Trade-off between powerful smash and steep smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by huynd, Sep 19, 2005.

1. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Hi evryone,

I've been playing badminton for 2 years. In my game I smash quite often and i want to improve the efficiency of this shot. Recently I found that if I smash at full power, then the shuttle go rather flat, landing near double service line. This is because when executing a full smash, my elbow is moving forward to the front of my body. Sometime I find it's better (based on circumstance) to execute a very steep smash, landing somewhere near the service line. I do this by delibrately keeping my elbow near the body. This get me quite many points but i just think it's not powerfull enough.

What do you think about this? Is my technique correct? Do you guys have this trade-off like me?

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    law of gravity will mean that any smash that is hit harder will travel further than one which is hit softer (at the same angle). so all smashes are a trade off between landing point closer to net (steeper smash) and faster, giving opponents less time to react and control their return (sometimes a fast smash into the body can work just as well as placement onto the floor).

you can try adding a little jump into your smashes so your contact point is higher, and can get steeper angle at "same" power.

ps if you search for smash, i'm sure you'll find lots of discussions on technique and tactics!

#2 other, Sep 19, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe the difference is due more to both the height and the angle of the two different smashes, not very different of that between an attacking clear and a defensive clear. A flatter smash means some height is sacrificed, unless you readjust your timing.

4. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    what about a jump smash? or using "more wrist"?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A jump smash should put you at a greater height. The higher, the steeper the smash. Besides height, the angle of contact of the racquet and the shuttle determines what type of overhead shots you hit-attacking clear, or defensive clear, or a flat smash vs a steeper smash. Using the wrist, that is cocking and then uncocking it at time of impact, is still subject to the laws of height and angle. You can have great height, but if you smash with the shuttle square or with the racquet face leaning slightly backwards, you would get an attacking clear instead of a smash. Have you ever wondered why some players smash the shuttle out beyond the back baseline from a high shot near the net? Such an easy "sitting duck" gives you great height, but alas the angle was all wrong.

6. terror

terror Regular Member

agree with taneepak on the angle thing. the angle is really important. i think the elbow being kept close to body thing can be improved. u still keep your arm high up to contact the shuttle as high as possible. but just make sure the angle of your racquet face is pointed more towards the front. thats what i do. i think i used to keep the elbow close too, until i began trying to contact the shuttle as high as possible

7. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Hmm...I don't quite agree with keeping the elbow away from the body. I think in order for a proper stroke, the elbow must be somewhat close to your body, but when contacting the bird, it must (Obviously) be away. Watch the pros and you will see that to smash steep it requires many different elements. One cannot just use arm or just use wrist.

8. red00ecstrat

just a follow up question.
    which kinda shot is more difficult to return? a steeper smash or a flatter smash.(with same speed.)
    what do u guys think?

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Against weaker players, the flatter smash is more effective, because they cannot cope with shots to their body.

Against better players, the steeper smash is more effective. Flatter smashes give them more chances to attack.

Overall, steeper smashes are more effective.

10. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    i very much agree...

11. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    darn that means im a noob lol! and im gonna have to play for varsity....

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Don't worry. "Weaker" and "better" are relative terms ;)

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    power smash.

Use your wrist a little while on impact. This will help you to get it sharper. The important is still on the placing and power. Aim either middle, body or single sideline, or between the body and elbow. Those backhand defenders will hate it.
    Hope this will help you win more games.
    rgds:D

14. red00ecstrat

my experience is that. don't hold the grip too tight. keep your wrist free before and during a smash (let your arm drive it). then lock it right after the impact. ;)

15. peter_patrick14

peter_patrick14 Regular Member

student
    and the steeper smashes result better with tall players than short players and by tall players I mean 1,83m and by short 1,70 or less.
    Flat smashes result better with short players and please don't forget the reply or it goes to the net or to your back, it dependes if you are a tall player I think they will try to drive more, instead of blocking to the net. If you are a short player they will try to block more instead of driving it or other quick responses to your back.

16. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Just come to read this after experiencing how important steepness is compared to the smash power and speed, especially if you hit in an unbalanced position. The fast and powerful smashes were returned fast and flat, passing the front player into the midcourt, while the half smashes were returned by lobs.

Personally, I think Hitting slower smashes that drops after passing the net is a good choice if you are hitting from the backline. I only go full power mode on smashing if I hit from the midcourt on front court, as the power is there and you can have a steep angle.