malaysian Ladies badminton

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by gemini12, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

compare to other countries like Indonesia, Thailand,Korea and Japan who manage to produce some world class Ladies players.why is it that Malaysia are unable to produce good ladies players while we have world class Men Players.

Its hard to believe we are lack of talent. Sadly as a strong badminton nation, we are left behind in the women badminton. So far we have only Wong Mew Choo to carry our ladies names. I hope BAM will do something to raise the standard of our Women Player.It would be nice to see our ladies command the same respect as our Men player.

2. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

Wong Mew Choo manage to bring some light in the MalaysianWomen Camp. Hope she will lead the juniors to more success in future. Heard we have Julia Wong, Norshaliza Baharom and Anita Kaur who is currently train with the Rashid Grp.

anyone knows anything about these players

3. twdc08

twdc08 Regular Member

student
    the others seldom take part in competitions......bam only sends wmc to play in tournaments

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I wonder who the head coach is for women's team ? Is it still Cheah Soon Kit ?

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    We will pick up soon. I do agree that currently we still lack of ladies players. But we have more gals in the grassroots programme compare with the current 2006-2012 Projects.

However we need to promote the game to more gals and important thing to convince their parents on letting their daughters to play the game. Msian folks are hard to convince sometimes.

6. event

event Regular Member

I have often wondered whether the size of the talent pool were an issue. Obviously, the existence of a proven system is a key factor behind the success of Denmark and Malaysia internationally even with such large countries with huge talent pools like China, Thailand, Indonesia and Korea. Still, when a country can combine a successful system of grooming elite athletes with a large pool of prospective champions from which to select those elite prodigies, their chances of success is bound to be higher. This may be why China dominates both the men's (at least on a team basis) and women's game today. For small countries like Denmark or Malaysia to be competitive, they need to be more effective in their training or more perceptive or fortunate in their selection of prodigies.

Obviously there is going to be a vicious circle effect. If only the men or only the men and Wong Mew Choo show any promise in international competition, then, as twdc08 said, they are the only ones that BAM will bank on and send further afield to compete.

But from a bottom-up perspective, is there any cultural or economic barrier or anything else in the system of recruitment, training or even exposure to the sport that would limit the size of the talent pool for women more than for men? For example, I have only heard of a handful of women who played for Malaysia who were not of Chinese background. I realize that the number of Malaysian players I have heard of means this is not statistically significant and that having only visited the country three times and having never played badminton there means that I have no other insight.

7. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    Yup, he's still the one in charge!

8. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

Cheah Soon Kit is in charge of the Women National Doubles. He is a good coach and he is doing well so far.

The National Women is under Li Mao whom he is currently coaching Wong Mew Choo but I heard Julia Wong and Norshaliza will be joing the national training soon.

What happened to the rest of the Malaysian Women Single? Are they still around?

9. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    woon sze mei was quite a good player

but she became a coach already

10. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

yup... she is good. how about Julia Wong from Malacca. We have a few upcoming player. Hope they will made more impact.

If only our women could win a major title, then only we could command some respect in our women performance

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Interesting observation, but this may produce different answers from country to country and from sport to sport.

First, there is still a taboo on girls participating in sports for many Asian families and I was told that in Iran, the women played out of sight of men in major badminton tournaments, ie, they are not found on the same courts as the men for religious reasons. Badminton is not a cheap game either as the shuttlecocks are costly unless sponsored. Many Asian countries are still economically underdeveloped compared to the West.

Cultural priorities like education being supremely important to the overseas Chinese that they rather see their children doing well in studies than in sports. In Singapore, even though sports talented students are offered a place in our prestigious Sports School, their parents may reject the offer in preference for a normal type school to ensure that their children can concentrate on their studies. So, in the end, the talent pool gets even smaller, unless there is a mindset change.

Even a game so popular as soccer has very, very few Chinese players in the S-League, which is dominated by Malay players despite the fact that about 70% of the population is Chinese. The reason is that soccer is relatively cheap as one ball can be played among 22 children or more in an open field or park. And as a professional footballer, the income is not bad either. Our best known Malay football player has earned a million during his professional career and is now a coach. :D

12. event

event Regular Member

Too true. If you look at a country like Canada, in most areas, any kid has the opportunity to be exposed to badminton at least from age 14. On the other hand, year-round gym facilities and top-notch coaching are hardly geographically or financially accessible to anyone. In Korea, year-round gyms and high-level coaching are always nearby and may sometimes be subsidized for the kids who are allowed or just happen to take the opportunity but so few kids are given the opportunity to try their hand at the sport.

My guess is that in Denmark or Indonesia, the history and popularity of the sport means that almost everyone has the chance to try badminton from an early age and that those who show promise likely have access to high-level coaching and facilities that are dedicated to badminton. That kind of system increases the size of your talent pool even if the population is small. For all I know, there could be similar systems in England, Sweden or other European countries but a big difference would still be that in those countries, there are many other sports with popularity and history that are competing for the countries' top athletes. Soccer is popular in every badminton nation but in Europe you have sports like hockey, tennis, cricket, rugby and skiing that also have long traditions and must have established recruiting systems.

As for women in Malaysia, it sounds like the pressure for girls to do no sports is the main competition for badminton trainers. That sounds like the situation in Korea for both boys and girls, in fact moreso for boys, perhaps, since parents in Korea still see their welfare in their old age depending on the earning power of their sons (but not their daughters). That is why sport for children here doesn't exist apart from elite programs. So the question becomes: is the anti-sports pressure for Malaysian girls stronger relative to that for Malaysian boys (even taking into account the attraction of boys to football) and relative to that for girls in other Asian countries? I know the strictness of policies in Iran has to differ from that in Malaysia but I remember seeing billboards about head-scarves in Kelantan. Are edicts against Muslim girls running around in shorts in mixed company pretty standard? Is Malaysia's talent pool effectively limited to a subset of non-Muslim girls whose parents exert less pressure to avoid sports? I admit I know nothing in this area. I'm guessing there might be some exceptions as this post mentions one of Datuk Sidek's daughters playing in the Commonwealth games.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27581

Still, even if any group of prospective Malaysian women champions faces mere pressure rather than outright exclusion, then Malaysia's tradition of excellence in recruiting, competing and coaching becomes all the more important.

I'm just glad they made it back into the top pool in the Sudirman Cup and I hope their women become a force to be reckoned with by the time the next event comes up. I was especially impressed by the success, late last year, of Koo Kien Keat and Wong Pei Tty in mixed doubles. Was that not a significant upturn in Malaysian fortunes in the mixed event at least?

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    actually, the main reason is that BAM IS NOT MUCH CONCERN about the ladies development, they just concentrate on the males. Cheah Soon Kit had voiced this before, the ladies need more competition and exposure.

14. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

Well, our ladies are not so good in badminton, but they are definitely better in squash. I nearly switch to squash recently. :D

15. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

yes. I have read about that once. This year our Malaysian women have made some significant progress under Li Mao and Cheah Soon Kit.

Even the Junior programme under Rashid and Tey Seu Bock has also improved with Norshaliza and Julia Wong making progress.

We maybe a small nation but i dont think we are lack of talented ladies. look at some of the Junior on the court and competition,we certainly have players but how to get these players and train them to be world class beater.

I have seen the national junior circuit held in various states and i have noted that we do have some good players with talent, height and physique. For example i have seen in Kedah a few under 12 girls and under 14 girls who displayed fine skills.

I feel if proper attention are given to the Junior Programme very soon we have girls who could be world beater too. What is your comment? Who do u think have the potential to be groom to be a world beater?

Wong Mew Choo have set a pace, let hope there is more good news from her and the future of our women who have been sadly left behind.

16. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

Wong Mew Choo now rank world no 13. If BAM starts sending our ladies to more tournament like they have send WMC then not only the standard of our ladies will be raised but the world ranking will also be more reflective of their actual standard.

Keep it up Mew Choo.

17. kienkeatlover

kienkeatlover Regular Member

i think...

ONE THING THAT I AM AFRAID ABT OUR WOMEN PLAYERS IS THEIR LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE. I'M NOT REALLY WANT TO SAY THIS BUT EVERYTIME SHE (MEW CHOO) SAID ABT GETTING THE NEXT LEVEL,THATS WEN SHE LOSE. BUT,IT DOESNT MEAN DAT I DONT SUPPORT HER JUST I WISH SHE WILL MAKE MALAYSIAN PROUD ESP. 4 THIS SEA GAMES IN MANILA.

18. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    hmm wonder if you are really KKK's lover....
    well wmc is defending her gold medal in manila so the pressure is on her....and mind you she has problems with both her knees...so to be out injured and still back playing after a long layoff is an achievement of its kind...a lot of players would have given up...so to all you malaysian badminton fans out there, give her a bit of time....afterall malaysia is not like china where they produce women players like a factory....

btw, li mao is not the womens coach.....so happened tht wmc is put under him coz he is the singles high performance coach.....

19. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    SIF, all you guys forgot about Joanne from the forums.

20. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student

joanne quay?
    heard bout her.....wonder where shes been?
    former world jr MX silver medallist with chan chong ming
    she should still be quite young....
    where is she?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.