede then, I'm at fault-- no way so many BCers could be wrong. Intersting though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion: UNLESS the shuttle passes through the red area AND lands INSIDE the court, it is a fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    This exact topic was discussed at my coach part 1 course. The instructors -- these are people who teach coaches, don't forget -- were clear about the issue: it is legal. You can hit it round the side.

It barely matters anyway. In this situation, the shot is obviously out. His judgement was poor
    the net (in optimum conditions and equipment) such as ibf international events is exactly where its supposed to be. meaning that u don't "extend" where the net would be in your imagination when determining legal/illegal shots. the net is placed so there becuase there is usually no need to hit shots that are as far to the sides, and so the net doesnt extend from one end of the sports hall to the other (like some of you are imagining it to do). if u hit it around the net, u must have done it from a position that was "out" and we'd assume that most people have better judgement.

the rule says going under or through "the net" is illegal, not "a line at the height of the net extending between the two sides of the court". also consider that the net is higher at the sides than at the middle. which height would u use as your imaginary height?

the point is that it counts, but it would probably never be seen in a proper competitive match so more exact rules haven't been made (such as for the S serve), but one should still try to follow the common interpretation of the rules. anybody want to ask JR about his take?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I'm getting a headache. If I was in this situation and couldn't come to an agreement, I would just play the point over.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast