User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    That is precisely the point-a mistake should be so recognized (or rather punished) and would lose a point. This need for precision will bring out the best in you, for there is no second chance.
    that is precisely OUR point of view, one dont make mistake by serving conservatively. A great serve requires shuttle flying <1 cm over the tape or a perfect high serve all the time. The risk is too high if one keep serving those tight and flick serves. This is not tennis, we dont get 2 chances to serve. If tennis only had 1 serve, i bet tennis player wont be going for ace serve as much and/or not as close to the line as much.

here is the math:

if u serve a perfect tight serve, the receiver can still return a neutral reply
    if u serve into the net, your partner and coach will hate u
    if u serve conservatively, the worst scenario is a attack return drive which you and your partner still have a good chance returning it and resume rallying.

Unlike tennis, a perfect serve is an ACE---> a point
    in badminton, a perfect serve only give u a neutral return shot(no guarantee of a point).

Unlike tennis, u can serve conservatively on your 2nd serve (if u miss the 1st serve)
    In badminton, if u miss the 1st serve, u lose a point---> baddddddd
    Last edited by cooler; 12-20-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    that is precisely OUR point of view, one dont make mistake by serving conservatively. A great serve requires shuttle flying <1 cm over the tape or a perfect high serve all the time. The risk is too high if one keep serving those tight and flick serves. This is not tennis, we dont get 2 chances to serve. If tennis only had 1 serve, i bet tennis player wont be going for ace serve as much and/or not as close to the line as much.
    Yep, if only one serve in Tennis, everyone would be serving slow(er) spin serves and the serve would be defensive rather than an offensive weapon; and good returners would be teeing off on the serves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as mentioned by some others, extending the rear double service line to the back would create a more neutral position for both sides AND make the game easier to understand for new tv audience.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as mentioned by some others, extending the rear double service line to the back would create a more neutral position for both sides AND make the game easier to understand for new tv audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default for 15x3 system (not 21 rally point system)

how about this service proposal for doubles:

1. side won the rally get to serve once
    2. partner rotate on service after winning the next rally(ie, if player A served first. Next rally won the serve goes to player B)
    3. serve from the side base on score, even on right and odd number on left.

simple isnt it?

In tight games like 14-13 or a set to 3 point, i feel the side that got the rally back has extra advantage under the 15x3 system, they have 2 chances to serve and get 1 more point to win at 15-13 or get 3 points on a set. If we change to a 1 serve per rally won, it would create more tense duels and better chance of a come back.

Any comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    with all those spare time wasted on watching harry potter, u have time to brush your teeth?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would there be a situation in doubles matches where a weaker or new player that has a poor serve, could wind up serving out the entire game and match? given only 1 serve per side, if your team never gets off the odd or even, you could wind up having the bad server serve out the entire game.

this would make new comers to the game even more paranoid. not everyone will decide or take the time to improve their service skills, and this could prove a frustration for new players, which the new system was intended to draw in?
    Last edited by badrad; 12-20-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with all those spare time wasted on watching harry potter, u have time to brush your teeth?
    Yes Sir, you never know who you'll have to kiss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    would there be a situation in doubles matches where a weaker or new player that has a poor serve, could wind up serving out the entire game and match? given only 1 serve per side, if your team never gets off the odd or even, you could wind up having the bad server serve out the entire game.

this would make new comers to the game even more paranoid. not everyone will decide or take the time to improve their service skills, and this could prove a frustration for new players, which the new system was intended to draw in?
    not correct.
    under the existing 15x3, if u constantly cant score, the same players keep serving to the same opponents at score 0, you have a situation that is truly stagnant. Under my proposal, when the next rally won, the player B get to serve. If player B is better, they can get some point. At least, it take only 1 winning rally to get the serve back. If one team dominates, under 2 serve per side system, they can be way ahead before the weaker team get to serve.
    Last edited by cooler; 12-20-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Yes Sir, you never know who you'll have to kiss.
    u kiss butts anyway, i guess my previous post was unnecessary and it does explain the spare time u have to watch harry potter
    Last edited by cooler; 12-20-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just my opinion, please bit my head off if you want.

New system will tilt the game to the advance player. More likly a game between a B vs C level players (assumig B is better), B level player will kill C player at 21 to 5. Also, If I am the C player, I will be forced to serve high and long because I can not take a chance of screw up on short serve. Guess what, I will have to make sure my serve does not go long. Next thing I know, I am getting smashe to death on every serve and lower level player will get discuraged. Beginner will always get killed. Is this the way to promote a great gentalmsn/ladies game? I don't think so. I have alway thought Badminton is a game of setting a fair playing field, give a weaker player a chance to win. If IBF want to see faster game, why not just use plastic shuttle in international match? I think the game will be faster. I will still play 15X3 in the future even if IBF outlaw my beloved 15X3.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the weak server or the new player serves out the entire game and match, then he and his partner would have won a one-sided match. Yes, he would have served from even to odd and back and forth. You get off the odd or even only if one of you wins a rally point when serving just like the old system. The old and the new have the same rule re when to change from odd to even or vice versa-the serving side winning a rally point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    If the weak server or the new player serves out the entire game and match, then he and his partner would have won a one-sided match. Yes, he would have served from even to odd and back and forth. You get off the odd or even only if one of you wins a rally point when serving just like the old system. The old and the new have the same rule re when to change from odd to even or vice versa-the serving side winning a rally point.
    interestingly it figures out that the players on each side take turns serving using the new rules, give it a try - draw the diagrams of who serves at certain scores from the beginning of the game.. no matter how hard you try, the players always end up taking turns serving. The proof of this is simple..
    since the person serving stays in the same place when they lose the serve they will automatically be on the wrong side to be serving when you win the serve back. simple eh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess it would be exciting to see a match end on a service fault...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully IBF to stop this 3x21 rally pts, and not implement it anymore.
    Badminton will loose the part of interesting of the match.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess it would be exciting to see a match end on a service fault...
    It almost happened, can't remember which match...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been trying out the new system for a few days now, all doubles. It is very easy to adjust to it. I believe the scores now more accurately reflect the actual proceedings of each game. Some players, especially those who never play singles get a bit lost about why they have to start their serve from the odd side when there is a service change. One thing is certain. The game is faster now.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast