Group coaching available

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Iwan, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hi everyone, I am interested in coaching a group of intermediate players. Here are the details:

Venue: Between Yishun and Toa Payoh, only sports halls.
    Time: Either 6pm or 8pm depending on court availability.
    Days: Monday and Thursday
    Duration: 2 hours.
    Cost: $15 for the two hours.

I will do the booking of courts and shuttles will be provided. The aim will be to fine tune your skills to become more like professionals. We can start once there are at least two participants. I will only accept up to 6 people per session.

To give you the benefit of doubt regarding my skill as a coach, you don't have to pay if my coaching skill isn't satisfactory. Don't be shy :) Its only fair that way. And just to clear up your thoughts a bit, I am proficient at multiple shuttle feeding :) and I will be bringing at least 6 tubes of used shuttles for multiple shuttle feeding.

If you are interested in attending the session, please reply to this thread indicating which day you'll be free to join and what time you'll be most available. I understand that for some people 6pm is still a bit early, and to some 7pm is dinner time. So please do indicate what time you can start. If you require additional information such as what kind of training I will be doing, or whether the programme will suit a specific need of yours, feel free to post your question as well. Thanks~

Regards,
    -Iwan

2. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT
    the fee is for each person or all of 6 persons in 2 hours ..?

can i have a free day ? if everything is ok , i will go on ..

if i join in your first free day , i will pay the court fee . is it ok ?

3. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

The fee is per person. Court fee itself is already $14.80 for the two hours :D Anyway, when there's another interested party I'll inform u through a PM :)

4. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT
    now i got 2 persons : me and my friend .. if u feel ok , will we try one day ?

5. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

ok, this Thursday? What time would be good for you?

6. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT
    on thursday , i am not free . How about sunday? after 1pm , I am free .

i and my friend wil pay the court , ok ?

7. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Only 1 court left at Yio Chu Kang, from 1 to 2pm. So I'll book that one for now ok? Please do turn up, and you can turn up as early as 11am since I am coaching another person at that time. Then you can have a look at what the training is like.

#7 Iwan, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Btw, I'd just like to point out the benefits of group coaching as opposed to 1 to 1 coaching. What I've discovered in 1 to 1 coaching, is that there is a lot of time wasted on explanation and demonstration of skill.

So the idea behind group coaching, is that we can cut down on this time by having you as a group take note of your fellow trainee's strength and immitate it. That way your training time becomes maximized. It doesn't mean that I won't step down to correct you though, I definetely will.

What usually happens in one to one coaching is that I have to explain and demonstrate a bit about a certain shot like the dropshot or the netshot. However I can't demonstrate extensively otherwise it would be a waste of the trainee's time too. Probably I'd only demonstrate it one or two times. However, what that person can't do, another person can probably do. That's the advantage of group coaching, you have a fellow trainee who can demonstrate for you the right skill extensively.

The other benefit of group coaching, is that you have more sparring partners of different variety and will pull each other's game up as you progress. And its more fun to train as a group too :D

#8 Iwan, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  9. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

I agree totally. Have had both 1:1 and 2:1 coaching, and the group coaching is definitely a more effective use of time, not to mention a little easier on the wallet;).

10. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hmmm... no reply from Kawasaki yet... anyone interested in a one hour training session on Sunday 1pm to 2pm?

11. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hi everyone, just wanna update the post. Currently there is someone who is interested in training on Thursday 7pm to 9pm at YCK. I'd just like to make a list now and for those interested in joining us, please write ur name down in the following list.

Thursday 29th Sept
    1. Yuris

12. surge

surge Regular Member

hey iwan. i am darryl. keen to join your training. is it comfirm ithis thu?

13. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

I will be booking tommorow morning. Thanks for the support man ;) So now it is as follows:

Thursday 29th Sept
    1. Yuris
    2. Darryl

14. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT

15. nitemaster

nitemaster Regular Member

Welcome Darryl & Danny & others !!!!!!!! glad you are joining us, now we share the same Shifu :D I should be your Da Shi Xiong rite kekeke.....:cool: so be nice to me k hehehe.... or else I will make you do sit-ups kekeke... Anyway, for the benefit of all that has just signed up, I would like to share my experience with you all (imho).

Iwan is a patience trainer who shows passion & dedication. Prior to the first sesssion, we sat down to go thru' what areas I would like to improve, learn & master. We will then discuss & design the training programme together to meet our objectives. I gave myself a target too (to get ten points from him in a game after 3 months :D )

After 3 sessions, my 'fixed' programme details like such:
    a) footwork as warm-up
    b) base line drop shots (direct & cross courts)
    c) baseline Drop shot, net drill (direct & cross courts)

----- a badly 3 min-5mins needed break----

d) net shots (direct & cross courts)
    e) sparing game to put everything together
    f) baseline smashes (direct & cross court)
    g) baseline smash, drop,net, tap drill (direct & cross court)

------ think need another break-----

h) reflex drills (this you will def. have a good laugh from our cheeky instructor), right Iwan?? hahaha)
    i) sparing game to put everything together
    j) after 2 hrs of training, we rest, debrief & review

by then your legs should be wobbily & weak :D totally shacked but shiok!!

Few things to bear in mind tho (imho):
    1) you have to self-analyze your strength & weakness, lay down your objectives b4 1st class so its easier for him to plan/design/review your development
    2) you have to feedback the training tempo with him cos you wanna push urself but u wnt wanna fall dead
    3) bring a bath toilet !!! for your sweat not shower u dude!!! hahaha... face towel is goin to be totally useless kekeke...
    4) water container (toilet has water cooler) n u will nid loads of em
    5) remember to relax & have fun cos then you will luv what you r doing

Like to state for the record (dun wana be flamed) the above is just my personal experience shared with good intentions.

I wish you guys all the best & will def. try to drop by & take a peek or join in for a session.. We can even spar for fun & improvement... Hey coach, maybe we should have a class jersey huh??? wat say you????:D

16. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Wah, thanks for the support man :D About the class jersey... wait a few more months first la :p when there's a good sign of improvement, then we consider :D Hehehee

Btw Kawasaki, will your friend be joining us too? If so please indicate his/her name on the list as well.

#16 Iwan, Sep 26, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  17. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

What an incredibly insightful post. To those hoping to make good use of your training hour, the above is worth considering.

nitemaster, ur standard quite high oredi, after this kind of coaching, how to play wif u;) ?

18. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT
    IM NOT SURE ABOUT MY FRIEND COZ HE IS VERY LAZY . SO , WHEN WILL WE START ?

19. Surf30

Surf30 Regular Member

government
    very keen...

where is YCK sports hall ..how abt yishun sports hall..??wld like to extend to MONdays too...possible same time..7pm to 9pm...:D

20. terror

terror Regular Member

sigh.. i would love to join as well. if not for the fact that i live far away in the east.