Info on MP-55 Please?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by SomeDudeInBlue, Sep 17, 2005.

1. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Hi, my classmate, who is also on the badminton team is looking forward getting a new racquet. He turned to me because I'm the only one who is super crazy about badminton in our school (well I think I'm the only one).

I showed him some stuff I had on some racquets I was hoping to get or I thought was super great and he also agress (mostly the Ti-10 3u), but he doesn't want to got hrew the hassel of ordering online and he doesn't want to spend much.

When I showed him the Yonex Graph, he saw teh MP-55 and was really interested in it. I personally do not know much about the MP-55. (I'm not much of a MP Series fan). I read some reviews and I found out some good things about it on the badminton central fourms.

But I want to see if there are any MP-55 owners out there still and give me some info on how much they got their for and how much would it cost now. Where would or where did they get it and extra information regarding (ups and downs) to teh racquet.

I also noticed that the MP-55 isn't on the Yonex.com site, which probably means it's not shipped to American continet, but is it still in production?

Any info would be great! Thanks!

2. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    I don't know much about the MP-55 myself, I've never owned one. But what I do know is that it was one of the first three MPs released, MP-55, MP-77, and MP-100. So it would be a good guess for it to be discontinued around the world. I'm not sure if it is still in production in Asia, but I haven't seen any last month when I went to Asia. Maybe you can find a few in shops. It shouldn't be expensive, I think it should be one of the cheapest MP racquets around. It is a little heavy, with head heaviness. In my opinion, a little hard to use, but in the hands of a skilled badminton player, it's all the same. I estimate the price should be a little under the lowest MP racquet, MP-23 is my guess. So I think around 70-90 US dollars?

If you can't find any, or if you find a similar model at a comparable or lower price, I suggest newer similar models, MP-28, MP-33(hard to find, discontinued 1 year ago), or MP-44 would be close to it, maybe a little better.

One last thing, this page has a little technical info, though it is very vague. I found it on Yonex US/CAN site a year or two ago and added the link to my favorites for reference. Hope it helps you a little.

http://www.yonex.com/badminton_spec_mp55.cfm

3. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

MP-55: 2u, even balance, regular size, hi-modulus graphite. I bought one about 4 years ago, but its still a nice racquet.

However it was discontinued some timme ago. If you want a similar racquet, try looking at some other brands, for example Babolat, Carlton, Ashaway, or basically any other brand other than Yonex, since high end products from their ranges will often be similarly priced to lower end Yonex racquets.

Most will perform the same if not better than high end Yonex products.

If you must buy Yonex, try looking at some lower end MPs such as the MP-28.

4. SomeDudeInBlue

Student
    He's interested in a heavy head racquet. The MP-28 is listed as a defensive racquet and he really wants a racquet on the offensive side of the chart. He used to own a Yonex Ti Pro-50 that I sold to him, but now he's tierd of using offensive racquet and wish to try heavy head racquets but on cheap scale. I preffer him using Yonex.

I had no idea the MP-55 was a 2u, that helped me confirm some stuff regarding the MP-55.

Regarding the MP-77, do you also have the spec of the MP-77?

5. Midget_Boy

Student
    If it helps you.

http://www.yonex.com/badminton_spec_mp77.cfm

MP-77 was also discontinued in early 2004, replaced by MP-66. MP-77 is stiff as compared to an extra flexible MP-66. And MP-66 is headlight.

Still, MP-77 is a good racquet to use nonetheless, if you can find one at a good price, take it.

6. SomeDudeInBlue

Student
  7. Midget_Boy

Student
    I also dug up some info on MP-70, which is Japan's version of MP-77. It's roughly translated, but has a little more detail.

MUSCLE POWER 70
    Trade name マッスルパワ - 70
    Commodity number MP-70
    Material High elastic carbon frame
    High elastic carbon shaft + アルティマムチタン
    Size 3U4 ・ 5, 2U4 ・ 5
    Proper tension 3U length 17 - 20, side 19 - 22
    2U length 18 - 21, side 20 - 23 (pound)
    Optimum string Hard hitter: Attack titanium (BG75TI)
    Control player: Skill titanium (BG88TI)
    Color Midnight the purple (339)

アルティマムチタン is Ultimum Ti,
    High Elastic Carbon is High Modulus Graphite.

Also I found MP-50, which is equivalent to MP-55

MUSCLE POWER 50
    Trade name マッスルパワ - 50
    Commodity number MP-50
    Material High elastic carbon frame/carbon shaft
    Size 3UG4 ・ 5
    Proper tension 3U length 17 - 20, side 19 - 22 (pound)
    Optimum string Hard hitter: Attack titanium (BG75TI)
    Control player: Skill titanium (BG88TI)
    Color Blue (002)

#7 Midget_Boy, Sep 17, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  8. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Mine says 2u on it. But when you are finished with putting grips on it, etc. most racquets end up weighing 100+ grams.

Why do you prefer him using Yonex?

9. SomeDudeInBlue

Student
    I prefer him using Yonex because Yonex is one of the best badminton companines out there and there isn't any other shops that sell other stuff.

I'm not saying other racquets from different companies suck (I'm very interested int he Wilson N1 and the Kason Energy Chain 109) but I prefer him using the same technology that Yonex has used in the Ti-Pro 50 and improved threw the MP Series (such as the Muscle Frame, the Ti Mesh, etc).

He's an intermediate-ish player, I dont want him blowing off so much money on a racquet he probably won't like.

10. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Compared to Yonex High end racquet, Mp-55 is 1cm shorter. The 2U version of it is also heavier ( easily 100g++) than usual 2U Yonex racquet.

In fact it is not only heavy but head heavy. I wouldn't recommand this racquet to your friend if he doesn't have a strong arm.

For the price, I'd say Mp-55 is an excellent racquet that can pack a lot of punch.

11. SomeDudeInBlue

Student
    He's quite stronge. I'm not scared of the heavy head for him. In fact, he was interested in a heavy head after I explained to him how it would help.

That's why he's after a Heavy head and I would think the cheapest heavy head yonex racquet is a MP-55. The other problem is he's interested ina 3u. After playing with one of my 3u racquets, he loved the weight. So yeah, taht's a problem.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Is that possible to let him visit the local stores, or borrow different rackets within the club to test more models? Not necessary MP55, or not even necessary yonex. If he happen to love one of the demos he could get his hand on, maybe just buy one for himself, if it's available in local, and the price is ok. ;)