Koo turning 20 with a vision

Discussion in 'China Masters 2005 / Indonesian Open 2005' started by ants, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar Sept 18 '05

PETALING JAYA: Doubles shuttler Koo Kien Keat turns 20 today, the day the Malaysian badminton team leave for the US$250,000 Indonesian Open.

But Kien Keat has more on his mind than the perfect birthday gift in Jakarta.

He and partner Chan Chong Ming would like a medal at the Manila SEA Games from Nov 27-Dec 5 as well.

The Indonesian Open is the duo’s first tournament since they defied the odds to reach the men’s doubles semi-finals of the World Championships in Anaheim last month.

Said Kien Keat: “The team is leaving to Jakarta on my 20th birthday. It will be a great gift for me if Chong Ming and I can go all the way to win it. But it will be tough.

“This year, expectations are high on us in the SEA Games and I am looking forward for it. The Indonesians will as always be our main hurdle in Manila.

“It will be good if we can beat some of the Indonesians (in Jakarta) and know where we stand against them,” added Kien Keat.

Barring any upsets, the world number nine pair of Kien Keat and Chong Ming are expected to play second seeds Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto of Indonesia in the quarter-finals in Jakarta.

They were beaten by the Indonesians in the last eight of the Malaysian Open in July.

If they clear the quarter-finals, they are expected to face one of these seeded pairs – Denmark’s Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark (third), Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen (fifth) and Markis Kidho-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia (seventh) – in the semi-finals.

The 25-year-old Chong Ming said it would be an achievement if they could be consistent in the second part of the year.

“After up and down performances in the early part of this year, it was a good breakthrough for Kien Keat and me to reach the semi-finals of the world meet last month,” said Chong Ming.

“Now, we have to maintain this form and do well in every international tournament.”

In the same quarter of the draw with Chong Ming-Kien Keat are Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah.

The world number 11 pair of Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui face an uphill task, with top seeds Candra Wijaya-Sigit Budiarto of Indonesia tipped to meet them in the quarter-finals.

Four other Malaysian pairs – Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Gan Teik Chai, Wong Choong Hann-Chew Choon Eng, Hoon Thein How-Tan Boon Heong and Ng Kean Kok-Hong Chieng Hun – are also staring at early exits.

READY FOR BATTLE: Koo Kien Keat (left) and Chan Chong Ming will be out to gauge the Indonesians in the Indonesian Open.

Attached Files:

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Wow, just turned 20!

This guy has a great future providing he keeps his enthusiasm and does not get afflicted by injuries.