Spring Valley, NY Badminton Club Starting

Discussion in 'USA East' started by coryprice, Sep 15, 2005.

1. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Hello everyone,

It seems the club in Spring Valley, NY will be starting up on September 19th. It will be operating on Monday and Friday evenings, and starting time will be 7pm. Last year it ran until I think around 10pm, though I always had to leave closer to 9pm because I had my young kids with me. I know everyone else was staying past 9 last time so I think it did run till 10, and hopefully should be the same this year.

Cost is dependent upon the number of participants. Last year was $100 up front, and then there was little extra cash needed at the end of the year to make up the shortfall. The shortfall came because the total end of the year costs depends upon the number of actual nights we played, whereas the startup cost is based on an estimate of how many nights the school will be open or closed on the days the club would play.

It could be as low as $5 a day if enough interested participants play. Last year we had one guy bring shuttles and then everyone just payed him 2 or 3 dollars to cover his costs.

There are 3 courts, a gym floor. Games are usually best of 3, but if it's busy, sometimes we just play a couple of games. In the early times before others showed up or also near the end when the crowd was less, we had time for a few singles games, but primarily it was doubles.

You can go on to the USA Badminton website for a phone number to contact Mathew who is helping to coordinate the club, or you mail e-mail him at mathewpp333@yahoo.com.

For your information Spring Valley is on the Rockland county side of the river, about 10 minutes north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. If you have any questions you can contact me or Mathew.

Thanks everyone!
    Cory

2. EastcoastAZN

EastcoastAZN Regular Member

Badminton mercenary
    Hi

How many players do you have on your current roster now? Which day is more busy mondays or fridays. So shuttles are provided?

3. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Shuttles were provided last year by one person basically. He would bring shuttles and everyone gave him 2 or 3 dollars, and he would use that money and buy more for next time. Sometimes others brought shuttles, but instead of everyone buying their own and bringin their own for themselves, if someone had enough, we would pay that person for the use of a few.

I don't know who is going to show up this year, but last year we had, on an average night, probably 7 or 8 people. There were others who were there only on occasion, but seeing the Connecticut club is operating on Tuesdays, last year would have been a conflict because the only night we could get at the school was Tuesdays. So occasionally we were busier than that if everyone managed to show up. Also there were a couple of people who showed up only once or twice.

I can't say which night was busier, obviously, because we've never had Monday's or Friday's. I would guess, if I had to make a guess that is, that Friday's would be easier for a lot of people. I don't mind slow myself sometimes, because it gives me a chance to get some singles games in.

Hope we can meet sometime EastCoast. I'm going to Connecticut pretty regularly, and I met Mitchygirl, but have yet to see you there. Sometime though! :)

Cory

4. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Club up and running

...Well the first night happened. What was decided amongst the people who showed up was a $100 membership fee and then $5 per night, and maybe a few dollars for birdies if you don't bring your own. Or there would be a drop in fee of $10 per night for people who don't want to pay the up front $100 membership fee. It's much cheaper than other clubs around the area.

The floor was re-done and is very nice. On Monday there were 8 people, which is not as many who were there last season, but it still made for enough people for both doubles and singles. And it's also the first night, so we're still expecting a few more. It's rarely busy enough that you can't play a game almost all the time if you want to.

So we're looking for players. Anyone welcome. E-mail Mathew at the e-mail address I posted previously in this thread, or you can contact me through badmintoncentral.com pm.

Cory :)

5. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    hi Cory do you still bring your child to the club? I want to try this club some time and I'll bring my 5-year old daughter when I go.

6. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I do when they are able to. Which would be every Friday I go, and some of the Mondays.

Hope to meet you there sometime soon. PM when you are going to go, and I'll be sure to keep and eye out and give you a nice welcome to the club.

Cory

7. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    I'll try to make it next Friday. I have a school event for my daughter this evening that I need to go. See you then!

Scott

8. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    Hi Cory,

I don't think I am going to Spring Valley this Friday. I went to Badminton clubs in Brooklyn NY and Union NJ last wenkend with my daughter and she liked both places a lot. There are usually several kids at Brooklyn club, and the good thing is that there is a security guy watching them all the time so you feel much less worried. Plus some other buddies in Hackensack NJ want to play in Bogota Nj that is less than 10 minutes from where I am living. So for the time being, I think I'll stay in these clubs. I'll try the Spring Valley club some time in the future. Will you want to play in any of these clubs? I know they are all a bit too far from you.

Talk to you later!

Scott

9. govardan

govardan New Member

Places to play near Hackensack, NJ

Hi,

I live in Hackensack, NJ. I would like to know about the places to play badminton near Hackensack, NJ. Please let me know, Thanks.

10. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    There is no place "near" Hackensack. There are a number of places if you don't mind traveling a bit. Check out brooklynbadminton.com, friendlybadminton.com, and CJSC for locations and schedule. As far as I know, the nearest place to play is Union NJ. There are 2 courts but one with Basketball boards hanging around, and they are only available 3-5 pm every Sunday. I am currently going to Brooklyn every Saturday. It's far about 1 hour driving from my place and you need to pay for tolls, but it opens from 10-4 every Saturday, there are 8 courts and a lot of players of different skill levels. We may have a place near after Feburary. Friendly Badminton Club is going to open some courts in Hoboken, and they are looking for players.

Hope this is helpful and hope to see you somewhere some time.

Scott

11. varmawku

varmawku New Member

interested

I live very near to Tappan Zee bridge. Can you please give the exact location of club and do you give for daily rates...
    Thanks,
    Sandeep.

12. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    The Club consists of taking exit 14B and heading east, off of route 87, the Thruway. Take it down about 4 lights, at the top of a hill, you'll be turning left on College Rd. Follow that all the way past Rockland Community College which would be on your left. Stay in the right lane, and you will reach a light where the right lane must turn right. Take the right turn, you are now on Viola Rd. Go through the first set of lights. Past the high school on the left, the Jewish community center on the right, and then take a right into the parking lot of the High School Freshman Center. Park around the right side of the builiding, and go in the doors there.

I haven't gone in a long time. Since I got my promotion at work I have been very busy, and perhaps when I get into a routine it will level out after a while. There is a charge of about $5. a night for birdies, and $10 or more per night to play if you want to pay as you go, rather than pay $100 up front for the membership, and then a smaller drop in fee. $5 still covers the birdies, though sometimes I give a little more if I have it, because the guy that runs the club puts all the money out of his pocket ahead of time, so I like to try and make it as easy as possible.

Cory

13. knk437

knk437 New Member

Spring Valley, NY Badminton

I am looking for badminton clubs around Nanuet, Spring Valley NY. I came accross this link about the Rockland Badminton in Spring Valley. I am not sure if its still active, if it is please let me know if you are still playing at Ramopa Freshman center and when, I would be interested in joining you guys.

Thanks,

14. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    Is it still open in the summer?

What is the schedule? Still Tuesday and Friday evenings?

15. liuqingde

liuqingde Regular Member

Research
    Hi varmawku are you going to Spring Valley for badminton?

Is the club still open in the summer? What is the schedule? Tuesday and Friday evenings?

Thank you!

Scott

16. kazbrady

kazbrady New Member

Spring valley club active 2006?

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone has details on the club in Spring Valley. Is it still active. I have been trying to find a club to join and live in Tappan region of Rockland County. Please advise if you have any details.

Many thanks,

Karen

17. mitchy_girl94

mitchy_girl94 New Member

Heya Cory

Hi, havent seen you in a long time..had a baby :p so had to take break from badminton for about..hmmm...4 months..and not I'm back again, havent played in greenwich too much, mostly in queens and manhattan, anyway hope your family is good, happy holidays

18. joejacob

joejacob New Member

Does anyone know if this club is still active? What days? What time? Membership fee?
    Thanks

19. thusid

thusid New Member

Living in Ossining, I'm very interested in joining this club as well. Suppose this thread is no longer active eh?

20. lemonddd

lemonddd New Member

teacher
    Any word if the club is still active? I live 15 minutes from Spring Valley & played in HS... would love to play again... even in westchester or western CT....