User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    i guess it would be exciting to see a match end on a service fault...
    Yes, a few times, and why not? A fault is a fault. I have also one game going all the way to 30-29. It doesn't happen often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    This is just my opinion, please bit my head off if you want.

New system will tilt the game to the advance player. More likly a game between a B vs C level players (assumig B is better), B level player will kill C player at 21 to 5. Also, If I am the C player, I will be forced to serve high and long because I can not take a chance of screw up on short serve. Guess what, I will have to make sure my serve does not go long. Next thing I know, I am getting smashe to death on every serve and lower level player will get discuraged. Beginner will always get killed. Is this the way to promote a great gentalmsn/ladies game? I don't think so. I have alway thought Badminton is a game of setting a fair playing field, give a weaker player a chance to win. If IBF want to see faster game, why not just use plastic shuttle in international match? I think the game will be faster. I will still play 15X3 in the future even if IBF outlaw my beloved 15X3.
    Doesn't matter the system, a B player should always beat a C grade player easily else that B player should take a step backward and call themself a C1 player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    i guess it would be exciting to see a match end on a service fault...
    No, No and No, shame on you for even thinking it , the ONLY exciting finish to any badminton game is with a powerful smash or if aliens land on centre court and zap one player with their laser gun leaving the other a winner by default.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AG_Wheel
    Doesn't matter the system, a B player should always beat a C grade player easily else that B player should take a step backward and call themself a C1 player.
    yes, the rally point system will weed out less ability player, faster.
    That said, i think the rally point system rewards weaker player/team with some points other else they can't under 15x3 system. A weaker player (using singles as an example) will have to win 2 consecutive rallies to earn 1 point. Under 15x3, winning a rally to gain service but lose it later will give you no point. Under rally point system, any mistake by the superior player/team still give the weaker player/team some points.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, No and No, shame on you for even thinking it , the ONLY exciting finish to any badminton game is with a powerful smash or if aliens land on centre court and zap one player with their laser gun leaving the other a winner by default.
    If you have an idea that can re-create this on the badminton court, you will have TV broadcasters salivating and paying insane amounts of money. Then we don't need the new scoring system, and all of us will get free NS8000 every week, courtesy of CNN or NBC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default :)

The Copenhagen Masters are going to be played with 3x5
    http://sporten.tv2.dk/article.php/3380305.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    yes, the rally point system will weed out less ability player, faster.
    That said, i think the rally point system rewards weaker player/team with some points other else they can't under 15x3 system. A weaker player (using singles as an example) will have to win 2 consecutive rallies to earn 1 point. Under 15x3, winning a rally to gain service but lose it later will give you no point. Under rally point system, any mistake by the superior player/team still give the weaker player/team some points.
    But which system reflects more accurately the actual play? To have to win two consecutive rallies just to score one point just accentuates/magnifies the vast difference between a weak and a superior player. The closer to reality the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taber
    The Copenhagen Masters are going to be played with 3x5
    http://sporten.tv2.dk/article.php/3380305.html
    it's understandable.
    Masters participants are usually older in age and we all know people over 30 can't change

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    it's understandable.
    Masters participants are usually older in age and we all know people over 30 can't change
    Where did you get that from?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Yes, a few times, and why not? A fault is a fault. I have also one game going all the way to 30-29. It doesn't happen often.
    wow! 30 straight service faults to 29 service faults? who'd imagine... well, i guess a fault is a fault... lol...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    But which system reflects more accurately the actual play? To have to win two consecutive rallies just to score one point just accentuates/magnifies the vast difference between a weak and a superior player. The closer to reality the better.
    The new system is a better indicator of the actual match, since in the old system the score may not reflect the intensity of a game. Only the new system shows the amount of time a team/player has won the serving back.
    eg. If you play against someone where it is a even game but they manage to win more consecutive points, but you win back alot the serving. It will not show in the overall score in the old system. But in the new you'll get a point everytime you win back the serving so the end score will be closer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new system is a better indicator of the actual match, since in the old system the score may not reflect the intensity of a game. Only the new system shows the amount of time a team/player has won the serving back.
    eg. If you play against someone where it is a even game but they manage to win more consecutive points, but you win back alot the serving. It will not show in the overall score in the old system. But in the new you'll get a point everytime you win back the serving so the end score will be closer.
    You are right. It is possible under the old system to have a score of 15-0 which would be closer to 15-10 under the new system. It is very easy to get an old duck, even if you have won countless non-serving rally points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your absolutely right ... rallypoint would give a higher score to the loosing player.... but ah... who cares?

Can someone translate this for me? I think its danish :0

Udskældt pointsystem kasseres

20-12-05: 13:17 | af: Dorthe Løwendahl

Badmintonspillerne med Kenneth Jonasen og Peter Gade i spidsen skal alligevel spille efter det gamle pointsystem, når de i næste uge stille op til Copen*hagen Masters. Dermed skal de spille to eller tre sæt til 15, og ikke tre sæt til 21, sådan som det ellers har været testet i Kina i den forgangne uge.

Direktøren i Danmarks Badminton Forbund, Thomas Lund, siger til TV 2 Sporten, at kasseringen både bunder i praktiske omstændigheder og kritikken af systemet:

"De tre sæt til 21 faldt aldrig rigtig i vores smag, og hvis vi alligevel ikke tror på et system, er der ingen grund til at teste det i Copenhagen Masters. Vi tvivler for meget på det."

Thomas Lund kritiserer pointsystemet for, at der er en for lang psykologisk afstand til 21. Samtidig kommer der mere pres på spillerne, fordi hver fejl koster point. Det vil få spillerne til at tage færre chancer, vurderer han.

I think it says Jonnassen and Gade said the new scoring sux and Copenhagen Masters will use 15x3 ... am i right?
    Last edited by wedgewenis; 12-21-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man.. i think the rules changing is soo stupid just to boost TV figures.. y dont they just call it NUDE (female) BADMINTON, everyone would watch it then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by splitstep
    Man.. i think the rules changing is soo stupid just to boost TV figures.. y dont they just call it NUDE (female) BADMINTON, everyone would watch it then
    but that only attracts 1/3 of potential audience and end up with less viewers than now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by splitstep
    You can do it but only once. After that you get put away. Worse, they may ban badminton. Too high a price to pay on balance. Good try. You are at least suggesting ideas to help out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    interestingly it figures out that the players on each side take turns serving using the new rules, give it a try - draw the diagrams of who serves at certain scores from the beginning of the game.. no matter how hard you try, the players always end up taking turns serving. The proof of this is simple..
    since the person serving stays in the same place when they lose the serve they will automatically be on the wrong side to be serving when you win the serve back. simple eh?
    That is right. How is that for fairness? You and your partner taking turns to serve after winning the right to serve from your opponents.

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast