User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

    576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

    145 20.11%
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 154 to 170 of 842
  1. #154
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    LOL! You are all mixed-up.
    Playing an old system becomes second nature, almost without being conscious of it. Changing to a new system unravels some of these taken for granted automatic movements, because, heck, you have to start using your brains for a start. And this is good, otherwise you degenerate mentally at an alarming rate! How is that for a new twist?

  2. #155
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Playing an old system becomes second nature, almost without being conscious of it. Changing to a new system unravels some of these taken for granted automatic movements, because, heck, you have to start using your brains for a start. And this is good, otherwise you degenerate mentally at an alarming rate! How is that for a new twist?
    I'm all for K.I.S.S.

    Keep It Simple...Silly.

  3. #156
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How would you rate both the old and new scoring systems on the following :
    1. Exciting
    2. Not too long
    3. Not too short
    4. Dramatic
    5. Easy to understand
    6. Visually attractive
    7. Human interest
    8. Role models and heros
    9. Easy to do

    There may be other criteria.

  4. #157
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    How would you rate both the old and new scoring systems
    For me, the current scoring of 15x3 is just fine with one exception in doubles. I wish the service line in doubles would be extended to the singles line. This way the server would have more options and the game would be more exciting.

    It would be more exciting because the opponent returning serve would be more apt to lift on a short serve and either clear, drop or smash on a high serve. It would minimize the awkward drive rallies that begin most of the time when serving short in the current system.

  5. #158
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    2,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    For me, the current scoring of 15x3 is just fine with one exception in doubles. I wish the service line in doubles would be extended to the singles line. This way the server would have more options and the game would be more exciting.

    It would be more exciting because the opponent returning serve would be more apt to lift on a short serve and either clear, drop or smash on a high serve. It would minimize the awkward drive rallies that begin most of the time when serving short in the current system.
    It would also lessen the impetus to cheat on the short serves in terms of height and angle.

  6. #159
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by event
    It would also lessen the impetus to cheat on the short serves in terms of height and angle.
    Yes, great point, I forgot to mention that. It would basically be a non-factor.

  7. #160
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BTW the new scoring system of 3x21 points is applicable to MS MD, WS WD, and XD. You cannot get any simpler than that. One size fits all. It is the same with table tennis with its 7x11 points for ms, md, ws, wd, xd. I am flooded with almost daily table tennis coverage but none on badminton. I have a feeling that the new system is geared specifically for TV.

  8. #161
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    For me, the current scoring of 15x3 is just fine with one exception in doubles. I wish the service line in doubles would be extended to the singles line. This way the server would have more options and the game would be more exciting.

    It would be more exciting because the opponent returning serve would be more apt to lift on a short serve and either clear, drop or smash on a high serve. It would minimize the awkward drive rallies that begin most of the time when serving short in the current system.
    But that would make the doubles game more like singles.

  9. #162
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    But that would make the doubles game more like singles.
    Try it for 3 months then get back to me.

  10. #163
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    But that would make the doubles game more like singles.
    yes.
    under current setup, the server is at a disadvantage compare to the receiver. I rather win the rally and let them serve to me instead and help me win the next point easier

  11. #164
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    yes.
    under current setup, the server is at a disadvantage compare to the receiver. I rather win the rally and let them serve to me instead and help me win the next point easier
    I disagree. I think the serve has an advantage over receiving a serve, because a good serve cannot be attacked and at its best could force a weak return of serve.

  12. #165
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I disagree. I think the serve has an advantage over receiving a serve, because a good serve cannot be attacked and at its best could force a weak return of serve.
    I disagree. How many servers are going to go for a good server when they know if they miss, they lose a point? If anything, servers will be more conservative.

  13. #166
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I disagree. How many servers are going to go for a good server when they know if they miss, they lose a point? If anything, servers will be more conservative.
    I completely agree.

    You cannot afford to serve into the net now as you lose a point as well as the serve.

  14. #167
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That is precisely the point-a mistake should be so recognized (or rather punished) and would lose a point. This need for precision will bring out the best in you, for there is no second chance.

  15. #168
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    That is precisely the point-a mistake should be so recognized (or rather punished) and would lose a point. This need for precision will bring out the best in you, for there is no second chance.
    I disagree with this methodology. There's too much at stake on every point. It's not as "fun" nor as entertaining because people are prone to go for less than more.

  16. #169
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I disagree with this methodology. There's too much at stake on every point. It's not as "fun" nor as entertaining because people are prone to go for less than more.
    Even pro players agree with You Drink.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dew-Hattens BADDERS.Com
    This evening the world class singles player Kenneth Johansson went on television to openly critisise the new scoring system of 21 up score with serve or not.

    His basic claim was that since you can score without the serve it would make for far less interesting shots and hence more boring badminton.

    I have to say I must agree with him and I hope more players can write in to the IBF to add their support to this corruption of the game.

    As far as I understand it the IBF beleive that badminton now takes far too long to find a winner of a match.

    We tried rules similar to this as far back as 1985 in the Cockney classic mixed event. I have to say it was unpleasant and boring to play. Just think - you serve in the net and loose a point - so whats the result ? All serves become long serves and players with the perfect defense will become the winners and attacking players the loosers.

    In singles as players make safer shots all the time it would not surprise me if the crowd fall asleep watching.

    The problem with all this is that simply because the IBF wants to attract sponsers using shorter matches in elite badminton then the rules change will probably reach all the way down to your little club mixed match. So in time it will affect you if you don't say your peace.

    So write to the BA of E and the IBF and let them know what you think regardless of your suppot of these rules or not. Don' let just a few IBF council members decide the fate of your Friday cosy mixed at the church hall.
    I heard Lin Dan critisizing this too, forget where.... So now I'm going to say this officially:

    - Any pro player who speaks out against this crap gets put on my NeW c00l LisT

    - Any player who doesn't is Dead to me.

  17. #170
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I disagree with this methodology. There's too much at stake on every point. It's not as "fun" nor as entertaining because people are prone to go for less than more.
    I agree (with DinkAlot).

    Also, it's interesting that two of the best players (Lin Dan and Taufik Hidayat) have expressed their disapproval of the new scoring system.

    A friend of mine said that the new scoring system is like "asking a marathon runner to compete in a sprint."

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I vote for 15 point rally system for Olympics and other majors
    By maximR in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 5
    : 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  2. A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.
    By kwun in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 513
    : 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
  3. New Scoring System (21-Rally point system)
    By MikeJ in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM
  4. new 7 point system??
    By wong in forum General Forum
    Replies: 7
    : 04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
  5. WS Point System for SO '05
    By cheongsa in forum Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005
    Replies: 1
    : 06-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •