Computer problem

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Dill, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I opened an e-mail yesterday with a link to e-cards.it (I used to work for an Italian company and thought one of the guys was sending me a card) adn ever since I have had the message TESTTESTTEST appear in various locations around any viewed web pages.

Now I am assuming that this is where the problem lies as all other mails were from trusted badmiton sites (here and Badders.com)

Each time I search for a page it comes up blank and I have to refresh for it to be displayed, all my usual sites with passwords like this one have been reverted back to normal log ins where I have to enter my password again and it is getting more than a bit annoying.

I have tried all the usual virus and spybot checkers and still have this problem. :mad:

Anyone shed any light on the issue?

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I found that this virus checker (online and FREE) does a more thorough job then Norton: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/.

I take it you've tried Adaware as your spyware checker?

Do you happen to use IE as your browser?
    Can you reproduce these problems with a different web browser i.e FireFox?? (great browser).

hope this helps

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Dill,

Sorry, you are SOL.

Back up all your data. Reformat your HD. Reinstall your OS and Firefox. Do not use MS Outlook or Outlook Express. Use web based email if you can. Don't blame on your friend because his/her computer might be infected too.

There are safe *** and there are safe computing too...

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, it's safer to completely reformat your hard drive. And make sure you install a dedicated trojan scanner like BOClean - too bad TDS 3 is no longer around.

Other virus & trojan scanners you might consider is:
    AVAST Professional and AVG Professional

And get the Ad-Aware Professional version!!!

5. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Can you post a couple of screen shots? Does the text varies in size?

You mentioned the text goes all over the screen, does it ever showup on the menu bars?

Cheers!

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Wont allow me to attach :crying:

Have noticed the site adress after the message is www.w3c.com and did visit but am none the wiser.

Not in the menu bars but about in 3 or more places around the pages

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Pete L.S.D. is the man!!!!!!

BOClean repaired the damage and everything is fine, I went out and bought a laptop to replace my old one and then downloaded BOClean onto my desktop.

In the worst case scenario I would have a laptop as the desktop would be caput but after running this everything is back to speed and no messages.

I was a bit worried as I have somehow lost all the discs that came with the desktop (it is old) and was not going to be able to reinstal anything :eek:

I got the following message from BOClean:

09/22/2005 22:58:23: C:\WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL
    Trojan horse was found in above file
    DVPD2 TROJAN STOPPED by BOCLEAN!
    Active trojan horse was shut down. System now safe.
    Trojan horse was removed, registry cleaned.

------------------------------
    09/22/2005 22:59:08: SARS/DUMADOR15 TROJAN VARIANT STOPPED!
    Trojan horse was found in memory.
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINLDRA.EXE contained the trojan.
    Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System safe.

THANKYOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Good to know it worked out, Dill! :D

Hail Pete!

-dave

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, Dill should thank another BF'er who introduced TDS-3 to me :) . I didn't know about dedicated anti-trojan programs before.

Unfortunately, TDS-3 was discontinued earlier this year. I consider TDS-3 truly as THE ONE anti-trojan program that I would use. For more information on the maker of TDS-3, check out www.diamondcs.com.au Diamond has other nifty security programs. A very good resource is the security forum of DSLReports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14418720 The Internet is a very dangerous place for unpatched and unprotected computers and the threat is ever evolving. I wouldn't go online without a physical firewall with SPI & NAT.

#9 Pete LSD, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  10. Break-My-String

It's amazing how many residential hi-speed internet users still does not have a hardware firewall, or they don't even know if they "have" a firewall.

Here's a simple test by symantec to see if your firewall is doing what its suppose to do

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

- Check for Security Risks
    - Go
    - Security Scan

Cheers!

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I have many crazy friends who still connect directly to the Internet without a hardware firewall router :rolleyes: . They think MS Window XP's firewall will protect their computer :confused: . Guess who is getting worms and trojans embedded inside spywares :( and turning computers into zombies and data miners.

12. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    it doesnt necessarily need a hardware firewall. Depending on experience with computers a software one can be sufficient (except for Microsoft products) McAfee is a pretty good one Im usin rite now (Antivirus+Firewall) It gets rid of some of the stuff I've had to manually take out before... good product, more alert than Norton, and less hassel than norton as well.

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    We should hail Dill for taking immediate action to halt an infection that might run amack. :D

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    In the beginning I used software firewall. After reading through the security forum of DSLReports and GRC, I become suspicious of software firewall's vulnerability compared to hardware onesl. It seems software firewall is easier to defeat than hardware firewall. Also, there is the fact that software firewall ties up the CPU and slows down the overall system performance :crying: .

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Here is my take. A cheap wired router with build in firewall, $10. A virus program with good software firewall, $40 and you need to pay annual fee to update. Take your pick.

16. Break-My-String

Additionally, with a hardware firewall, multiple PCs can be protected simultaneously, while software version requires individual & frequent updates (OS patches, definitions, etc.) on all the PCs.

Cheers!

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Forgive my ignorance but what is a hardware firewall and are you saying zonelabs isn't good enough on it's own?

18. Break-My-String

There are pros & cons to hardware vs software firewalls, see the following...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1159158,00.asp

but having just one security product is not enough.

The problem with most consumer hardware firewalls that it only stops in-coming traffic and not out-going, thus you need other software installed on your PC such as spyware & antivirus. Additionally, hardware firewalls are usually part of a router and provides wired & wireless access for multiple PCs.

The problem with software firewalls that is it easier to defeat. When you use all-in-one software firewall solutions, system crashes with corrupt sectors (along with belated OS patches & defn updates) can create a cascading failures on your single firewall solution.

Hardware firewalls does cost $$$ (note: cheap price usually also means cheap quality) usually more than software firewalls especially the freeware & warez!

Pending on your surfing / gaming habits & technical knowledge on PCs, one product may be preferable than the other.

Cheers! :)

19. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    im surprised no one has mentioned the two best antivirus. Kaspersky and NOD32. Kaspersky rank #1 out of all the other AV. it has saved my butt so many times. It is ok in finding trojans but I recommend using a program dedicated to trojans.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh yesss, they are very good AV Programs.