Racquet stiffness vs. string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Sep 15, 2005.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I've made the observation that

A stiff racquet needs higher tension and thin strings
    A flexible racquet needs lower tension and thick strings

It seems to me that higher tension and thinner strings give much better power in additional to better control with a stiff racquet. i.e. bg66@24lb

With a flexible racquet, the reverse is true and thin strings feel as though it saps the power from each stroke. Lower tension and thicker strings gives much better power. i.e. bg70pro@20lb

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I just crazy??
    I think the above accurately reflects me, although it is also reflects the loudness of the sound a smash makes. Is the power/speed difference really there or am I just being fooled by the sound?

2. black man

black man Regular Member

Banking Staff
    Not exactly for flexible racket. I have an MP44 with BG65 at 21lbs, the smash power is damnedly bad. But clear, drop and net play are ok. Intending to cut it off and replacing BG65 by BG66 at 21lbs.

High tesion and thin string are super for stiff rackets.

3. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    I'll look into the stiff racket thing compared to a flexible racket, because i got a carlton as-1 which is the most stiff racket i've ever used, and some fleet ones for comparison for the more flexible ones

4. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    for me, i usually think that it is better to have a higher tension with a flexible shaft and a lower tension with a stiffer shaft. the reason why i do this is because the stiff shaft gives control but it requires proper technique to make the most out of it. i also find stiff shaft more unforgiving, especially the mp100 and at800off. with lower tension, it would be easier to get power and thus making it more forgiving.

5. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    I found my MP99 when new with pre-strung BG65 @ probably 22-23lbs was pretty good for sound and hitting power. Now the strings have slackened a bit it feels and sounds more spongy. Not as stiff as an MP100, but quite so anyway. It needs a restring now though.