Right grip size?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Bojan, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Bojan

Bojan Guest

I trained tennis before and the rule for tennis grip size is :

Holding an eastern forehand grip (the palm is placed against the same bevel as the string face), you should be able to fit the index finger of your non-hitting hand in the space between your ring finger and palm. If there isn't enough room for your index finger, the grip is too small. If there is space between your finger and palm, the grip is too big.

Should i maintain that rule for badminton ? I got feeling that I should not ! On my racquet there is no space between ring and palm, they are just barely touching. Any suggesions about right size ?

2. Iwan

Iwan Guest

erm, well you need some free space in your grip for the racket to move, but not too much till your racket can slip out. Basically, your pinkie, ring finger and middle should be able to wrap the racket handle securely without much force and then there should be a tiny bit of space between the index and the thumb for the racket to bounce against. This way you have enough space to have a tight grip over the racket when you need it eg when smashing, as well as have good control over the racket with your fingers eg when playing netshots. Well, that's what I was told to use and do use. But some people prefers fat grips which they can wrap their whole hand around :)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'd prefer a grip even smaller than that.
    Badminton finger movements are very subtle. Much more subtle than tennis and the size of your grip can have a large impact on your ability to manoevre the racquet.

4. Bojan

Bojan Guest

Tnx cheung but please can you be more specific, please measure that somehow and tell me what you use. After gripping racquet tight how much space is between middle/pinkie and palm, or how much space isnt (how much .mm are fingers in palm). Thank you man ...btw. I expect more measurements from the others too.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hmm, vital statistics are a bit personal you know!

Handle circumference - 8.5cm

The hand measurement is not very helpful because the handling of the racquet always changes.

One point about holding the racquet is to grip it in a slightly Eastern grip, most tightly between the thumb and the 1st/2nd phalanx of the first finger. This is a pivot point for generation of racquet head speed.

If you can rotate the racquet head outwards, this will add to arm pronation therby generating more speed with apparently little effort.

The various grips need pictures to show. I had suggested some coaches to display this aspect on a website as it is something I have hardly ever come across in the literature. (but I think it's one of the basic things needed, IMO of course)

6. Bojan

Bojan Guest

Well my circumference is 10 cm and I guess I'm taller than you (1.90 m) and have larger hand so I guess that is ok now. I found some pictures where pro players hold their racquets tight to determine is my grip correct and now i think he is . Tnx for the tips also..

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The pictures I have seen in the past are usually inadequate and not comprehensive enough for pepole who want to progress to a more competitive game.